Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Long shot -- can't remember the name of this hex game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McGuire
msg tools
When I was a kid -- probably from the early 80s -- our hobby store sold a lot of hex-and-chit games that were packaged in pocket-sized ziploc bags. (I loved that format, they were kid-priced, transportable, and often surprisingly good.) There was one in particular that I loved and somewhere over the years I managed to lose my copy.

The only reason I think somebody might know the name from the following bare-bones description is that the scenario is pretty strange:

At first glance it's a fairly generic space battle game. The chits, instruction booklet, and map board are black and white. There are sinuous lines drawn across the map that indicate hyperspace lanes. Where it gets weird is that your universe is actually the body of your god, and there are various rules relating to that oddity.

I know, not much to go on, but I figure if anyone has ever seen or played this game they'll probably remember it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Holy War? It certainly sounds familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Godsfire perhaps. Similar to Holy War and it came in a zip pack at one time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
May have been WarpWar, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting concept, though I expect a fair few would be turned off by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
It may also be Black Hole by the same company. The company is Metagaming Concepts.

This URL lists the games from their history, with images. Maybe one of these titles and/or images will spark your memory.

http://maverick.brainiac.com/cmm/mic.html

Let me know if it worked. I'd like to know the answer myself now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McGuire
msg tools
RingelTree wrote:
Maybe Holy War? It certainly sounds familiar.

YES! Thank you. Awesome.

Interesting that the chits and some other parts are in color. I wonder if I bought a legit copy back then? Everything was definitely black & white in mine (though glossy paper and good printing, not like it was a photocopy or anything so obvious).

Also interesting that the parts description from this review is exactly the opposite of the copy I owned:

Quote:
As with most of the Metagaming mini-games of the late 70s and early 80s, you won't be overwhelmed with the components. It's a semi-standard hex-and-counter game and the counters are on very thin cardboard that have to be cut from a 3-color sheet (dark brown for Holy Band, white for Sunthrowers, lighter brown for neutrals, suns, and weapon damage), like early versions of OGRE. The 'board' is a sheet of thick construction paper with a minimalist, megahex layout displaying 15 star systems and a chart for converting neutral systems to your side but, unfortunately, without the CRT (Combat Results Table) or Boarding table which are far more important to the game and, thus, would have been better placed on the map.

In my copy the chits were pretty typical pre-cut printed cardboard that you just pushed out by hand, and the map was a thin glossy fold-up paper thing (which was sort of a pain, the folds and the glossy surface made it difficult to keep your chits in place).

Also interesting that I *definitely* played single-player ... but back then making up my own rules is the sort of thing I'd have done.

Anyway, pretty happy to have re-discovered this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.