Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kimmings
United Kingdom
Bathgate
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game from my FLGS before I know anything about it purely off the back of how much I like M&M. I love the fact that it's a two player game too and scaled down to individual ships doing combat.

The artwork is beautiful, like M&M, and the components and card stock is top notch. I REALLY want to like this game.

However, on an initial play-though by myself to learn the rules and then a real game with my regular game partner, the gameplay just seems lacking.

To hit a target, you choose it on your opponents ship and then draw random target cards. You then have random hand cards which may or may not match the target card requirements. If you don't, you just draw new cards until they do match. When you eventually get a decent shot and fire, your opponent may entirely reduce the damage of the shot if they just happen to have the right cards.

You might be able to do some repair work or fire a broadside shot, again, if you just happen to have the right cards.

Towards the end of the game, each of you has probably run out of evade actions (as you can only use each card value once) so that makes it easier to hit each other. But when each area has only 1 plank or 1 crew member left, the maximum damage is only 1. If you have any negative firing icons visible, you can't hit it. If you don't have perfect aim, you can't hit it. What this means in practice is that we were both just drawing cards as our actions until one of us got the cards we needed for the perfect shot.

In the end we just abandoned the game as neither of us cared about who would eventually win.

It's very sad as I SO want to like this as the premise sounds great, but it just doesn't work for either of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sillion
Sweden
Varberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad to hear that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.