7 Posts

Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: siege tower movement and traps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi. After years of geeking finally putting my first post.

What a great game! What awful rules. Have spent hours trying to find answers to many questions but cannot find anything about this.

What is the craic with siege tower movement ?

Can siege engines only move towards the walls or can they move backwards because you can basically totally disable one with a trap between a rampart and the wall where one is allowed. Once a trap is set is the tower only pushed back to the rampart the first time it passes over the trap and then can pass it the second time thus the trap just slows it down ? Rules are so unclear about it.

Not sure if this is place to write this next bit but gonna do it anyway.

Mr. Trzewiczek - if you read this (it seems you read posts ) do you send your game to totally independent sources before publishing to see if a total nobody like me can understand the rules and play the game. I am not saying what to do or questioning your policies or anything like that but anyone could have pointed out that the rules were not answering many questions. For such a small thing as sending game and rules to an average , independant person ( the kind that plays games but is not really involved in the wider gaming world) and see if they can play the game. , the game package could be hugely improved. Bad rules just put people off.

I am a complete nobody who does not want to sound off but this one really got my goat. I hope it does not sound like I am ranting or criticising , am just giving thoughts

Anyway , I love this game and its only due to my patience and diligence that I almost know how to play it properly now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, we had that issue last year when the game was first released, the rules were a just a joke.
Later on we helped the guy who writes the rules to clarify them (and he actually did a VERY good job), plus there were many FAQs and quides to help us out. (Check the files section here in bgg)

Althought the rules are not perfect, if you combine them with the above files I mentioned, you can play the game.

Generaly speaking the game itself looks very professionaly made, but the rules and the documentation is very amature, cheap, and complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
Thanks mate just found the rule. Man I spent a long time looking for that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
Also just want to say - god bless the bloke who made the rules file . Fair play to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
Sorry to keep replying to my owm post but I thought I had the rule sussed but upon reading it again it is still hazy.

After going through the file section I found a rule saying that the seige tower must return to the rampart or foreground it moved from and take another path.

This is fine if the trap is between the foreground and the rampart but it still is not clear when the trap is between rampart and wall because the tower cannot take the other path.

The rule does not clarify whether upon returning to the rampart it can then take a further move back to the foreground.

I am guessing that you can and will play it like this.

After going through every forum and file on bgg plus everything on portals website I still do not know the answer for sure.

Help please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not how I read it.

I think if the defending player played his traps correctly, than he trapped you.
You wasted a siege tower, the wood, the units, and the movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
This is how we played it at first but the guy attacking was not very happy about it because he had trouble enough building an engine and I screwed it up easily. Maybe the way is to force the defender to put a different trap down first.

Just wanted to clarify the rule to stop his grumbling

Going by absolute word interpretation I would say you are right but bad rules puts doubt in ones mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.