Subject: Advice for a cooperative newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I'm totally new to deck building games. My wife, being a fan of the Harry Potter series, was super excited when she received Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts, and we LOVE it. So she decided that she'd like to look into more cooperative deck building games and found this one.

I've been doing some brief reading and found that the Alien variant to this game is better for cooperative play but not AS much for replayability. She's not interested in Alien at all.

I was hoping everyone here could offer some information on just how cooperative this one is and which expansions we should get with the base game to make this the best cooperative experience possible.

My wife and I thank you so much for your help and guidance in finding the right ones for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGorman
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for pure co-op just avoid the villains set and the fear itself set

beyond that pick marvel characters you enjoy and see what expansions they are in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with the base set and play the suggested setup for a first game. It will get you the mechanics and is a fairly easy scenario. After that I would mix and match. After you decide you love it, I would suggest Legendary: Dark City as the next expansion, because it has a lot of bang for your buck. Then I would consider in whatever order you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Legandary Encounters has more direct cooperative elements while in Marvel Legendary the cooperation tends to be more on the strategic level.

You need to decide who is going to draft which cards so that your decks have more synergy. Certain cards give you the choice of taking a bonus yourself or giving it to another players. Other cards might impose a penalty on other players (like forcing them to take a wound) and you will want to strategize whether playing the card is a good idea.

Certain plots require a lot of coordination between players while others let you play a "fight whatever you feel like" loose strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stay away from the Villains and Fear Itself which are designed for a more competitive game style. Most of the other sets don't negatively affect the other players much.

When it comes down to it though, there isn't altogether too much cooperation in Marvel Legendary. You can plan with other players about what to do, but there isn't too much you can do to support them.

That being said, I play cooperatively most of the time, just ignoring the VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KT_Cobra wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm totally new to deck building games. My wife, being a fan of the Harry Potter series, was super excited when she received Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts, and we LOVE it. So she decided that she'd like to look into more cooperative deck building games and found this one.

Cool! I plan to have that game under the tree for the family this Christmas. My daughter just finished the 7th book this past week.

KT_Cobra wrote:
I've been doing some brief reading and found that the Alien variant to this game is better for cooperative play but not AS much for replayability. She's not interested in Alien at all.

My wife, too, has zero interest in Alien. Or Predator (me either on that one). We did get Legendary Encounters: Firefly lately. Haven't played it enough to tell you about its replayability, but it too is full co-op. Seems to me more complicated so far, but then I've played one game of that vs. many hundreds (or maybe thousands?) of Legendary Marvel.

KT_Cobra wrote:
I was hoping everyone here could offer some information on just how cooperative this one is and which expansions we should get with the base game to make this the best cooperative experience possible.

My wife and I play it almost entirely co-op. Yes, we tally up victory points at the end to see "Who is the most Legendary hero" but it's just an afterthought. The main thing is whether or not you beat the Mastermind before their scheme is complete. When playing with characters that have some harmful effects to other players (most characters who have spent some time in the comics as villains such as Punisher, Emma Frost, etc.) we tend to avoid recruiting those cards, or will consult with each other before playing one to see if it will adversely affect their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Semi-Coop Rules

-Get the Guardians of the Galaxy set and play the Infinity Gauntlet scheme.
-Win by being evil.
-Get in a fight.

Or you know, no victory points. We don't exactly play competitive even if we count points. It's like Dead of Winter's "we won, but I won more than you" dilemma. It always is fine not getting Play of the Game.

The best "friendliest" expansion I think might be Civil War (shocker!) for the fortifications and coordinated attacks. Anything that affects the city spaces often help in creating an atmosphere of cooperation. Not the best cards in the game, but they can be quite thematic. Or Star Lord leeching off other people's artifacts works everytime.

It's a very varied game, so just take things in slowly, and always fight the harder bosses for more cooperation.

Bullet pointy things:
-Purchase order (I personally prefer buying chronologically, but hey):
*Base Set
*Dark City (a requirement, really)
*Paint the Town Red (Spider-Synergy is fun, too)
*Guardians of the Galaxy (Star Lord, Groot, and Gamora, plus shards)
*Civil War
*Captain America (Savior traits, Masterminds)
(Fantastic Four would be great for decking cards out/appropriating recruit points, but good luck in finding one)

and then worry about the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Marvel Legendary completely cooperatively, but some of the cards are going to seem strange such as the ones that allow you to rescue a Bystander. If the Scheme or Mastermind don't care about Bystanders in your Victory Pile, then the only benefit of rescuing Bystanders is to give you more Victory Points. Which won't matter if you're only goal is to defeat the Mastermind together.

But I like the extra little edge that competing for Victory Points gives to the game. There might be a situation where I can defeat the Mastermind for the last time to end the game, but if I've been keeping track of everyone's Victory Points I might realize that I won't have the most if I end the game right then. So then I have to make an interesting decision -- should I end the game now and chalk up a win against the Mastermind, but lose on Victory Points, or keep the game going in the hopes of getting more Victory Points later? But if I keep the game going, I run the risk of losing the entire game if we are never able to hit the Mastermind that one last time again. It's fun to figure that situation out. It's very "Press your luck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
You can play Marvel Legendary completely cooperatively, but some of the cards are going to seem strange such as the ones that allow you to rescue a Bystander. If the Scheme or Mastermind don't care about Bystanders in your Victory Pile, then the only benefit of rescuing Bystanders is to give you more Victory Points. Which won't matter if you're only goal is to defeat the Mastermind together.

Additionally, with expansions the bystanders do more. Take the Banker, Paramedic, Radiation Scientist, News reporter, Comic Shop Keeper, Alligator Trapper, and Undercover Agent for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.