Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combatants:
Joel and Bryan

Battlefield:
My office in City Hall

Situation:
I had surged into a lead of 4 flags to 2 with two Wedges, a Phalanx, and simple Host--the result of a poorly played Fog card by Bryan, which let me put an Elephant on a pair of Chariots for a total of 28, where he had left himself still needing an Elephant to make the same total. A cheap flag for me.

However, my prospects at the 3 remaining unclaimed flags looked dire and there were no good opportunities to forge a breakthrough. The hammer blow looked likely to strike at the flag where Bryan had a blue 6 and 7, while I had yet to even start a formation. Six blue cards were on the board, yet I held two in my hand, including the 5 he needed to complete his Wedge. The 8, however, was yet to be accounted for...

Dénouement:
Despairingly, I played the Scout card to look at the next 3 Troop cards. The tide looked certain to turn as I gleefully pulled the remaining two blue cards in the deck, including the blue 8 which was his last chance to make the Wedge. Now I could simply complete a blue Battalion and discard the tenth and final blue card somewhere else, leaving Bryan high and dry and me with a winning 5 flags.

Sadly, I was blind to my vulnerability at not yet having started a position at this flag, so Bryan had ample time to pull a Tactics card that would save him--and both Leaders remained in that deck. I ditched my blue 5 on another position. Then I blundered by playing the blue 8 directly across from him--kind of a HAHA! [/Nelson] maneuver showing that his Wedge chances had gone up in smoke. Then to my horror, out came the Traitor card from his hand, allowing him to scoop up my blue Heavy Cavalry and complete his Wedge. Ack!

Having claimed this crucial flag, Bryan's forces were rampant, and my morale crushed. He completed the other two positions where he held the advantage and routed my troops from the field. A fine comeback, I must admit.

This is a great game, perfect lunchtime fare. As you can probably tell, we get into it and have a nice spirited rivalry going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.