3 Posts

Codenames: Pictures» Forums » Variants

Subject: DIY Grid Shaker Legos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Here is my manual grid shaker #4 (first 3 are in the variant forum of Codenames. This shaker was designed to be used with any of the current versions of Codenames. It can be used as 5x5 or 4x5. The marbles are chinese checkers marbles from amazon. I had to modify this many times to get it to fit in the box while allowing enough headroom for the marbles to randomize. I won't get a chance to use it until I can attend another game meetup but feel free to ask questions.

This started out as a lego copy of shaker #3, the long metal one, but I found it was not working as well (I think it was too long to have it safely tilt well due to center of gravity) and decided to move the shaking area to above the columns. This extra wall height became a benefit in adding extra side-peering prevention from players sitting close to the spymasters.

I designed it with white on the inside for maximum light reflection. Being at an angle also helps with light reflection. I used orange as an accent color. The black accent showed up as I originally built it finding what legos I could at the recycled lego store. The black seemed to help the white and orange so I left a little of it (but not on the inside to hinder light reflection). The bottom is two layer because there was not a flat piece of the exact size this turned out to be.

Here is the grid shaker showing how everything fits in box - grid shaker, pictures cards, word cards, poker chips (instead of cover cards). Note the black tilt blocks (also in the box) are detached so the shaker sits flat.

Upside down in box: just for show with tilt blocks in place, it is not stored with them attached.

Tilted in box: Pic to show size compared to other items and how it sits in actual use.

Front 5x5 grid with divider: To use in 5x5 original game mode, the bottom row cover will be removed and the box opened and the row divider can be pulled out. This allows it to be used for both versions (all 3 versions). The row divider is the 1x10 upside down pushed onto the rails.

Back with double 2x4 tilt: made of 2x4 standard height bricks. The tilt blocks have to be removed to fit the box. Orange duck tape surround helps quickly set it back up by putting them in the correct place. The orange tape was originally flat 1x4 orange legos but they were replaced with the tape to reduce sitting height to fit in the box.

Top left corner: showing assembly

Top right corner: showing assembly

Bottom corner: showing assembly

1x8 flat rails: rails reduce shaker width and keep marbles in line. Without them, marbles will not line up properly (main problem designing all the shakers). There are also 1x2 rails for the bottom row (since 1x10 rails do not exist). I originally used 1x10 full size bricks to divide the columns but it really made the shaker take up too much room in the box. Then I tried 1x10 flat but it still made it too wide. The 1x8 (and 1x2) smooth rails make this work well.

Clear window: showing minimal tolerance for window movement. Any more tolerance here was allowing the row divider to move when the marbles were shaking around. Shaker only has window slides on left and right. Window cut with a hacksaw from a cheap walmart magnetic acrylic picture frame (I think it was the size smaller than 4x6).

Since the box is heavy with the grid shaker weight, I prefer to store/tote it around inside a zipped gallon baggie for extra protection in case it drops, everything won't go everywhere.

edit: fixed typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi. Really surprised there are no comments on this. Very good idea and practical. Arguably surplus to requirements given the amount of key cards you get in a game but that shouldn't detract from you great lego building skills and imagination in putting this together. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Talismaniac13 wrote:
Hi. Really surprised there are no comments on this. Very good idea and practical. Arguably surplus to requirements given the amount of key cards you get in a game but that shouldn't detract from you great lego building skills and imagination in putting this together. Well done!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.