Subject: Best Way to Get Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I would see that getting the expansions would be worthwhile for the cards, but is it more efficient to get more of the same tanks another way or should I just plan on buying enough expansions as I am ready?

I just got the base game and a couple of expansions, but it looks like a much more approachable miniatures game so it it may be worth expanding more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add on to your question, do the single tank expansions for the Panther and Sherman contain unique/different cards than are in the starter set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the tank cards themselves are the same as in the starter set, and many of the generic upgrades do overlap, they do include different hero upgrades, so you can get those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
While the tank cards themselves are the same as in the starter set, and many of the generic upgrades do overlap, they do include different hero upgrades, so you can get those as well.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The tank models are the same as those used in Flames of War and FoW:Open Fire. If you can get those cheaper than the Tanks expansions then go for it. You will need the expansions only for the cards. You should be also able to use any other 1/100 scale tank models if you can get those.

They are planning on selling a standalone deck of upgrade cards but that has not been finalized yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Does having multiple of the same card add any value?

The Tanks ones seem cheaper than the Flames of War ones in my brief skimming of Miniature Market. Looks like the Tanks version is the better deal, ironically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
msg tools
I think it really depends.
If you need more cards then you will want to buy the actual expansions.
If you have the cards but no tanks to go with them; then sometimes going with their standard plastic kits or Open Fire boxes can make sense.
For example;
The Starter Set comes with cards for the Sherman V and the Firefly. In the Flames of War online store you could purchase the Open Fire Sherman V set which comes with 2 Shermans. It also has the option to build Fireflies instead. So you could build 1 of each and just use the cards from the Starter set. The cost would be $15.00 plus shipping in the U.S.
My LGS usually has some of the Flames of War & Open Fire kits in stock so I do not even need to pay the shipping. So I am saving about $5.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
msg tools
azmod2000 wrote:
The tank models are the same as those used in Flames of War and FoW:Open Fire. If you can get those cheaper than the Tanks expansions then go for it. You will need the expansions only for the cards. You should be also able to use any other 1/100 scale tank models if you can get those.

They are planning on selling a standalone deck of upgrade cards but that has not been finalized yet.

I received a message from Chris @ Tanks on another forum a few days ago and he mentioned that they have no plans for a separate card deck at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few advantages to having multiple copies of the generic cards. For example, running multiple Radio Operators could give you a potentially significant initiative advantage (particularly if you know you're facing an opponent who tends to tie you on Initiative). Due to the abstracted nature of the game, duplicates of the same tank really aren't that important (unlike X-Wing or Attack Wing, where having similar flight profiles can make an enormous difference in strategy and tactics), and duplicates of Hero cards is right out - but the latter are unique to the particular tank set they come in, so you never have to worry about ending up with cards you really can't use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Zvezda and PSC have growing lines of 1/100 (15mm) tanks.

Zvezda kits are (mostly) well-engineered no-glue snap kits and can be had for $4-$5 each. I've been picking these up lately from AtomicEmpire and HobbyLinc.

PSC makes sense if you want 4-5 of each unit. More of a model kit and generally a few more pieces than the Zvezdas, they go together rather nicely. A box of 5 kits run anywhere from $20-$30. Check out AtomicEmpire, TableTopNow and BGG's favorite son NWS Northwest Gaming Store.

And if you have A&A Miniatures, the tanks are 1/100 (15mm) scale from the 1939-1945 set on and are already painted. Additionally, they're made of a softer plastic and far more durable. No worries about tossing them loosely in a box. Downside is that the game is OOP and the rarer tanks can be pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Shei Li wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:

I received a message from Chris @ Tanks on another forum a few days ago and he mentioned that they have no plans for a separate card deck at this time.

Correct.

I was basing my post on a preorder listing at Miniature Market but that is an error on MM's part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
andrews777 wrote:

The Tanks ones seem cheaper than the Flames of War ones in my brief skimming of Miniature Market. Looks like the Tanks version is the better deal, ironically.

If you are going to do any official competitions you will need an original card for each tank you field.

Barring a single deal I found on Amazon, buying the Tanks expansions actually works out cheaper for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
Shei Li wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:

Correct.

I was basing my post on a preorder listing at Miniature Market but that is an error on MM's part.

How would they pull a pre-order like this without some indication of it from the publisher?

It is more likely GF9 changed their minds, on the priority at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
msg tools
andrews777 wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:
Shei Li wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:

Correct.

How would they pull a pre-order like this without some indication of it from the publisher?

It is more likely GF9 changed their minds, on the priority at least.

According to the response from Chris; it was an idea they had been considering; but, it was pulled from production prior to the game being released.
He also said that stores should not be advertising it as a pre - order.

Frankly I think that a card deck might be a bit premature at this point. Especially since there are already 3 new expansion units coming out this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:

The thing to keep in mind is the FoW sets come with decals and commander figures which may be of interest to people who lean more towards the modeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.