James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb

Garrison: Archangel

Overview:
You are the pilot of an Archangel Battlesuit, the Empire's interstellar response to maintaining order within it's borders.

A squad of mechanized battle armor was dispatched to spearhead an invasion against a city located in one of the Empire's planets. Your mission is to intercept and destroy the squad in space and safeguard that planet from other threats.

Designer:
James Ronald Lo (countdown321)

Players:
1 player (Solo Baby!)

Play Time:
10 to 20 minutes

Components:
Card size: 2.5" x 3.5"
9 x Rules cards (back-to-back with enemy cards)
9 x Enemy cards (back-to-back with rule cards)
18 x Armament cards (9 armament cards back-to-back)
------------------------------------------------------------
18 cards total

Rules and Component Files

COLORED (Updated 11/28/16)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sKtJEx0OkJcGhpYVgyOVFXMDQ...

PRINTER-FRIENDLY (Updated 11/28/16)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sKtJEx0OkJVVVzdzM0NmYyRTg...

Image:

NOTES:
This is number 2 of a series of games I'm working on, because designing games is SOOOOOPER FUN! You can find number 1 here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645336/wip-garrison-so...

POST CONTEST DEVELOPMENT
Updated 04/02/17

Tweaks on Rules, Enemy Mecha, and Armaments. Plus draft rules for the PVP variant. Do playtest when able. Comments are most welcome. Thanks in advance!

SOLO Rules and Components for Armaments
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sKtJEx0OkJQjhvaFFMejBpck...

PVP Rules Draft Updated 06/01/17
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sKtJEx0OkJQnZlOWFWVEF4Rz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison : Archangel - A mecha-themed solo card game (18 Card Microgame Contest)
Hello!

POST CONTEST DEVELOPMENT UPDATE AVAILABLE
The revised rules and components are available at the bottom part of the first post of this thread.

Thank You!

------------------------

Last Updated 11/28/16

You are the pilot of an ARCHANGEL, a rare war suit designed for interstellar combat. Your mission is to intercept and destroy a squad of mecha traveling towards an imperial city on a planet you are tasked to defend. Destroy the mecha squad to save the city.

SETUP

Prepare the Enemy Deck
Shuffle all 9 enemy cards to form the enemy deck. Place it in front of you face down in landscape orientation.

Customize Your Archangel Battle Suit
Choose 5 from the 18 armaments available, set the rest aside. For first time players, it is recommended that you include a heat sink in your selection. Lay the cards out in front of you face up, in portrait orientation, then mentally assign each card letters from A through E.

Prepare Your Armor Deck (AR Deck)
Take any 3 of the remaining armament cards to form the AR deck. Place it face down in front of you, in portrait orientation.

Objective
Destroy all enemy mecha cards then complete the final round while keeping your AR deck count above 0 cards.

USING ARMAMENTS
Armament cards have abilities, effects, and a cost. To use an ability and resolve it's effect, the cost has to be paid. Costs are paid by turning an armament card 90 degrees clockwise a number of times based on the ability cost.

Reflex Abilities
Some armaments have reflex abilities that can be used at any time and as many times as needed, unless it is broken.

Range
To successfully affect a target (usually through damage), it must be within range of an armament. If an armament has range 1-2, it can affect targets positioned in zones 1 and 2. If it has range 3, it can only affect targets situated in zone 3.

Dealing Damage
Some armaments deal damage to enemy cards when used. When attacking, the total damage dealt to an enemy card must equal or exceed its armor rating to destroy it. All enemy card armor ratings are repaired fully in the next round. You must decide to either damage the enemy card completely or allow it to attack you in the next round. Place destroyed enemy cards in the discard pile.

Taking Damage
Whenever your Archangel is dealt damage that you are unable to prevent, set aside 1 card from your AR deck. If your AR deck is reduced to 0 cards, your Archangel is destroyed and you lose the game.

MANAGING HEAT
All armament cards start at Heat Rating 0 (HR:0). Whenever an armament card is used, it generates heat, if used too often it will overheat and break becoming useless for the rest of the game.

Example - Plasma Sword Slash ability:
Turning the armament twice from a starting heat rating of 0 raises the rating to 2; turning it twice again after that will raise the heat rating to 4 which still activates the ability but breaks it in the process.

Some phases and abilities have effects that cool down armaments. This is done by turning the card 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Armament cards that are already at the default state (heat rating 0) can not be cooled down any further.

Additionally, cards in the AR deck can also be sacrificed and set aside at any time to cool down any 1 armament once.

MOVEMENT AND ZONES
Zones 1, 2, and 3 represent areas in various distances in front of your Archangel, 3 being the farthest. When deployed, an enemy card is placed on the zone according to what's printed on it.

Your Archangel can move forward or backward using special armament abilities, positioning enemy cards in situations advantageous to you. If you move forward once, all enemy cards move closer to your Archangel by 1 zone. Mechanically, all enemy cards in zone 3 are moved to zone 2, those in zone 2 move to zone 1, and those already in zone 1 stay in zone 1. Do the reverse when moving the opposite direction.

At the start of the Enemy Deployment Phase, whenever enemy cards in play are out of range, they should be moved to the correct zones, resolving their deployment actions in the process. Afterwards, proceed with the deployment phase as normal.

THE ROUND (EASY MODE)
At the start of the game, reveal the top card of the enemy deck and resolve its deployment actions.

1. Player Cool Down Phase
TURN (90 degrees clockwise) all your armament cards once. Those that are in HR:0 do not cool down.

2. Player Attack Phase
Use armament abilities as many times as needed, unless they are broken. You may move 1 zone forward or backward for free.

3. Enemy Attack Phase
Enemy cards that are IN RANGE deal damage to your Archangel based on their attack ratings unless they are prevented.

4. Enemy Move Phase
Enemy cards that are OUT OF RANGE resolve their deployment actions.

5. Enemy Deployment Phase
Deploy the top card of the enemy deck.

Repeat steps 1-5 until all enemy units or the Archagel is destroyed. See Final Round.

THE FINAL ROUND (NORMAL MODE)
Once you've deployed an enemy card with no cards remaining in the enemy deck, you must destroy it on your turn in order to proceed to the final round.

Final Round Deployment Phase
Shuffle all destroyed enemy cards then deploy 3 randomly, ignoring any actions as instructed based on what’s written on the card. Set the rest aside.

Player Cool Down and Attack Phases
Play as per usual. All 3 enemy cards must be destroyed on your turn to complete the final round.

THE COMPLETE GAME (HARD MODE)
To win the complete game, defeat all cards in the enemy deck and finish the final round without breaking any armaments or losing any AR cards.

Still too easy? Try other armaments and find new combinations to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison : Archangel - A mecha-themed solo card game (18 Card Microgame Contest) - IDEA PHASE
Presenting my makeshift prototype and really bad handwriting. Yes, I like making use of MTG cards and post-its during the early stages of design, I have a bunch of those lying around

I had a blast testing out the game last Saturday - also received plenty of great feedback on how to improve the game as well as suggestions on new card mechanics to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison : Archangel - A mecha-themed solo card game (18 Card Microgame Contest) - IDEA PHASE
Started playtesting with printed paper this week, and already I've had to edit card info for balance

I also uploaded the components in case any of you want to try it out. Feedback would be appreciated - I'm not quite sure if the rules are clear enough within the 2 cards I allotted for it.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't printed yet, but let me see if I understand: the bent arrow means rotate the card when used and the number inside the bend means the number of rotations permitted? If so, I think that needs to be spelled out. If not, then I didn't understand.

Also, if I did understand correctly, then numbers on the cards edges would help in keeping track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm...

Using an armament requires you to turn it 90 degrees according to the direction of the arrow. The number means how many times you need to turn it to activate an ability. Cooldown is the reverse.

In order for you to use an armament ability, you'll have to pay the cost, some cost 1 to turn, some 2, and some 3. Turning it a number of times so the armament goes round a full 360 means it overheats and breaks.

An armament that has a cost of 1 to use means you can use it 4 times (4 90-degree turns) before it breaks.

An armament that has a cost of 2 + 1 use of the Heat Sink allows you to use it twice so the armament doesn't break.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful!

Methinks I'll have to go back to the drawing board to further clarify the rules. I need more card space to explain the "tapping" action, which means I may have to replace one of the armament cards so I'll have more space for rules.

I think I should write a full version of the rules first before worrying about the available space. I'll just snip down as I edit I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm again...

I think you got it right... but more like "number of rations REQUIRED".

And your suggestion to add numbers on the edges to help track the heat rating state is a fantastic idea! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison : Archangel - A mecha-themed solo card game (18 Card Microgame Contest) - COMPONENTS READY
Components with rules are up. Looking forward to feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison : Archangel - A mecha-themed solo card game (18 Card Microgame Contest) - COMPONENTS READY
Will do James!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
kzinti wrote:
Will do James!

Cool, thanks!

I'll post the objectives for the other game modes soon i.e. boss level, difficult modes - the game experience will be better with those included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Just printed out, sleeved, and played a partial game to make sure I am playing it correctly. I think I am - no rules questions.

I didn't cut the rules into 3 cards, left them as one mega-card. So, I couldn't use them for the AR (damage) deck, so I just used 3 cubes:

I'm about to get beat up a bit here^

I think I've got the mechanics down OK. But I don't really have the "feel" of the game yet. But, I will definitely play it more to get that part figured out.

Cool little game.

What I like:
- Arranging your 5 cards adds to replayability - it's just random (I assume enemy mechs attack the 5 positions equally).
- Rotating cards for heat when used, and rotating counter-clockwise for cooldown. Clever.
- Different orientation for the player card and the enemy cards - simple, but useful.

What I think could be improved:
- Somehow add more icons and/or graphics and remove some of the text on the cards - the cards can be a little wordy.

No other specific questions or feedback. It would be nice to have more choices for customizing the Archangel, instead of pick 5 out of 6 available cards. I suppose you could use the card backs for more options if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
OK, now I have a question.

I chose everything but the jet pack. First enemy mech was the Cyclops with a range of 3. I'm never going to be able to get that bugger, am I, since only the Plasma rifle has a range of 3, but a Damage of only 1?

I can only move if I have the Jet pack, correct?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Played a few more games. Nice game, nice feel to it, but I'm not sure if it is winnable. Maybe I just need to get better, but it seems like it will be very difficult to defeat the 7 enemies that have 4 or 5 armor.

I'll keep trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Scott,

Thanks for trying it out. For the specific game state on the picture you showed, I'd suggest you do:

1) Use the Plasma Sword (Sword Slash) twice to deal 4 damage to the Minotaur.

2) Jet Pack backwards to bring the Cyclops to Zone 2 (I assume it's in Zone 1) so it is now within range of your Plasma Rifle (Rifle Shot). Turn it 90 degrees once to deal 1 damage.

3) Then Jet Pack backwards again to the Cyclops from Zone 2 to Zone 3, so it is now in range of your Plasma Rifle (Focused Rifle Shot) to deal 3 damage.

Then you're all set for the next round. I have a feeling that the rules I've written might still be vague and unclear. I'll have to review it further.

You're right that icons can greatly improve readability - I've had to do it that way since I don't have a lot of space for instructions. As you know, for this contest, the rules have to be included in the cards.

Yes, the enemy mechs do attack the 5 positions equally.

I actually have over 30 armament cards at the ready, I've been watching a lot of Gundam mecha animated series lately, so I've taken the liberty of converting every "armament" I see onscreen into Garrison:Archangel card format LOL. Having all those options do add a lot of variations, unfortunately, I can't include them in the contest due to the 18-card limit. I've also been working on the PVP variant rules for the game, so far, play tests have garnered positive results.

Anyway, depending on how this goes, I'll likely release the other armaments and variants after the contest - in some way, shape, or form.

Thank you once again for trying it out. It's very encouraging.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
OK, now I have a question.

I chose everything but the jet pack. First enemy mech was the Cyclops with a range of 3. I'm never going to be able to get that bugger, am I, since only the Plasma rifle has a range of 3, but a Damage of only 1?

I can only move if I have the Jet pack, correct?

Thanks.

You're right. I think had it in the rules before that having the jetpack is mandatory but had to delete it so the rules fit the card space I allotted for rules, my bad LOL. I have revised rules that give you 1 free move (forward or backward) during your turn. I'll upload updated components and rules in a few days.

Also, the Plasma Rifle has 2 abilities, the Focused Rifle Shot deals 3 damage instead of 1 but is limited to range 3. This means if the Plasma Rifle is at Heat Rating 0, The Cyclops can be shot for 3 damage using "Focused Shot" and 1 damage with a "Rifle Shot" for a total of 4 damage from 3 zones away.

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah dude, do try it out a few more times if you have time.

I think the issue is that my "rules-writing" skills need to improve. It might be that I'm not writing what you can and can't do in the game clear enough. So I'll review and edit in the next few days. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Being a fan of the Gundam Tallgeese, my goto setup is:

A, Plasma Shield
B, Plasma Rifle
C, Plasma Sword
D, Heat Sink
E, Jet Pack

or sometimes:

A, Plasma Rifle
B, Short Range Missiles
C, Plasma Sword
D, Heat Sink
E, Jet Pack

Both have beaten NORMAL mode (including boss mode). My updated components should also make HARD mode easier to complete.

Once again, thank you very much for trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Aaahh.

I had assumed each card could only be used once per turn. That will make a big difference.

You could use the card backs for 6 more armaments if you'd like. It could create interesting choices, such as: do I want that heat sink, or one more plasma rifle,etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hey, using armaments more than once per turn makes the game a lot more fun!

Thanks for the clarification.

Cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Aaahh.

I had assumed each card could only be used once per turn. That will make a big difference.

You could use the card backs for 6 more armaments if you'd like. It could create interesting choices, such as: do I want that heat sink, or one more plasma rifle,etc.

Right, I'll edit the rules so it says something like "you may use an armament ability more than once per turn" instead of the current "use armament abilities as needed". Good thing you brought it up

Regarding using card backs, I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually do use "twin" armaments sometimes to test out possible combinations, and also because you've got to have a pair of SRMs or even dual swords, and event a set of jetpacks, right? LOL

This game will definitely have more customization options post contest. I am having fun converting mecha components I see on TV into card game format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Hey, using armaments more than once per turn makes the game a lot more fun!

Thanks for the clarification.

Cool game.

AWESOME! I'm glad you think so.
Thanks again for trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have only read the rules, but I wonder: Why putting phase 1 and 2 at the top of the list, then ignore them the first round?

You may have the same effects having them at the bottom of the list (4-5)---perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
mfenici wrote:
I have only read the rules, but I wonder: Why putting phase 1 and 2 at the top of the list, then ignore them the first round?

You may have the same effects having them at the bottom of the list (4-5)---perhaps.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your suggestion, I thought about that while designing the game in the early stages actually. I felt that doing so (round 1: enemy deployment, rounds 2-3: player cool down and attack phase, rounds 4-5: enemy attack and move phases ) would split up the enemy phase and disrupt the game flow, in my view.

Alternatively, pushing the player rounds to 1 and 2 and bringing enemy deployment to round 5 would give the player an advantage, giving him the initiative which, for me, would be unfair and narrative-wise doesn't fit i.e. I imagine if you're being attacked in space (intercepted in this case), you'd be able to detect your attacker early enough to prepare for battle, giving you the advantage.

In the end, I went with "ignore during round 1". I did something similar to another contest entry of mine actually. Do check it out as well if you have time.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645336/wip-garrison-so...

Feel free to experiment though. Ultimately, if you enjoy playing the game more by adjusting the round sequence according to your suggestion, do so. Let me know how it goes. I'll test it out myself a bit more as well.

Thanks for going over the rules. I suggest you play test it when you have the time.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
countdown321 wrote:
I felt that doing so (round 1: enemy deployment, rounds 2-3: player cool down and attack phase, rounds 4-5: enemy attack and move phases ) would split up the enemy phase and disrupt the game flow, in my view.

Well, the game flow after the first round turns out to be exactly the same with both solutions.

I would prefer my suggested solution anly to avoid omitting the first 2 phases at the start of the game.

Another alternative solution that might keep the game-flow while combining both suggestions:

Game Setup: At the start of the game, reveal the top card of the enemy deck and resolve its deployment actions one after the other.

Turn oder:

1) Player Cool Down Phase
2) Player Attack Phase
3) Enemy Attack Phase
4) Enemy Movement Phase
5) Enemy Deployment Phase

In any case, I guess it's just a matter of elegance in writing the rules---I do not like exceptions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
mfenici wrote:
Game Setup: At the start of the game, reveal the top card of the enemy deck and resolve its deployment actions one after the other.

Turn order:

2) Player Attack Phase
3) Enemy Attack Phase
4) Enemy Movement Phase

That sir, is an "elegant" suggestion I'll mull it over further, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
mfenici wrote:
countdown321 wrote:
I felt that doing so (round 1: enemy deployment, rounds 2-3: player cool down and attack phase, rounds 4-5: enemy attack and move phases ) would split up the enemy phase and disrupt the game flow, in my view.

Well, the game flow after the first round turns out to be exactly the same with both solutions.

I would prefer my suggested solution anly to avoid omitting the first 2 phases at the start of the game.

Another alternative solution that might keep the game-flow while combining both suggestions:

Turn oder:

2) Player Attack Phase
3) Enemy Attack Phase
4) Enemy Movement Phase

In any case, I guess it's just a matter of elegance in writing the rules---I do not like exceptions!

Hi Marco,

I've edited the rules sheet to reflect your suggestion. thank you!

Hey Scott,

I also used the card backs as you suggested. I'm not sure if I did it the way you were thinking though LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.