Raeez Basheer
India
flag msg tools
I had a look at the faction balancing tool
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122626/terra-mystica-facti...

It is based on the average VPs each faction has scored over the course of thousands of games.

Based on this, I am proposing VP bonuses to weak factions and vp penalties to strong factions based on their "REPUTATION"

FACTION---------------REPUTATION.............VP bonus/penalty

Darkling-----------The Wicked..............-7 vp

Engineers----------The Condescending.......-3 vp

Halflings----------The Cunning.............-2 vp

Witches------------The Devious.............-2 vp

Mermaids-----------The Deceptive...........-2 vp

Nomads-------------The Undistinguished.....-1 vp

Cultists-----------The Unsympathetic.......-1 vp

Chaos magicians----The Mysterious...........0 vp

Dwarves------------The Shy................. 0 vp

Swarmlings---------The Helpful.............+2 vp

Alchemists---------The Insightful..........+4 vp

Giants-------------The Gentle..............+5 vp

Auren--------------The Noble...............+5 vp

Fakirs-------------The Enlightened.........+7 vp

The interested players may design small stickers/chits mentioning the "reputation" and VPs of each races and stick them over a blank region over the specific faction boards. One may use any adjectives they find as thematic.

Or one may print this table and keep it, so as to change VPs at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
... or... y'know... play with the official auction rules in the expansion.

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the issue is that the advantages / disadvantages of any race are heavily affected by the game setup - round scoring, bonus tiles, other races in the game, end game scoring conditions, etc.

i really think the built in auction system in Fire & Ice works better than what you've proposed here. I've heard the criticisms of it from very experienced players but even there an alternative form of bidding has been proposed that you could try.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19748900#19748900
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Raeez!

Applying a VP bonus/penalty is of course a possibilty.

We already had some attempts like this here (without names):
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23256580#23256580

There we've also discussed the use of the use of average VP to determine a faction's strength:
SpaceTrucker wrote:
It is commonly agreed that this is not the best value to measure the strength of a faction. This is because factions also influence the scores of their opponents more or less.
An example: Cultists usually get a lot of points from cults. While their average score is only... average, they are still one of the strongest factions. They simply take away possible points from other factions (who will get less points from cults) and therefore they need to score less points to win than e.g. their brown brothers halflings, who score extra points by digging (which does not hurt anyone).
Halflings are considered one of the weaker factions, still they are among the top of your average point ranking, while usually stronger Cultists are in the middle.
I'd suggest that you look at either average position or average margin (score difference) instead.

So maybe you want to adjust the values in your list to fit average margin instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with SpaceTrucker about using the average margin instead. This could be helpful for in person games where one or two players in a 4p or 5p game are experienced but the others are not. Otherwise when all players are experienced in a game and of similar level I'd recommend either picking factions normally or using an auction.

I'm wondering now if an even better balanced approach with experienced players is to pick factions based on the setup and then auction them with choice of a starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.