Casey Blakley
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
Me:
Love pretty much any game out there, and willing to try anything. Some of my favorites include: Resistance, Alhambra, Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Citadels. I'm easy to please, but word games are probably my least favorite.

My wife:
This is where it gets tricky. She likes word games, and tile laying games as long as they don't last too long. She loves: Resistance, Gin Rummy.
She tolerates: Alhambra, Coup, Ticket to Ride, Citadels.

What I'm looking for is a good 2 player game that we both will enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does she like deduction? Beyond Baker Street is a hit with my spouse.

Not exactly tile laying, but Patchwork is also a big hit for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Blakley
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
These could both be a possibility. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
Battleline
Patchwork
Jaipur
Pente
Agricola All Creatures Big and Small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur would be perfect for a Gin Rummy fan!

Also have a look at Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Traders of Osaka, Fungi and Biblios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at the Mystery Rummy series, like Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz.

It's not flashy, but we've been playing a bunch of Canasta (we have the Canasta Caliente set, but we don't play with the Caliente extra cards). A Gin Rummy fan might enjoy that.

You might look at Lanterns: The Harvest Festival and Cacao.

They're a little different, but Suburbia, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Walnut Grove each have a tile laying element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nyquist

Turlock
California
msg tools
7 wonders: Duel and Onitama have proved to click with my wife. She normally will not play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorites include Suburbia and Castles of Burgundy (both are tile-laying, city-building "engines").
I haven't played Castles of Mad King Ludwig, but based on what I've seen, it's in the same category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you tried Carcassonne? It's a tile laying game that I love to play with my husband! The base game doesn't take too long, but you could always remove tiles to make it shorter (shouldn't affect play too much).

Alhambra drags on a bit for me with only 2 players.

Now, Villages is a rummy-like card game that also incorporates attacking. Not sure if your wife would be into this or not. You're building a "village" out of like-colors and need to have 3 of the same color to put down a village. Once you play a village, you can attack other player's villages to try to expand yours or take over a card you need to make a new village of your own. The goal of the game, however, is collecting coins (each card on the table has a coin value). Once one player is out of cards in their hand you count up your coins. The winner is the first to a certain number of coins, with the game played out over multiple rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Blakley
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks, we have played Carcassonne. I've never played with 2 players. She tolerates the game, but it's not her favorite. Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cacao is a nice tile placing game.

Also +1 for Patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't beat cribbage for a quick game that is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously mentioned, I would guess both Patchwork and Castles of Mad King Ludwig would work for you. Both are fun tile laying games. Patchwork feels like Tetris but with a cutesy theme. Castles is simply buying tiles and building your own gigantic castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Drake
United States
Pomona
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with everyone on Patchwork. My wife and I love that game. I would also recommend Machi Koro and Dice Heist as quick light games.

If you haven't tried playing 7 Wonders using the 2 player entwife variant that was suggested in the Among the Stars forum, it is awesome. You set up for a 4 player game, but two of the drafting hands become draw piles. Every turn, you draw an extra card and discard a card. Works great for 7 Wonders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
We exclusively play with two and highly recommend the following

Gaïa
Limes
OddVille
Suburbia
The Hanging Gardens
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Kodama: The Tree Spirits
Seeland
Sunrise City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is excellent fun with two players.

Actually to extend this [edited], if you enjoy a more complex game and your wife likes a more focussed experience, you could also try Fury of Dracula. Playing the hunters as one player is fairly challenging, while playing Dracula is a lot of misdirection and ambushing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 10 favorite 2p games are (spreading from #10: works well with 2p+ to #1: a nightmare to play 2p+. All works well with 2p) based on playing with my s.o.

10. Carcassonne
9. Suburbia
8. Nations
7. Dominion
6. Caylus
5. Cv
4. Firefly
3. Relic (or Talisman, any edition)
2. Tales of Arabian nights
1. Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludstifer wrote:
My top 10 favorite 2p games are (spreading from #10: works well with 2p+ to #1: a nightmare to play 2p+. All works well with 2p) based on playing with my s.o.

4. Firefly

But Firefly is basically a simultaneous solitaire. The only real interactions is when something really juicy ends up on a discard pile and multiple people race to get it first.

I will also Thumbs up PatchWork.

My wife and I got some good miles out of Dragonwood which is a simple rummy like game of beating monsters. Plays pretty easily and is a nice light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klimpel
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Keep Calm and Chive On "Probably the best site in the world"
badge
We the Klimpels love to game
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has mentioned the tile laying word game. Have you tried bananagrams? My wife and mom love to play that together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McGuckin
msg tools
Lost Cities is our favorite two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanterns sounds like a good bet for her that you would also enjoy.

Paperback may be worth a look, even though word games aren't your personal favorite, because you can do pretty well by improving your deck-building strategy, rather than knowing a lot of words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroftis a very fun 2 player game. It is worker placement with card drafting and set collection and an interesting end game scoring mechanic. This was a nice little find for me.

I'd also give a +1 to:
7 Wonders Duel
Cacao
Lost Cities
Targi

The Castles of Burgundy is a great 4 player game that is terrific with 2 players.

Oh, and as just mentioned Paperback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Patchwork
Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Patchwork. But it is ONLY 2 player
TtR UK/Penn works well at 2 will go to 4
TtR Nordic works well at 2. Will go to 3
Arboretum 2... 4 work well
+1 Carcassonne
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases but wait for the new edition. Should be here soon.
Kodama: The Tree Spirits works well 2..4 but @4 really wants a minor variant on the rules (draft the Kodama cards)

Word games:
+1 Bananagrams
Zip-It A faster (over in five minutes TOPS!) version of Bananagrams but only 2 players.

My personal favourite of these is Arboretum.

Also check out what couples have been playing. Here is the master list:
What Couples Have Been Playing Monthly Geeklist SUBSCRIPTION THREAD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.