Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Two days ago my husband received his new Wells Fargo Debit card in the mail, the fancy one with the chip in it for extra security. He activated it that night after he came home from work.

The next day a friend dropped over unexpectedly for a game day so I asked my husband to pick up a pizza on his way home from work. When he arrived home with a pissed-off look and manner (along with a large pizza with hamburger, onion and tomato) I asked him what was wrong and he spit out that his new debit card didn't work! Nothing pisses him off easier and faster than technology since it seems to know he hates it and replies in kind.

Today he went into WF to see WTF is with the new card. Turns out someone had been trying to use his brand new number to charge anywhere from .69 at a salon, to $2600 at Burger King. Some of these transactions had no origin but at least one was from half the continent away. There were about 15 charges that WF targeted as fraud and blocked, canceling his card.

We were both dumbfounded, both by the speed and unexpectedness of the attack on a newly-activated card, and by the awesome job by Wells Fargo's fraud detection section. Good on ya! thumbsupthumbsup

I thought this was noteworthy--not all is lost, friends. Not all is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The flipside of a Wells Fargo card is...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...where you find the CVV (card verification value).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wells Fargo story: Got a mortgage there. The mortgage officer insisted we needed not one, but two bank accounts to get a mortgage. "It's just policy," he said, "but don't worry, there's no charges for having the accounts, and you don't need to use them, you just need to sign up for these two accounts to have the mortgage."

Then a couple years later when I heard about the pressure WF employees were under to sign people up for accounts, it all made sense. And at least he told us we were getting the accounts that we didn't want instead of just making it on his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Wells Fargo--The flipside-burgers
$2600! WERE there a "Burger King" within any 'stripjoint' THAT 'moi' surely "R"-"unawares" upon this "B"-hoove-'Hooters'? sobluesoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was going to throw a block party or something! There were actually TWO tries to pig out at the BK, the other was for $2400. You tell me how much cow and potatoes does one need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sauron
blush Ronald McDonald upon HIS "down-lowblown" and being "Dairy Queen" for "Burger King"! 'Champagne ROOM-services' /modest\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
Someone was going to throw a block party or something! There were actually TWO tries to pig out at the BK, the other was for $2400. You tell me how much cow and potatoes does one need?

Clearly 700 acres worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
sauron
blush Ronald McDonald upon HIS "down-lowblown" and being "Dairy Queen" for "Burger King"! 'Champagne ROOM-services' /modest\

Don't forget to wrap your Whopper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a number of identity theft incidents in the last ten years ago. It's a huge pain, but I've caught them early each time and prevented real damage. The weirdest one was pretty recent. One Saturday morning, there were 52 $5 charges on my checking account from CraigsList - 52!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I've had a number of identity theft incidents in the last ten years ago. It's a huge pain, but I've caught them early each time and prevented real damage. The weirdest one was pretty recent. One Saturday morning, there were 52 $5 charges on my checking account from CraigsList - 52!

That IS weird. There are 52 weeks in the year...nope, no idea. Is there a Jelly of the Week club? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were a cynical man...

...There's a marketing idea in this. Pre-compromised debit cards!
The PIN is preset to 1234. (The same as the combination to your luggage.)
As soon as you try to use it, it triggers a fraud alert claiming some else beat you to it but thank god Wells Fargo was able to detect this crime and disable the card before any fraudulent (or legitimate) transactions were charged against either one of your two Wells Fargo checking accounts resulting in positive PR for Wells Fargo.

Kinda fits into a family of products I've dreamt up over the years like flavor free gum for the flavor indecisive, anti-data software for the closed minded and anti-stop brakes for people who ride the brake pedal (one has to remove ones foot from the brake pedal in order to stop.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My bank sends a text alert to my phone for certain transactions. I have low limit credit card that I use for Netflix, Xbox Live and other internet transactions. About a year ago it was going crazy. Woke me up at 4 AM as someone somewhere had hacked my Microsoft Xbox Live account and downloaded $464 worth of video games in 20 minutes or so. It finally stopped when they hit the $500 credit limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The secret is to carefully cultivate an identity which is not worth stealing. The no-fly list is for chumps; I'm no longer allowed on trains, buses, horses, or dolphins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
The secret is to carefully cultivate an identity which is not worth stealing. The no-fly list is for chumps; I'm no longer allowed on trains, buses, horses, or dolphins.

Yes, well, that goes without saying, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
When American Express suspects a transaction is fraudulent, I get a text, phonecall and e-mail within minutes of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Maybe they were buying a deck of cards in a really inefficient and expensive way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Wells Fargo not tell you that with the card came the 5 dummy accounts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
We were both dumbfounded, both by the speed and unexpectedness of the attack on a newly-activated card, and by the awesome job by Wells Fargo's fraud detection section. Good on ya! thumbsupthumbsup

Nice to hear some good news about WF. I've banked with them for a long time, and they generally handle things very quickly.

Surprising because of the create-more-accounts scandal, my one complaint is that they won't give me a second credit card with a bitty limit for use online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sodaklady wrote:
That IS weird. There are 52 weeks in the year...nope, no idea. Is there a Jelly of the Week club? laugh
It was for a DECK of "Magical: the Playing Cards"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Are you still allowed on the couch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the old video rental stores? You had to sign-up with a credit card on file in case you didn't return a video. We closed our account at a Mom & Pop video store and when I took the dog to the vet a few days later our credit card was denied. I called the bank and they claimed they saw suspicious activity on the account and closed it for our protection.

The charges were to an online retailer for XXX videos and a few local restaurants. We put 2 & 2 together and realized it had to be the video store owner who up and stole our account number.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad they managed to stop the Fraud before it got going!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.