Subject: Auxiliary firing arc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am lost in that, maybe because of ENG-PL translation issue on the cards.
My question is: is it allowed to fire the front cannons AND the rear ones in the same combat phase, or just one (chosen) of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless any effect explicitly tells you that you can fire from both arcs, you can fire from only one of them.

Such an effect (the only one so far IIRC) can be found in the Special Forces TIE, with Special Ops Training:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guido for your help. But is not it strange that ARC-170, equipped with the rear gunner can not shoot from both arcs in the same combat phase?
I do not see any reason for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the FFG tutorial on SF T/F that explains the issue.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/18/special...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
But is not it strange that ARC-170, equipped with the rear gunner can not shoot from both arcs in the same combat phase?

Game balance.

Tail Gunner has a specific effect and this is not it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
nightbomber wrote:
But is not it strange that ARC-170, equipped with the rear gunner can not shoot from both arcs in the same combat phase?

Game balance.

Tail Gunner has a specific effect and this is not it.

No, it's just weird. They could have given it an actual tail gunner and priced the ship appropriately. Same thing with the Millenium Falcon; it has two independent gun turrets in the movies. Traditionally the Y-Wing also has been interpreted as having space for a second crew manning the ion turret. But the X-Wing game just seems really committed to having all of its ships have only one attack, even if that makes no sense or is totally at odds with the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
But the X-Wing game just seems really committed to having all of its ships have only one attack, even if that makes no sense or is totally at odds with the source material.

Ships suddenly get a lot more powerful with more than one attack. Game balance and large-scale fluff is sometimes more important than small-scale fluff in this game indeed, and that's why it's such a strong tournament game.

There are a couple of ships with more than one attack:

* Y-Wings with the BTL-A4 title
* Ghost with docked Phantom
* TIE Defender with TIE/D title
* TIE/SF with (0 cost) title
* Corran Horn in his E-Wing

There's more if you count bombs, and upgrades like Darth Vader that can do damage or Gunner or IG-88B that let you attack again after not hitting, and of course all epic ships except the Rebel Transport.

The thing is that these are really powerful effects. If all Y-Wings would be able to attack twice, they'd need to be costed appropriately, and that would change the role of the Y-Wing to something else entirely than what they are in the lore. And a YT-1300 with two attacks would not leave much space for other ships beside it in a 100 points squadron, because it would need to have a point cost to match.

To me, the 3 dice of the Falcon already include the second turret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.