9 Posts

Bohnanza» Forums » General

Subject: How do you pitch Bohnanza as fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
culix _
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you propose playing Bohnanza at game night, how do you explain it in a way that sounds fun?

I love Bohnanza. It's a great game. I find that if people play it once they love it and want to play more. But I haven't found a good way to explain it that gets people excited. If I say "It's a game about trading and planting beans", eyes glaze over. So what do you say?

Last time I tried "Bohnanza is a game about negotiation, and convincing other people you have great ideas". There were several competitive players in the group, so that got a lot of interest

Any other great pitches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but they're sentient beans. This game represents a speculative fiction thought exercise.

In the far future, after we have discovered how to give even animals sentience and human level intelligence, mankind sets their sights on beans. After a science experiment gone awry, beans the world over gain sentience. They grow eyeballs and mouths. How do we continue eating these beans knowing they feel pain the same way that a human does? Do we have the right to bury them alive just to satiate our bean lust?

In time, as you can see by the cards, some of these sentient beans become the farmers themselves. They become the middle man and they plant their brethren for us and we simply come in and pay them to harvest the husks. To make matters worse, humans pay them with coins that have images that try to sanitize the death of these beans, depicting them as rich angels that have just gone off to a better world.

You can see some of the depictions of these horrific acts on the third bean field card. That picture was released to the public. There you can see an innocent bean buried to his eyeballs, his death glare looking directly at you. This image stirred a new civil rights movement in that future age and many battles are to be fought soon.

So, the theme behind this game is that we are bean traders, selling sentient beans to die a gruesome death, buried alive, just so they can be eaten by humans. Which role will you play in that future?

I don't know that I would describe this game as "fun." It is a moral lesson in the evils of humanity and it needs to be approached in a serious manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I call it the BEAN GAME and because we're so excited when we mention playing it it hits the table with anticipation every time.

As for introducing games to play I never "ask" what my guests want to play and I always speak enthusiastically about games I pull out to play so I rarely get a negative response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culix wrote:
When you propose playing Bohnanza at game night, how do you explain it in a way that sounds fun?

I love Bohnanza. It's a great game. I find that if people play it once they love it and want to play more. But I haven't found a good way to explain it that gets people excited. If I say "It's a game about trading and planting beans", eyes glaze over. So what do you say?

Last time I tried "Bohnanza is a game about negotiation, and convincing other people you have great ideas". There were several competitive players in the group, so that got a lot of interest

Any other great pitches?

It's about trading and planting beans. 'Nuff said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Ah, but they're sentient beans. This game represents a speculative fiction thought exercise.

In the far future, after we have discovered how to give even animals sentience and human level intelligence, mankind sets their sights on beans. After a science experiment gone awry, beans the world over gain sentience. They grow eyeballs and mouths. How do we continue eating these beans knowing they feel pain the same way that a human does? Do we have the right to bury them alive just to satiate our bean lust?

In time, as you can see by the cards, some of these sentient beans become the farmers themselves. They become the middle man and they plant their brethren for us and we simply come in and pay them to harvest the husks. To make matters worse, humans pay them with coins that have images that try to sanitize the death of these beans, depicting them as rich angels that have just gone off to a better world.

You can see some of the depictions of these horrific acts on the third bean field card. That picture was released to the public. There you can see an innocent bean buried to his eyeballs, his death glare looking directly at you. This image stirred a new civil rights movement in that future age and many battles are to be fought soon.

So, the theme behind this game is that we are bean traders, selling sentient beans to die a gruesome death, buried alive, just so they can be eaten by humans. Which role will you play in that future?

I don't know that I would describe this game as "fun." It is a moral lesson in the evils of humanity and it needs to be approached in a serious manner.

Goodness. My mind wandered while reading this and all I could see was a future where the beans are riding horses and carrying guns and Charlton Heston is shouting "Get your leaves off me you damn dirty beans!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who'll definitely settle for Bohnanza, but would rather play any other of the fine games available, I think I can offer unique perspectives...

--it's a relatively short game, so even if you find it's not that good, it's still something you could sit through
--it's not difficult to learn
--wheeling, dealing, and negotiating is integral to the game, but it's still on the simpler side that those averse to it can still get into it

--even if you're not that good at the game, you can still end up doing not too shabby
--the card art is humorous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culix wrote:

I tell them "It's the best German card game about bean farming you'll ever play in your life" (you have to say it with a very serious tone in your voice to sell it)... That normally gets a small laugh and I start explaining how the game plays. I have yet to have anyone in our game group of 25+ people say they did not enjoy it. I even have My First Bohnanza to play with our 5 yr old neighbor and he loves "the bean game" as he calls it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
culix _
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha, fantastic answers Nice. Yes, it's good to pitch as a short game, and I agree that just getting down to play it is the best way to convince people

Murr wrote:
I tell them "It's the best German card game about bean farming you'll ever play in your life"

Murr I love this - I'll use that next time XD

Thanks for the ideas. It's good to see there are lots of other Bohnanza fans out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wish they would offer re-themes of the base game, to make it a little more appealing to non gamers. Let's face it, like the OP said, the concept of bean farming just isn't a theme that resonates with excitement for most folks.

It would be better if it was something like:
* Explorers collecting pieces of valuable artifacts
* Witches gathering ingredients for potions
* Hackers skimming data fragments from a server

They wouldn't even have to change the rules, just the artwork and titles of the cards. I think it would have a lot more mass appeal at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.