Subject: This game or Mom2nd? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one is better?

Theme is important to me so I'm asking if this game can compete with MoM2nd editions theme. A big factor here is that I'm completely bored with zombies in general, are zombies a thing here or does the theme come through interaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are quite different: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is a typical adventure game in the dungeon crawl style. Dead of Winter is rather a glorified social deduction game (semi-coop, traitor mechanic).

Both have plenty of theme, but explore different game-spaces.

Also the fact that zombies bore you is not too problematic for DoW, because usually the zombies are just a background threat, and the player's interactions are the focus of the game.

Still, if you hate zombies, it's probably a safe bet to passe that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played regular Dead of Winter?

How much replayability are you looking for?

Whats your typical number of players?

Do you want straight coop or are you ok with traitorous elements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played DoW, replayability is important. Mostly we have 4-6 players. Battlestar galactica and other socially tense games are mostly the best games for our group, so yeah traitorous elements are one of the main reasons I am even considering DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case I think DoW is probably your best pick. The game is pretty replayable, mainly because of the meta-game, as is often the case with social deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things to consider:

Both of these games are 5 players, max.

From my playthrough of Long Night, it turned out to be easier than the older Dead of Winter (but that may have just been luck).

Mansions of Madness 2.0 scenarios are only slightly variable and do not change a ton. For that reason, Dead of Winter may have more replayability for you. However, more scenarios are starting to be announced for release at a faster rate, so support will be there for a while... so if it doesn't bother you to sink more money into a game, Mansions of Madness will be a more varied experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mythos Phase of MoM is similar to drawing the card at the beginning of each player's turn in DoW. Because the app is managing things, the event feels a bit less random, and there's clearly some non-random triggered events. The net effect is the story feels more coherent and immersive.

Both games elevate tension as they progress, both in terms of immediate threats and usually in terms of either depleted resources or accumulated damage taken. I don't believe MoM has anything equivalent of the 1/12 chance of being instantly dead that DoW does, so that part's nice. OTOH, you only play one character in MoM, so when he goes insane or is killed, it's game over (or game seriously constrained in the case of madness) for you, and (if you're dead) one turn later everyone loses, so it's not like you'll be sitting out long.

I've only played short and medium length scenarios in DoW, and the game takes 2-3 hours for our group (we're nearly always at 5). We have never won if the traitor is playing, although the traitor doesn't always win either. For MoM, I've only played the starting scenario, again with 5 players, and it took a little over 2 hours, but the longer scenarios look like they could be marathons.

I think if you like a game like Battlestar Galactica where the center of mistrust is with your fellow players, then go with DoW. If you want to play against a great Lovecraft haunted estate simulator (like a regular haunted estate simulator, but with 50% more madness!!!), play MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that DoW has more replayability as you are not relying on the story to get you the experience. That being said, both games have strong thematic elements, but MoM is nearly always coop. DoW has more elements of strategy and variability when it comes to player choices.

The linear story experiences of MoM are very strong though. You won't get a better story out of DoW, but they both have emergent story moments that will embed themselves into your playgroup's living memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have both games and IMO:
If money isn't an issue: MoM with all expansions
If long play sessions (3-4+ hours) isn't an issue: MoM
If you want replayability: DoW
If reading out loud constantly isn't a problem: MoM

Overall MoM is a better game to play with 2 or 3, more than that it can take up to 6 hours depending on scenario, and DoW is a better game to play with max number 5 due to the betrayal mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.