Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know the answer to this question, but I wanted to get a consensus before it comes up again in play:

If the Star Knight's team wins initiative at the beginning of the round, can he use his STELLAR LEADERSHIP to save a teammate from Diablo Azul's THE DEVIL'S OWN at the end of the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. I don't have Diablo Azul in front of me, but depending on how the power is written, I'd say Star Knight might even be able to save someone even if Diablo Azul's team has initiative. It depends on whether it is written as an end-of-round power (which is activated by players alternating turns) or an always-active power (which would claim everyone once the round was completely over - after Star Knight had the chance to use his power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She-Wolf wrote:
I think I know the answer to this question, but I wanted to get a consensus before it comes up again in play:

If the Star Knight's team wins initiative at the beginning of the round, can he use his STELLAR LEADERSHIP to save a teammate from Diablo Azul's THE DEVIL'S OWN at the end of the round?

I thought I had remembered reading something about this kind of situation, but had to go look it up. At the top of page 15 of the rulebook the first paragraph deals with the order in which end of round powers are carried out. If both players have end of round powers, then they take turns activating them with the player who got the initiative going first with one of his characters who has an end of round power. In the situation you descibed, Star Knight's team has the initiative, so Star Knight can be selected to use his Stellar Leadership to save a team mate by moving him from a blue space before Diablo Azule can claim him using The Devil's Own power.

Just remember, Diablo Azule may get really, really angry if this is done very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I think this ploy came up somewhere earlier, though I can't recall where. At any rate, I agree with Jon. The rule on p. 15 seems pretty definitive.

I Love the tactic, by the way, but haven't had an opportunity to put it into action yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. It's good to know I had it right all along. Sometimes I just come down with a bad case of overthink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with this interpretation. I think the wording on Diablo Azul's power could be a little bit more clear, though:

"At the end of the round, Diablo Azul may claim all foes on blue spaces. All claimed foes are permanently part of Diablo Azul's team."

I think it makes it more clear that it is an end-of-round power that must be activated, rather than an "always-on" power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the end-of-round powers rule that Jon directed me to, I don't think the wording on the card could be any clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.