Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear what other backers of the Duchess gaming table plan to buy. I went all in for the topper and four cup holders initially but now I am hung up on which addons to get. I am considering the following mainly:

1. 4 more cup holders - I typically game with 4-6 players so this seems like a must add for me. I suppose at any given time we probably never have 5+ drinks on the go but if it prevents even one drink from spilling, the savings on replacing a game is probably worth the investment.

2. Extra playmat - If I ever need a new one I think I will be very glad I have a spare. As a Canadian finding something like this at a reasonable price can often be a headache so this would give me a piece of mind I think. I assume if I leave it in storage it will age well. Not sure if I should get the green/grey as a back-up in case I want to mix things up or not though. I'm just not sold on how the grey will look.

3. Card holders - I could see them being used in certain games and I also have two young boys which may/may not be future gamers. I'd love to hear opinions from other parents who have used cardholders with kids though. I am worried they are too annoying to put cards in and out of all the time or that doing so damages the cards too much. Kids aren't overly careful after all.

4. Wing shelf - This is probably the one that I am most undecided on. I understand that a lot of backers want one but for what purpose? Is it mainly to hold food on? Seems like it would only be convenient that way for the two people sitting on each side of it. If I play an RPG I will put the topper on so it's not useful for those. It just seems like a lot of money to put out for something I don't see myself using. I don't think I've ever seen one used in a live gameplay video for instance. Right now I am leaning towards just buying a second playmat and risking putting food trays on the mat if necessary (or on a side table). Would love to hear opinions though as I may not be considering something (using it to divide the table is not appealing to me though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I'd love to hear what other backers of the Duchess gaming table plan to buy. I went all in for the topper and four cup holders initially but now I am hung up on which addons to get. I am considering the following mainly:

1. 4 more cup holders - I typically game with 4-6 players so this seems like a must add for me. I suppose at any given time we probably never have 5+ drinks on the go but if it prevents even one drink from spilling, the savings on replacing a game is probably worth the investment.

We primarily play 2 player, rarely 3-4, so I didn't feel a need for more.
Quote:
2. Extra playmat - If I ever need a new one I think I will be very glad I have a spare. As a Canadian finding something like this at a reasonable price can often be a headache so this would give me a piece of mind I think. I assume if I leave it in storage it will age well. Not sure if I should get the green/grey as a back-up in case I want to mix things up or not though. I'm just not sold on how the grey will look.

It's a good price. I'm skipping it though, and figure I'll spend that money to buy a large third party mat for the topper.
Quote:
3. Card holders - I could see them being used in certain games and I also have two young boys which may/may not be future gamers. I'd love to hear opinions from other parents who have used cardholders with kids though. I am worried they are too annoying to put cards in and out of all the time or that doing so damages the cards too much. Kids aren't overly careful after all.

I fully intended to buy these...but then my wife bought a set for my birthday last month. So far they've been useful in games that are "board games with cards" as opposed to card games. Anything where you often lay your cards down while you take actions during your turn and then have to pick them up again.
Quote:
4. Wing shelf - This is probably the one that I am most undecided on. I understand that a lot of backers want one but for what purpose? Is it mainly to hold food on? Seems like it would only be convenient that way for the two people sitting on each side of it. If I play an RPG I will put the topper on so it's not useful for those. It just seems like a lot of money to put out for something I don't see myself using. I don't think I've ever seen one used in a live gameplay video for instance. Right now I am leaning towards just buying a second playmat and risking putting food trays on the mat if necessary (or on a side table). Would love to hear opinions though as I may not be considering something (using it to divide the table is not appealing to me though).

As we primarily play with two, playing with a smaller vault isn't an issue. I also like the option of putting a laptop on it for an app-assisted game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Ultimately I decided on the extra cup holders and playmat. I suppose there is a chance I won't need either of these but chances are I will and I will be upset at myself for not ordering them.

I just realized I have decent card holders in my Ticket To Ride Asia expansion so I will test these out. I think if I enjoy using them I will ultimately want ones with 2 or 3 rows so there is no point in ordering these.

The wing shelf would end up costing me about $130 CAD and that seems excessive for what I would use it for. I do like the idea of using it for laptops or Ipads as app-assisted games grow in popularity (even though I avoid them now they could win me over eventually) but if that becomes an issue I could always have something made I guess. Using it to hold snacks for two player games would be the main use I think but I can't justify it at that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.