Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Variants

Subject: Suggestions for Speeding Up Betrayal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lacy
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Anyone have any good house rules they've used to speed up a game of Betrayal somewhat (or at least make the timing slightly more predictable), without sacrificing the fun of exploring the House?

A group of us are wanting to play during the lunch hour at work, but we tried a couple of weeks ago and we had just started the Haunt when we ran out of time.

We may try starting from where we left off (we took tons of photos of everything), but the different phases of the game appeal to different players so I'd like to keep the two phases basically in-tact.

Ideas are welcome! But I'd especially love to hear if anyone's actually had success with a particular variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tested this, but what about foregoing the haunt roll and instead triggering on the nth omen? You'd still be at the mercy of the room tile stack, though. If you really want to control when the nth omen is found, you could seed the room tile stack so the omen rooms are equally distributed.

Alternately you could stipulate that after a certain amount of time, the next omen automatically triggers the haunt. Still make the haunt rolls before that point, but if you've been playing for 10-15 minutes and are still exploring, make the next omen automatically trigger. It should give you sufficient time to play through the haunt portion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lacy
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Dave41fan wrote:
I've never tested this, but what about foregoing the haunt roll and instead triggering on the nth omen? You'd still be at the mercy of the room tile stack, though. If you really want to control when the nth omen is found, you could seed the room tile stack so the omen rooms are equally distributed.

Alternately you could stipulate that after a certain amount of time, the next omen automatically triggers the haunt. Still make the haunt rolls before that point, but if you've been playing for 10-15 minutes and are still exploring, make the next omen automatically trigger. It should give you sufficient time to play through the haunt portion.

Great ideas, we might try one of these options tomorrow. If we do I'll try to remember to report on how it goes. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You can also lay out the first few rooms of the house and flip them when you land on them and tweak the layout as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using less dice for the Haunt roll? Increases odds of rolling under the current number of Omen cards, trigger Haunt sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.