Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Ans
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I am interested in getting a copy of Agricola (revised edition) but I noticed there is another edition coming out in 2017. Can't decide if I should wait or grab the current edition.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jansar1 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

No Problem.

Theres a bunch of threads on this topic already, maybe just read some of Those? Or tell us more specifically what you are looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2017 edition is the 10th anniversary deluxe collector's edition. High end version with reportedly 1,000+ cards and other premium components. It's going to be pretty pricey, guessing on par with the 15th anniversary edition of Catan.

If you simply want the game to play, I would grab one of the regular editions that are out there now to get used to the game and if you like it, you could pick up the deluxe edition as a possibility later next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer from Mayfair Guru Alex Yeager: There has been some talk about a Deluxe version of Agricola which is currently planned for late 2017. At this time, there are no guarantees as to the contents, price, or availability of this product. The game is envisioned to have different art components, and will retail for a premium price. Compatibility with the current edition, planned expansions or previous editions are all unknown and NOT assured. This will be a limited run, and future expansions will not factor this set into account. No official details about this product will be available until the first part of 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:
The official answer from Mayfair Guru Alex Yeager: There has been some talk about a Deluxe version of Agricola which is currently planned for late 2017. At this time, there are no guarantees as to the contents, price, or availability of this product. The game is envisioned to have different art components, and will retail for a premium price. Compatibility with the current edition, planned expansions or previous editions are all unknown and NOT assured. This will be a limited run, and future expansions will not factor this set into account. No official details about this product will be available until the first part of 2017.

Or 'at Mayfair we really don't want to produce and have little interest in promoting this product.' to paraphrase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a relief. Glad we could get away from that pesky relevant topic and get back to some old-fashioned axe-grinding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

Or 'at Mayfair we really don't want to produce and have little interest in promoting this product.' to paraphrase

Listen, I'm sorry Mayfair broke up with you in high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

Or as a company the decisions are forthcoming and nothing is set in stone yet. If you have such an issue with the revised edition forums and Mayfair as a company just don't visit that section. It is quite tiring to see your constant attacks against a great version of the game, and a company trying to pay its workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

Or as a company the decisions are forthcoming and nothing is set in stone yet. If you have such an issue with the revised edition forums and Mayfair as a company just don't visit that section. It is quite tiring to see your constant attacks against a great version of the game, and a company trying to pay its workers.

NO THEY MADE A VERSION WITH LESS CARDS AND I HATE IT AND THEY MIGHT MAKE A VERSION WITH MOAR CARDZ AND I HATE THAT TOO!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

Or as a company the decisions are forthcoming and nothing is set in stone yet.

DINGDINGDING WINNAH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Dole Melipone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also hate the SAME number of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

Or you could just call it balance and expressing an opinion.

but now you point out all Mayfair is doing is trying to pay their beloved workers I am sure you and the other reg posters are entirely correct. What a horrid person I am to stop their workers having the money to pay their morgages and feed their children

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

but now you point out all Mayfair is doing is trying to pay their beloved workers I am sure you and the other reg posters are entirely correct. What a horrid person I am to stop their workers having the money to pay their morgages and feed their children persue a never-ending mud slinging campaign against Mayfair and disparage any version of Agricola not identical to the original in every way in every single thread I can find.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

but now you point out all Mayfair is doing is trying to pay their beloved workers I am sure you and the other reg posters are entirely correct. What a horrid person I am to stop their workers having the money to pay their morgages and feed their children persue a never-ending mud slinging campaign against Mayfair and disparage any version of Agricola not identical to the original in every way in every single thread I can find.

FTFY

This is obviously not a fair comment. It would be more accurate to say some people on here are not keen on anyone strongly arguing that the original is a better game. Which if you asked all the Agricola fans on bgg would be the general consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

FTFY

This is obviously not a fair comment. It would be more accurate to say some people on here are not keen on anyone strongly arguing that the original is a better game. Which if you asked all the Agricola fans on bgg would be the general consensus.

This may or may not be true. I love the original and haven't played the revised, so I don't know. But regardless, even if it is true, it doesn't justify or validate your bizarre vendetta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:
Yodi wrote:
Mayfair_Chuck wrote:

FTFY

This may or may not be true. I love the original and haven't played the revised, so I don't know. But regardless, even if it is true, it doesn't justify or validate your bizarre vendetta.

It is not a vendetta and it is not bizarre

In my opinion Agricola is the best modern board game I have played. It is definitely the best WP euro game I have played, I considered it near perfect.

How Mayfair have altered the game has in my opinion made it a worse game.

As is openly admitted this has been done to sell expansion packs and try and make more money out of the game.

It is really sad that rather than find and promote a 'new' game that an aspiring designer may have come up with, they have taken a near perfect game and altered it to try and create a cash cow.

I am sure if they held the copywrite to chess they would sell the game without any knights, rooks and bishops and then would sell them as expansion pieces.

It is not a vendetta, it is standing up for the original game that did not need to be carved up like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yodi wrote:

Even if it were true, what does it have to do with this thread?

Honestly I haven't been following this game for long, but you just seem to crop up completely at random in threads which seem completely benign and turn them into an argument about why the original is the best version. My first impression is simply 'troll'.

If someone starts a thread about which version is better, then sure chime in with your opinion. It's relevant and you can and should argue your case there. But your opinion on that has nothing to do with the OP here, who stated they want the revised edition but aren't sure whether to wait for the 2017 version. They didn't ask for a comparison to the original.

But it's more than that - your comment about Mayfair having no interest in promoting the 2017 game, just because they have said they don't have any definite details yet, is frankly bizarre and strikes me as trolling of the highest order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Yodi wrote:

Even if it were true, what does it have to do with this thread?

Honestly I haven't been following this game for long, but you just seem to crop up completely at random in threads which seem completely benign and turn them into an argument about why the original is the best version. My first impression is simply 'troll'.

If someone starts a thread about which version is better, then sure chime in with your opinion. It's relevant and you can and should argue your case there. But your opinion on that has nothing to do with the OP here, who stated they want the revised edition but aren't sure whether to wait for the 2017 version. They didn't ask for a comparison to the original.

But it's more than that - your comment about Mayfair having no interest in promoting the 2017 game, just because they have said they don't have any definite details yet, is frankly bizarre and strikes me as trolling of the highest order.

Please don't accuse me of being a troll, it is obviously a ludicrous comment as you know.

In this thread I was not comparing the two versions. My comment was indicating that I do not think Mayfair particularly want to produce the deluxe version. This has already been put back a year and having read many posts in many places from people at mayfair I do not feel have any enthusiasm toward the project and would quite happily shelve it. That is my opinion, but I am yet to see a post from anyone at mayfair that seems keen to promote it - the comment above from the company is hardly full of warmth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

As a relative newcomer to the game, a 'bizarre vendetta' is exactly how it appears. Definitely bizarre, arguably a 'vendetta' (or at least a campaign) to put people off the new version and kill it off.

My only conclusion is that for some weird reason you have a chip on your shoulder about Mayfair revising Agricola, rather than doing something new and just keep reprinting the original. Despite the fact it doesn't have to be one or the other.

If you struck me as smart and articulate enough to design your own games I might even think they rejected a game you designed and told you it's because they are investing in Revised Agricola instead.

But that seems rather far-fetched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Please don't accuse me of being a troll, it is obviously a ludicrous comment as you know.

Nope - it's exactly what I think. I formed that impression on my first visit to this forum, but reserved opinion. I have since observed nothing but posts from you which reinforce that impression.

A troll is exactly what you look like. If you don't want to look like a troll, stop acting like one. I won't not call a spade a spade just because the spade said 'please'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Quote:

Nope - it's exactly what I think. I formed that impression on my first visit to this forum, but reserved opinion. I have since observed nothing but posts from you which reinforce that impression.

A troll is exactly what you look like. If you don't want to look like a troll, stop acting like one. I won't not call a spade a spade just because the spade said 'please'.

and what a lovely person you seem. Thanks for your input into the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Quote:

As a relative newcomer to the game, a 'bizarre vendetta' is exactly how it appears. Definitely bizarre, arguably a 'vendetta' (or at least a campaign) to put people off the new version and kill it off.

I am quite happy for the new version to be sold, but I would also like the original game to be produced as well. It is a game that won the game of the year after all!

It is the original game that is being 'killed off' (as you put it), by being taken out of production.

If both games were produced so people had a choice that would be great - I would have no problem with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious: why are people still giving the carrot the attention it so desperately wants? Aren't we just prolonging the nonsense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
I'm curious: why are people still giving the carrot the attention it so desperately wants? Aren't we just prolonging the nonsense?

sorry but am I meant to be the nonsense you mention?

I would like nothing more than to not be jumped on whenever I post anything on these threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
coil23 wrote:

sorry but am I meant to be the nonsense you mention?

I would like nothing more than to not be jumped on whenever I post anything on these threads.

I know the feeling.

You may have to adjust your approach. But also: you have to be able to just let things go. Personally I like your passion. You don't seem like a troll to me -- you seem like someone who feels slighted by a company who's changing a game you really care about.

I can relate to that. Descent 2E was a devastating blow to me; I was expecting the next generation of board game dungeon crawls, instead I got some kind of children's mini game.

But at some point you have to realize that even as much as you care about this game, you're just not going to be able to help it from where you stand. That it's just plain beyond you.

Time to throw up your hands and let it end up where it may. There will be other games that move you, put your focus and passion into those ones instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.