Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those who are still playing with the group you met in kindergarten are kindly excused from the exercise. Those who successfully found a group or even just one other player after moving to a rural area, how did you succeed?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Belisle
United States
Prosser
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WWE. One of my gaming buddies, now a good friend, started from off conversation about the good old days of WWF. Then we started watching PPV matches. We would chat about comics, and so I brought him to gaming through Legendary. Then Space Hulk, and now we are playing Belfort, Blood Rage, Zombicide BP. He started purchasing games now too.

Long story short, common interests leading to intro game that fit those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time, I lucked out and found an established group right down the street. There are less than a thousand people in the town, so the chances of a game group were pretty small. But there it was!

Then we moved to a different small town, and it took a while to get in a gaming groove here. We found a monthly group about 30 mins away, and we went there several times. Through that group, we eventually met a couple who actually lives in our town and likes to play. We have game nights about once a week.

So, my first recommendation would be to see if there are groups in nearby towns - you may find someone who lives closer to you. Also, be patient because it may not happen immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
Those who are still playing with the group you met in kindergarten are kindly excused from the exercise. Those who successfully found a group or even just one other player after moving to a rural area, how did you succeed?

Thanks in advance.

Play a solo game while you're on lunch at work and make friends with whoever is curious about what you're doing. For me now, the problem isn't that I don't have people to play with, it's that the people I find are not in "deep" enough to want to play the same games as me. I haven't figured that one out yet. Finding someone to play lifestyle games with when your friends are in their 30s and 40s is very hard to do if they're not inclined to it already without your influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Add to the difficulty that playing at work/letting workmates in on gaming would not be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on meetup and found a group that meets in the next town over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
Interesting idea. Add to the difficulty that playing at work/letting workmates in on gaming would not be a good idea.

If you work in a job that isn't friendly to playing on your lunch break, that idea is definitely out. Lots of games aren't friendly to being played in 30 minutes, but that's a different problem

As far as concerns about playing with work mates goes, it hasn't gone down for me poorly, but I'm not playing with 6 people at the table all from my job either. It's been more along the lines of curiosity identifying someone I might get along with, we end up being friends, then we play with our partners, meet each other's friends, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Gamer search: misc>find users>find gamers

Looks like a few BGGers in Grants Pass you might contact.

Go to 50 mile range and there are a metric crap ton of BGGers you might contact for a line on a game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for continued suggestions.
I honestly am hoping to see something I've not yet tried so I appreciate the recommendations.

Closest Meetup: No responses for games even though dozens of people are joining every month. Only response I received was asking me to pony up to pay for the Meetup maintenance fees.

Have been PMing BGGers within 50 miles. Results have been:
-Person hasn't logged on to BGG for months or years
-Person receives PM and doesn't respond
-Person receives PM says they don't have a group either but would appreciate if I can let them know if I find a group so they can join, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
jbrecken wrote:
I went on meetup and found a group that meets in the next town over.

I haven't moved to a new area but was looking for a gaming outlet since my everyday friends don't care or have much time for gaming. Did the meetup thing 2 months ago and now I have 3-4 gaming outlets a week as opposed to the once a month or 2 months I did with my friends.

edit: you just posted while I was writing. You may want to RSVP your local meetups and post to see if anyone will respond. Someone has to start the conversation.

You could also make your own meetup group and keep engaged with the members. Make sure people are RSVPing, and keeping the conversations on the page active. In my experience as more people talk and attend the idea snowballs, but a lot of people aren't willing/comfortable to take the first step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas, Christian. Thanks.

I have the feeling that if I don't do he heavy lifting locally then it's not going to happen.

There's one local coffee shop that's really great. It closes at around 4 on Saturdays but it's got one decent table that would be great for board gaming. Think I'll scout 'em out this weekend to see what kind of foot traffic they've got then. I checked out their bulletin board and there's no mention of social stuff beyond local church/school events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashland OR is the home of Funagain Games. Both Ashland and Medford are college towns. Got to be some serious gaming groups just south of you (if you're in Myrtle Creek, that is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.