Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm taking the term Master Set too literally, but it feels like a master set should be the complete game, and shouldn't need any expansions. It comes with two already, having a third that you can add in... I dunno, I don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The solution is simple: don't buy it!

I'm interested, I hope it sells well.

I think 51st State should have been called 2nd edition not master set, it is more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubby Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:

I think 51st State should have been called 2nd edition not master set, it is more accurate.

Yeah or Remastered, which I think is the vibe they were trying to go with with the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
Maybe I'm taking the term Master Set too literally, but it feels like a master set should be the complete game, and shouldn't need any expansions. It comes with two already, having a third that you can add in... I dunno, I don't like it.

So, is there some sort of definition that says "Master Set" should mean that and not, say, just the standalone game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps they are taking the George Lucas approach. "Master Set" "Re-Mastered Set" "Ultimate Re-mastered Set" "This will be the last Unlimited Re-mastered Set" "Okay, one more because everyone hated Jar-Jar in the last set, Master Set"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:

So, is there some sort of definition that says "Master Set" should mean that and not, say, just the standalone game box?

I think that there is generally an expectation that a game will likely have expansions, especially if it sells well, in order to provide a revenue stream to the business and new experiences to the customers.

A quick look on google doesn't turn up a direct reference to Master as having the specific connotation of complete, the closest that comes up would be main, as in Master Bedroom being the main bedroom.

A quick google for Master Collection, tends to bring up collections that are a complete collection of a particular product line.

A master's set of woodworking tools, would be all the tools a master craftsman would need, including a fair number of obscure ones. Perhaps that's where the connotation comes from for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy for an expansion. Getting too literal about the title is like getting upset that there are over 15 "Final Fantasy"s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this dictionary... it's a good dictionary. It has served me well over the past twenty or so years. I'm glad I bought it as opposed to some other one at the time.

But!

For years it irritated me every time I picked it up.

Printed prominently on the front cover is "latest edition". Not a sticker or anything... printed. On the cover.

And you know what? I'm pretty sure there were more editions. It's not the latest edition. But it taunts me with its claim anyway. (In fact I just kind of roll my eyes a bit now, but it did bother me a lot at the start.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harl wrote:
I'm happy for an expansion. Getting too literal about the title is like getting upset that there are over 15 "Final Fantasy"s.

That's a false equivalency.

The games title is 51st state. The edition is the master set.

If I'm buying Fallout 3 complete edition, it comes with all the officially released DLC. If they then released new DLC, I'd be perturbed.

That's perhaps one reason they generally out the DLC in Game of the Year editions, which gives them more wiggle room.

Perhaps it is an issue of translation, but it is one reason I'm less likely to buy this expansion. The first being the bad taste in my mouth regarding the late delivery of the pre-orders of the master set, and the weird censorship on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
Harl wrote:

That's a false equivalency.

The games title is 51st state. The edition is the master set.

If I'm buying Fallout 3 complete edition, it comes with all the officially released DLC. If they then released new DLC, I'd be perturbed.

That's perhaps one reason they generally out the DLC in Game of the Year editions, which gives them more wiggle room.

Perhaps it is an issue of translation, but it is one reason I'm less likely to buy this expansion. The first being the bad taste in my mouth regarding the late delivery of the pre-orders of the master set, and the weird censorship on their site.

I guess you weren't much of a fan of Summoner Wars. It has 2 distinct Master Sets, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
OP is correct: "Master Set" indicates all of everything. Expanding a "Master Set" is like a videogame putting all of the DLC in an "Ultimate Edition" then coming out with more DLC.

I don't mind this expansion, but indicating that someone has a final, finished product, then expanding said product is bad business. Shoulda called it "Version 2.0" or "Second Edition" or anything other than a name recognized as being an indicator of completeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonçalo
Portugal
Oliveira do Hospital
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devil

This is how does a Master set look like...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
OP is correct: "Master Set" indicates all of everything. Expanding a "Master Set" is like a videogame putting all of the DLC in an "Ultimate Edition" then coming out with more DLC.

I don't mind this expansion, but indicating that someone has a final, finished product, then expanding said product is bad business. Shoulda called it "Version 2.0" or "Second Edition" or anything other than a name recognized as being an indicator of completeness.

Do you have a dictionary citation for that? BEcause it's definately not as clear cut in boardgames as you make it sound. Using the search for Master Set brings out plenty (well 4) instances of using master set, and none of them are complete editions of the game.

Edit: So, I went and looked at the examples more closely and Master Set was used to mean complete edition of a board game exactly once in the examples found by the search - and in that instance it was a specific collection of a war game. In the rest it either meant a bigger starter set type deal (Summoner Wars, Heroscape, Elemental clash) or advanced set expanding a basic set (Duel of Ages II). So it's quite precedented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelly Pantz
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Trouble is, NEW ERA was really the 2nd Edition rather than an expansion. WINTER and RUINS were true expansions. Master Set is really more of a 3rd Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Master Set in this case means Starter Set, as is the case with many expansion prone titles.

Also it came with two expansions.

As for video game examples, Civilsation IV I believe came out with numerous Complete Collections, or Gold Editions or what have you.

In the end, I just don't see how you can be irritated.

I have the Kingdom Builder Big Box. They now have a new expansion and another on the way. Am I mad? No! I'm excited. And I wonder why you are even posting. If you don't like the game enough to be excited for more, then the whole point is moot isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First I thought that this is diluting the whole meaning of the master set and we are just getting ripped. Why wasn't the Scavengers (Ruins) included in the release of the Master Set? Is this depreciating me as a customer?

However, maybe this is about polish humour. In the society we live in, we except to get things that we eventually don't get because we are led astray all the time. This can be a lesson for us. We live in a world of dlc's. 51st state complete master set is only the name for the game. It doesn't mean it's complete. Don't believe everything you read.

Or we can look at it like this: There can never be a master without a slave. Scavengers is the beginning of a complete slave set that will rise to overthrow the master set. Raze everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I get the feeling folks are being rather too literal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.