$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I'm new to board games and needing some advice on getting a new game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus Maia
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hey everyone!

I got my first board game (other then monopolio, trivial and stuff) like 1 month ago on RedditGifts, its called The Resistance and started to play it with my group of friends a couple nights a week.

We really enjoyed this game, it's really challenging and competitive but it's kinda short and starts getting bored after a couple hours of playing always with the same people and because the mechanics are really simillar to Town of Salem and stuff like that.

After that we printed Cards Against Humanity but found the game really boring after a couple of days, since there's no purpose and no competition on it.

Now I'm looking for a new game but I have no idea where to search for so I could use some help from you guys!

Requirements:
- Up to 10 players (we're usually between 5 and 8);
- That lasts for a while if possible, we've like 2 or 3 to play everytime we gather;
- Something nerdy and challenging but not insanely hard to learn;
- Something not too repetitive so we don't have to buy a new one in a couple weeks.

Is there even a game that matches this requirements?
Please let me know, thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools

7wonders, mysterium, mascarade, citadels and deception: murder in Hong Kong are all Games with higher player counts that you might like to investigate further. I think that all of these meet your criteria. It's also good to have a few different things you so you can change it up over the course of a games night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other games that play larger numbers are and are pretty easy to learn:

Camel Up - Which is very different to the games you've tried so far. The base game goes to 8 players, it goes to 10 with the expansion.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - Is another social deduction game like, but not very like, The Resistance. Up to 10 players.

Dixit Odyssey - Plays up to 12 players, is extremely easy to teach and done correctly no two games are the same.

EDIT: But definitely consider 7 Wonders it's very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni C
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of BANG!, but you can give it a try in 5-7 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey, there's loads although hard to find the nerdier ones with a higher player count lol! there's a whole database on this site that you can search but here's a few to get you started with:

Six or seven player
Colt Express
Mission: Red Planet
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Wits & Wagers
King of Tokyo
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! plus expansion
Citadels (2016 edition)
Cutthroat Caverns

Eight or more Players
Room 25 plus expansion
Saboteur (compilation editions)
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
BANG! The Dice Game
Concept
Coup
Formula D
Dixit Odyssey
Dead Last
Sushi Go Party!

Watching the video reviews or play throughs on this site can help you decide whether it's for you or not :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player count you're going for is relatively high, lots of games seat five, but by the time you're at ten it's a very small field, dominated by social deduction games.

I'd also suggest Camel Cup, how about giving Two Rooms and a Boom a go too?

Personally, my favouite social deduction game is Coup.

7 Wonders would you take into 'proper' boardgame territory though, and hopefully hit the two or three games in a session requirement. There are some good expansions available if it should get stale after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Talley
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders

It sounds like you have a good game group. I would suggest looking at really good 3-5 player games and have multiple gaming tables.

This works well at my game group. Everyone brings a few games and people sit where they like. Most games end around the same time and when one game is over they check with the other tables to find out if they should wait or play a quick filler game.

If you limit yourself to only high player count games you are missing out on some fantastic games that play fewer people.

*edit* Some suggestions would be nice for these "fantastic" games. Obviously some people may disagree but I think these are great games and I am glad I have them in my collection.

Ticket to Ride (tons of good maps)
Carcassone South Seas, Carcassone Hunters and Gatherers, or Carcassone the City
Downfall of Pompeii
Vikings
Alhambra
Among the Stars
Smallworld
Stone Age
Trains

For larger groups
Codenames
King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Mascarade as another sort of deduction game. Personally I like this a lot more than Coup.

And Two Rooms and a Boom which has already been mentioned is great with a large group and has a lot of variation with different roles to the mix. However this is better with more players.

The One Night series is also endlessly variable. Start with One Night Ultimate Werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played, but what about Eclipse? Eclipse would be a longer civ-ish euro-y game. Don't recall if you need an expansion for the 8th player, but I don't think so.

Most of these recommendations are kinda tame...party games really. Which is fair given your fondness for The Resistance, and is the easiest way to accommodate so many players. (and I second all those games btw: ONUW, Dixit, Two Rooms & a Boom) Just to be clear, are you playing a sufficiently new edition of The Resistance that includes the roles (with individual player powers)? Like how one player knows who the moles are, one player is trying to kill that player, etc. That version of the game is in my top 10 of all time.

For less brain-burning and more chaos, you could get Cosmic Encounter with sufficient expansions to accommodate 8 players. The variability of the different roles will keep it fresh for a loooong time.

Actually 8 happens to be the perfect player count for Captain Sonar, which is hot right now.

Also, at the 8 player count, you might consider breaking into two groups to get to some of those meatier games, like Power Grid, Terra Mystica, etc. Power Grid in particular is a game that I love. Truly what monopoly should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern board games!

Following on from other comments here, finding a game that has a decent play time and can accomodate many players is a challenge. The trouble is that most longer games require each player to take their turn in order, so that at higher player counts the wait between turns (known as downtime) becomes unbearable. It's possible to play games like Eclipse with eight players (although you do need an expansion) but I would never play it with that number.

However there are a few exceptions. 7 Wonders has been mentioned a few times and it works well because all players play at the same time. A typical game lasts about 45 minutes to an hour and it will play up to seven. It will take a practice game at first to get used to the rules, but after that it can become very addictive. There are also many expansions available to keep the game fresh and gradually increase the complexity further.

Formula D is a racing game that works really well at high player counts, it plays up to 10. Although players take turns, each turn is short and one game where watching other players smash around the track can be fun. A typical game at higher player counts can last 60 - 90 minutes, but that can be extended by adding more laps of the track.

Shadows over Camelot is a co-operative game that plays up to seven (or eight with an expansion). It's a co-operative game, so all players play against the game (except for one player, who may secretly be a traitor trying to make the others fail). Although everyone takes turns, the co-operative nature keeps everyone involved. It looks complicated, but it's not that difficult really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
I haven't played, but what about Eclipse? Eclipse would be a longer civ-ish euro-y game. Don't recall if you need an expansion for the 8th player, but I don't think so.

Eclipse is very long, and massively more complex than anything he's tried to date. It's not really a gateway game I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with expansions for the extra aliens and ships are all you need!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
gusmaia wrote:
- That lasts for a while if possible, we've like 2 or 3 to play everytime we gather;
- Something not too repetitive so we don't have to buy a new one in a couple weeks.

10 players is a hard requirement even without combined with the others. I could suggest several games for 5-6 though if I knew the expected playtime. Is it 20 minutes or 2-3 hours? Does you play of the Resistance take 30 minutes or 1 hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend Cosmic Encounter. Base game holds up to 5, but you can add on expansions to increase the player count all the way to 8 and you'll get lots of other goodies along with the increased player count. It never gets stale and no two games are alike, because there are dozens and dozens of alien species, and the combinations of the different ones work differently every time.

I also second Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, for anyone who likes Resistance. Ideally, play with 6 or more, so you can include the Witness and Accomplice characters.

Codenames and Spyfall are some other good options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Maia
Portugal
flag msg tools
Since Resistance is 5-10 players I thought it was a usual number for a board game but let's stick to max 8 players then!

I have 2 to 3 hours to play with my friends, so games that take 1 hour or more would be nice.

Resistance took us like 15/20 minutes each game lately, everyone's already familiar with it and it's strategies.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to BGG,

PIT is my suggestion, it is loud and fast and works best with 8 players good filler to the other games mentioned here on the thread.

You could also break the group up in to smaller ones to play different games, that is also a possibility. For example, If you are 10 people have 6 play King fo Tokyo and 4 play Ticket to ride.

Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider

Formula D - Fun dice rolling game that lasts around 1 to 2 hours depending on the number of players.

Spyfall - Another 10 minute party game. new version coming out will support up to 12 players.

Sushi Go Party - Along the lines of 7 wonders (another great game) only a little easier to teach. both are fantastic.

Escape the aliens in outer space - hidden team hidden movement game. Has some similarities to resistance in that sense but totally different game play. One of my new favorites for large group.

Captain Sonar - See above. Real time party battleship for 8 people. Crazy fun.

Codenames - Love this one for big groups. Team game with word association. There is a new pictures version as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

7 Wonders

2-7 players

Cosmic Encounter

3-5 players

Dixit

3-6 players

Lords of Waterdeep

2-5 players (6 with the expansion)

Monikers

4-18 players

Mysterium

3-7 players

Sheriff of Nottingham

3-5 players

Captain Sonar

2-8 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously mentioned, I'd also recommend looking at games for 4-5 players and then split into 2 groups. This works perfectly fine and once one game is done, you can mix up the groups based on whatever people feel like playing.

I'd suggest in asking yourself what kinds of games you like to play:
* Do you want to be really competitive and backstab your opponents?
* Do you want to play cooperatively rather than competetively?
* Do you prefer lots of luck (dice rolling, card drafting)?
* Do you prefer making strategic decisions on order to win?

Based on that, users here can give you more tailored suggestions.

Also, it's worth checking out games you're interested in on YouTube - for most games, there's probably a video of it being explained or played (some popular channels are Watch It Played, Rahdo Runs Through, The Dice Tower and Tabletop with Wil Wheaton).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankGus

You may want to list and rate your collection:
How To : List your Collection and rate games (with screen shots)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are some of the highest rated games that accommodate 10 players:

Tichu
Dixit Odyssey
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Formula D
Flick 'em Up!
Concept
Ricochet Robots
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
6 nimmt!
Zombicide Season 3: Rue Morgue
Secret Hitler
Telestrations: 12 Player Party Pack
Two Rooms and a Boom
Mascarade
Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gusmaia wrote:

Requirements:

Is there even a game that matches this requirements?
Please let me know, thanks everyone!

Another vote for Cosmic Encounter.

Junta almost fits all your requirements; it only goes up to 8. It is a fair leap from what you've been playing, but it's not uber complicated either.

It's the player count that's the main issue. Up to 6 is pretty easy, more than that really limits your options. (Unless you want to play social/party games and it sounds like you're looking for something a bit heavier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Prix - up to 11 players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.