Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded some snapshots of my latest gaming project.

As you that already have the game know - the original box insert is too flimsy -- mine came from my local game store in the condition shown.

I wanted a Broken Token insert for this game BUT they don't make one (yet). I voted for one on their website but I figure it's gonna be awhile.

The good news is the box is virtually identical in size to the box for Imperial Settlers so I ordered a broken token insert for that game and did some modifications to hold the board.

The mods were pretty easy. Measuring and cutting the insert to make a large "notch" to hold the board and rules. I used my Foredom rotary tool with a grinding wheel to make the cuts but a Dremel tool should work just as well.

I made the notch 1/8" deep - however, if I did this again, I would make it 3/16" deep so the rules and player mats would fit better. I’m happy with this project as it is and don’t feel like making all those cuts again so I’m gonna leave it well enough alone.

Here's the finished product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Ramos
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleRealty.com will be releasing this insert next week with an acrylic overlay. FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks good.
Coming from someone who almost always bags their components, isn't it annoying to have the individual player colors stored in one big tray so that you can't hand out pieces to individuals? For the resources cubes, you can just set that tray out, but isn't grabbing any kind of cube out of a square tray tricky/a nuisance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I come from the plastic bag storage camp, too. That's how all my wargames are stored.

Both things you mention can be an issue. For the player tokens, you don't usually need all of them -- I just grab a handful for each player and set the tray aside. I like the separate plastic storage bin solution that one other forum poster suggested, too.

As to taking the money tokens out of the trays. This is also a bit of an issue -- square tray with cubes that want to line up in nice rows. I just grab some out of the tray and make a bank pile for play. Pulling out more if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aminda Courtwright
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is awesome, I love the can do creativity AND it's lots of great feedback for when The Broken Token gets ready to make an insert!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have one now - Broken Token insert for Terraforming Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to mention a few nice things about our organizer. The card tray doubles as a card shoe that stands on its end. Makes it very easy to draw and discard cards.

We also decided to abandon the player trays that come with the game. The layout of the cubes really isn't that optimal. So our new trays have better spacing and provide higher-numbered slots to make it easier to track higher production values. Also, you store your player cubes in the tray itself which shaves some time from setup and makes them very easy to access during gameplay.

We've also made some really cool acrylic tokens to replace the white cubes that come with the game.

Two separate currency trays make it easier to access the metal cubes from opposite ends of the table. Those trays also hold tiles which puts them in the reach of everyone.

The expansion board will fit on top, but it will lift the lid a little bit. This won't affect the integrity of the storage solution, but if you're worried about the lid, you can always throw a box band on it and it'll store vertically just fine.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vious
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gspence wrote:
We also decided to abandon the player trays that come with the game. The layout of the cubes really isn't that optimal. So our new trays have better spacing and provide higher-numbered slots to make it easier to track higher production values. Also, you store your player cubes in the tray itself which shaves some time from setup and makes them very easy to access during gameplay.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Could you advise what the measurements of the player trays are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I notice that broken token sells the acrylic ocean and forest tiles which seem cool. Do those fit in the broken token insert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twesterm wrote:
I notice that broken token sells the acrylic ocean and forest tiles which seem cool. Do those fit in the broken token insert?

They will fit, but they are about twice the thickness of the cardboard, so if you put them in the hex trays, you won't fit as many. Also, since they aren't double-sided, this will cause you to eat up a bit more space. There is however, room in the card tray for now, if you wanted to keep some in a bag, in that area. So there are definitely a couple of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.