Subject: Playing Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long are your games lasting? I know it's new and there'll be a learning curve, but I'm finding games are lasting much longer than the 2 hours estimate. Is that the experience others are having?

A Few Acres of Snow is listed at 60-120 minutes and this is much more involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

I discovered it is very much who you are playing against. Had a game on Sunday with an experienced AFAoS player and it took about an hour and a half. Took much longer when I played a fellow newb and we are both a bit ap prone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game took 3 hours but then again we hardly looked at the rulebook before playing as we were experienced aFAoS players. Second game took hour and half but it only went to about half the rounds.

I think with experience 2 hours will be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my games have been 3-4 hours, but I think we are uncommonly slow players - in my game group, it's "take all the time you need"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have run 3+ hours and at that length it has definitely outstayed it's welcome with my gaming buddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game can last up to 12 turns. If you target 2 hours for a game, that is 10 minutes a turn. Inside a given turn, the players take turns playing cards until Carthage exhausts his draw deck. I would guess you'd average something like 4-7 rounds of card play for each player per turn. Going conservative (each player plays cards over 4 rounds), that is 1.25 minutes a round/per player on average. And that doesn't factor in the turn end process of drawing an event, adding up VPs, collecting cash, etc. (up to 11 occurrences of that process).

I consider that a quite brisk pace, unless both players have deep experience with the game and will know the probable best plays (or even the good plays) in each situation. For those who have played it only a few times, I think you have to expect that they are still learning games and that will lead to slower plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game four times now. For your first couple of games I would allocate 2.5+ hours. After that look for 2 to 2.5 hour range. HITS has similar mechanics to AFAOS but there have been many additions to the game that add depth and time to the play. In AFAOS there can be games with a lot of settling and few battles occurring. In HITS, you are on top of each other right from the start, therefore there is less settling and more battles and raiding that will occur.

Overall, HITS has a steeper learning curve and will take longer than AFAOS. I have played AFAOS in an hour with experienced players and don't ever see this happening with HITS. To me the added time is fine as I think HITS is a more dynamic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.