Hide
8 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best duo for two-hero play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annie Tipton
msg tools
I've played the games with 2 heroes, 3 heroes, and 4 heroes. We win most often with playing with a pair -- I think this is because when we've lost with all 4 heroes, healing is a problem. We just seem to be bleeding hearts left and right, getting stunned round after round. (Game 4 and beyond.)

Anybody have any advice on which 2 heroes make the best pair? We've been playing Harry and Hermione most often, but I've also played with other combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
If healing is a problem then I would go with Ron and Neville. I like that combo in general because their abilities are the easiest to trigger (imo). Hermione is nice, but can be hard to pull off unless you are ignoring allies and items. Harry can be good, but the attack doesn't really swing the game balance as much as a bunch of healing can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
+1 for Ron and Neville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would depend on the year you are in. Things change for the heroes in year six and again in year seven.

In general, I would say Harry is actually the least effective hero. The Hogwarts deck has enough attacks in it that his ability doesn't really add enough to the game to swing victories. His real advantage is that his cloak results in fewer control tokens, but one you have a thick deck the cloak doesn't come up as often as you want it to. Hermione is probably the most effective hero as she makes it easier to get those six+ cost cards. Between Ron and Neville, I would probably give the edge to Neville simply because he can trigger his healing ability more often than Ron, but Ron's abilities give him a bit more versatilty, so I wouldn't argue if someone disagreed with this.

Starting in year six...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Still Hermione, paired with flying lessons. Once you get her deck to the point where she doesn't need to buy cards, her income generation will let you buy off control tokens better than any other hero. Also, she is built for spells and if she gets her hands on that Elder Wand and a little bit of card draw, the game is just over. After that, Neville + Herbology or Charms. Card draw is king.

In year seven...

Still Hermione/Flying but then with Ron/Charms or Divination. Since Ron's ability now heals everybody instead of just one person, he can keep up with Neville on the healing and do damage at the same time. Since Ron needs to cycle his attack cards as often as possible, Divination with things like Quiddich gear and broomsticks allows him to set his deck up and become and attacking/healing powerhouse. Neville with Herbology or Charms is still a strong option though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annie Tipton
msg tools
davypi wrote:
In general, I would say Harry is actually the least effective hero.

I think this is probably another nod to the story... Harry's victories over evil in the stories are due more to luck/the protection of Lily's love than his actual abilities. If this is the case, again, I say "Well done, designers!"

We're going to give Harry a rest next round and play Hermione and Neville in Game 5 and see how they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur: Ron and Neville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's the BEST duo, but my wife just finished Game 7 with Harry and Hermione, with an overall record of 7-2.

Hermione's strategy:
Buy primarily spells to make her character ability trigger more often. My wife chose defense against the dark arts. (I think? It was the one where you get a benefit when you have to discard cards from events and villains.) Not exactly a synergy thing, but that ability triggered a LOT.

Harry's strategy:
Since Hermione was picking up spells, Harry was left with picking up allies and items, which combos well with Potions. Also, we picked up as many cards as possible that remove location tokens to trigger Harry's character ability. The combination of his ability plus Potions really increased attack token output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done alright with Neville and Hermione. We lost 3-5 on our firt attempts, but they were all close. Six was a pretty easy victory. We haven't tried 7 yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.