Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: NOW WITH POLL: How many of you still play video games? How much? By necessity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bg = board games
vg = video games

From all the board gamers I've talked with (not scientific, but just from gaming groups, conventions, and otherwise), I believe I've gotten an equal mix between the 2...
They discovered modern bg at some point, and either gave up vg for various reasons (e.g. not enough time to do both, or they just liked bg better). Or, they went back or continue with vg because they still enjoy it, or they can't play bg as much*.

* This would be my situation. I'd like to do more bg-ing, but can't with so few groups to play with, so may as well work my way through my vg backlog

Poll
Poll originally appeared here....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653327/how-many-you-st...
1. How many of you still play video games?
Yes
No
2. How much video gaming?
40+ hours a week
30 to 40
20 to 30
10 to 20
5 to 10
2 to 5
0 to 2
None
3. Why?
Not enough board gaming opportunities
More convenient for me
I also like vg
I prefer vg
4. How come?
Not enough board gaming opportunities
More convenient for me
I also like vg
I prefer vg
      49 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many of you still play video games? How much? By necessity?
I dont own any consoles anymore, but I would like to get some as I dislike solo bgs (tried Friday and some solo variants and co ops and such) but do enjoy 1p vgs. With people over, I would always wanna bg though.

And the solo vging I do isnt much, I sometimes just read books or browse bgg instead. I do bg apps too a bit but I find video games like Dragon Quest more fun, epic and fulfilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
I used to play tons and tons of video games and now almost exclusively play board games. I'll now put in maybe 0-10 hours a week on video games (used to be like, 40).

Getting into solitaire board gaming has helped me play less video games too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've not played video games for almost a decade now. I've no reason to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play some video games, but much less than I used to. But it wasn't boardgames that did it - I just found myself less interested in where video game advancements were taking the medium, so boardgames picked up the slack. Specifically, the trend for online multiplayer everything, the either tacked on or omitted solo campaign, or the rise of action games over strategy games.

Every once in a while a great strategy or tactical game will come out and grab my attention, but they seem to come around less and less often than they used to for my personal tastes.

If I do boot something up, it tends to be an older game. Still playing Sins of a Solar Empire, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
I dont own any consoles anymore, but I would like to get some as I dislike solo bgs (tried Friday and some solo variants and co ops and such) but do enjoy 1p vgs. With people over, I would always wanna bg though.

And the solo vging I do isnt much, I sometimes just read books or browse bgg instead. I do bg apps too a bit but I find video games like Dragon Quest more fun, epic and fulfilling.

MP = mutltiplayer

I miss MP vg Others point out that you can play vg solo, but to me, getting together for a gathering, and doing LAN MP in the same room, or playing MP off the same console is in another category of its own, like comparing MP bg to solo bg. In fact, I've found MP vg to be MORE SOCIAL than MP bg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of games on my ipad. Some of these are board games.

This isn't a substitute for face to face gaming. It is something I do as part of my alone time activities: Watch videos, electronic games, solo games, read books, do something creative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Dwarf Fortress sometimes, but otherwise no video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
I think the last video game I played more than a passing glance was Masters of Orion II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play video games daily. I play board games once every few days. There's just video game "states" that a board game can't match (the exploration aspect of Dark Souls for example). I've been playing Dishonored I, Dark Souls 3 (beaten), and Paragon [all PS4]. Excited for BF1, Titanfall 2, and the Skyrim re-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally, I have to choose one or the other, but I still do both. If someone is around to play a boardgame, it is almost always going to be my first choice.

However, I would choose to do literally anything with another person than play even my favorite video games, to include running errands or sitting in the backyard do pretty much nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been crazy into video games my whole life...then I discovered board games! I keep buying games: Fallout, Doom, Halo, etc. thinking I'm going to catch the bug again, but it's not the case. I will probably buy Gears, but like the rest of my games, it will probably end up at about 15-25% completed and that's it. The only games I end up finishing are the TellTale games. Board games have won, but I like it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

MP = mutltiplayer

I miss MP vg Others point out that you can play vg solo, but to me, getting together for a gathering, and doing LAN MP in the same room, or playing MP off the same console is in another category of its own, like comparing MP bg to solo bg. In fact, I've found MP vg to be MORE SOCIAL than MP bg.

Amen, brother! Did MP vg for years until most of the guys started having kids or moved on. I then did MP vg online with random strangers. Then, everyone bought the latest consoles, and I did not.

That's when I got into board gaming, but it takes a lot of effort to get a few guys together. Game nights are usually set aside for only 1 or 2 nights per week. You also can't just play a board game for a half an hour before dinner or at 11pm after the wife goes to bed like you can a video game. Thus, I basically crawled back to vg for "filler" playing 30 minutes here or there a few times per week.

Most board games take at least 1-2 hours of dedicated play time and 1 or 2 friends to join you. Thus, I only play board games once per week for roughly 6 hours. If you're going to go through the trouble of setting up a date and time to get together, you may as well make the most of it.

Video games allow you to jump on and off whenever you like, even in the middle of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Start playing vg on ZX Spectrum. Don't like modern games (Fallout is an exception). One game series I keep on playing over and over again is Might and Magic (6 and 7 are the best).
Funny is that only now I realize what 2D12 is. Always was not sure what those stats are ("D" might me defense???). Only after I find out about board games, it became obvious.

BGs - play ~ 5,6 times a month. Most often solo. Which I regret a lot. A board game Event with friends - amazing but rare occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How many of you still play video games?

I do

Quote:
How much?

Hmmm maybe about once a month or once every other month and during that time it could range from a few hours in one day to several hours over several days.

I don't video game as often as I used to but it doesn't have anything to do with board gaming. I found that my video gaming greatly declined after settling into a full-time desk job where I was stationary and stared at a computer all day. By the time I get home the last thing i wanna do is be confined to a computer. I just don't like sitting stationary that long and I get uncomfortable when I do. Boardgaming allows me a lot more movement. I'm getting up to look at/reach for stuff at the table. Prepping snacks. Moving around to look at and talk to people. My posture is much more relaxed.

Quote:
By necessity?

When I video game it is because I want to. I still enjoy video gaming and it still has it's place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of Destiny and Hearthstone.

and Pokemon Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note - I am excluding games like Candy Crush or Bejeweled in my discussion of "video games" - although I do play those.)

I play both. Sometimes I'll play a video game for 20 minutes because it's late and I'm tired and I don't want to set up a board game; sometimes I'll play for three hours because I'm engrossed in the story and the gameplay (I've been playing Fallout 4 since I got my Xbox One last November.)
I will play either solo or MP, although since many modern console games are competitive FPS which I don't like and am not good at, that limits the choices. I'll play Rock Band, Borderlands, You Don't Know Jack with my son and we'll have a great time, or I'll play RPGs solo.

Necessity? No - pleasure. I like games - board, card, video. I don't have cable or satellite, so this is what I use my TV for.
Apart from the random short after-dinner game, I only get to play board games with other people maybe every two weeks at most, though I do play solo as well.

Every now and then I'll take a brief hiatus from one of the other due to scheduling or overexposure, but not for long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in my 40's and was raised on both video games and board games. So I still love to play both, but usually it's one game that soaks up time through the winter and I don't go beyond. I own a PS4 and a gaming laptop. I still very much enjoy playing video games and keep up with the new hotness.

Favorites right now are the Secret World MMO (which is FANTASTIC), Hearthstone (MTG replacement), and my wife is starting to play Witcher 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played video games since I was 3 years old. I've played board games since I was 24 - so one's a bit closer to my heart!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have not played video games since I became interested in board games about two years ago.

I still have plenty of games, most unplayed (and people tend to give me games they don't play anymore), but they just can't compete with board games at the moment.

A big difference for me between video and board games is that my wife and me never found a way to play video games together, which was a bummer. Board games as a common activity has been a lot more successful.

Also because of board games I have been developing gaming groups which meet weekly, whereas for me video gaming was a solo activity (in the sense that you are alone in a room).

Heck, tomorrow I'll go to Essen, and I never went anywhere outside my house because of video games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably equal. I don't care what form its in a game is a game. I care about how much fun I get from it and my usual equation for games would be something like:
fun=challenge+social+interest+reward
I tend to match my choice between vg and bg with what the requirements are IE time, money, friends to game with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, still a big video gamer, though, much like my board gaming, it comes and goes. Sometimes I'll spend a whole weekend pouring dozens of hours into a title, sometimes I'll go a week or two without touching anything.

That said, frankly, the two hobbies are fairly independent to me. While both are ostensibly about "playing games," the simple fact is that video games and board games often present entire different challenges and satisfy different urges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf baleck
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
with 150 boardgames in shelves (without expansions) and more than 1500+ video games in my steam library, choosing what to play can be a game by itself shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Stopped playing video games a long time before I started with board games. I've started dipping my toe back into video games, but nothing has stuck yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.