Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When facing off against a large creature exp values read X + Y per wound. I'll use Goliath as an example. 10 + 5 per wound.

My understanding of the rules is that each hit will gain X (in this case 10) and each wound inflicted will give Y (5 pts in this case)

So if I score 2 hits and inflict 3 damage the total would be 35, right? (2 hits x 10 + 3 wounds x 5)

So does the exp score for hits apply if the hit yields no damage? Am I even doing the exp gains right on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only score XP if at least one wound was caused. Per hit. So two hits of 2, 1 would score 10+10 + 10+5, but two hits of 3, 0 would score 10+15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
Your formula looks good to me, but as we understand the rules, you only get XP when you actually do damage.
So the hit itself doesn't give you any XP, only when you do at least 1 damage, you start gaining XP.

Edit: beaten to the punch ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright guys,

That's makes total sense. THanks for the answers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm... wow... maybe I've been playing it all wrong. ?
I've been playing that any hero that inflicts wounds would get 5xp for each wound inflicted, and then whichever hero 'killed' the creature, they would get whatever xp from the wounds they inflict plus the bigger number as a bonus for the kill. Think I've been short-changing my heroes of xp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
Hmmm... wow... maybe I've been playing it all wrong. ?
I've been playing that any hero that inflicts wounds would get 5xp for each wound inflicted, and then whichever hero 'killed' the creature, they would get whatever xp from the wounds they inflict plus the bigger number as a bonus for the kill. Think I've been short-changing my heroes of xp!

indeed, thats a wrong way to apply it.

the full xp formula is in fact X+((Z+Y)*5), where X is base xp value for hitting, Z is the number of elite abilities of the enemy and Y the number of wounds inflicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've totally been playing it wrong too! Has somebody got a rulebook reference for this? I thought it was the second number is for the number of wounds that you cause and the first number is only for killing the monster (and if the monster is a smaller monster with only a single number you just get that XP for killing it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
page 25 in the rulebook under collecting xp, subsection on large enemies;

"XP is gained individually for each hit that does one or more wounds to the enemy. the amount of XP gained is equal to the base xp value as well as an additional +5 XP for each wound done."

the example that follows clarifies it well;
2 hits inflicted, one dealing 2 wounds and 2nd dealing 4 wounds results in 10+5+5 for first hit and 10+5+5+5+5 for 2nd hit for a total of 50XP.

further they add the 5XP per elite ability as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this all up. I was sort of wondering why larger monsters seemed sort of "meh" for XP. I was totally calculating it wrong. After re-reading the description on page 25 as suggested, I now see the error of my ways! Can't believe I missed it. Thanks for bringing this all up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had problems with the basic math (xp for wounds + hits), but I missed the +5xp per elite ability. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so the +5xp per elite ability is for each wound inflicted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, per hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gotcha. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.