Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Best way to use all cards after year 7? Thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Noyb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
The game states how to combine all cards after year 7, with the exception of the locations and heroes. I'd hate to use the same locations each game as it would get stale.

Character cards: Everyone starts with the basic character. After turn 2, advance to the 2nd version. After turn 4, advance to the final version. This would make one game thematically take several years with the characters growing as you play.

Locations: Sleeve them per game. At game start randomly pick a sleeve to play, This will mix it up and allow every location to be played still.

These are just my thoughts. Anyone have a better way to still be able to use all of the cards? I'm open for suggestions as I hate wasting cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILERS! (Just in case "year seven" in the title isn't enough of a warning.)

Dino5 wrote:
Locations: Sleeve them per game. At game start randomly pick a sleeve to play, This will mix it up and allow every location to be played still.


I'm really leery of any idea that involves using different locations during year seven. The game gets much harder with the introduction of the Horcrux deck and Year Seven is the only set of locations that has four locations instead of three. If things go bad in the early game, you need the extra time. Similarly, the fourth location in year seven has an ability that does not show up in other years. It doesn't make sense to have this ability in earlier years and its an important ability if your game comes down to the wire. I mean, sure, if you want to increase the difficulty go ahead and use a different location deck, just be aware that you are hurting yourself. Outside of year seven, I do like the idea of not knowing what the second location penalty is going to be in your game, but I don't know that this really introduces enough variation into the game to ward off "staleness". If the game gets stale, the location deck isn't going to be the cause.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First, this thread should really be in Variants, as that's what you're proposing.

Next: The Location Cards act as a game timer.

Year One contains 2 cards with fairly short tracks.
Intermediate years contain 2/3 cards with slowly increasing length tracks.
Year Seven contains 4 cards with fairly long tracks.

I'm fairly certain that the game would be extremely difficult if you used Year One locations with Year 7 Villains (and 3 out at a time). I welcome you to try it, let us know how it goes.

I'm not sure how the Locations Cards would 'get stale'. With the exception of the "reveal" power on some of the locations in the last few years, they are really just another resource/timer to manage.

If you want to play a different year's location cards (timer), you really have to play that year's game, with that year's hero specials. It's easy enough to do with a full deck, you just purge any events/villians/hogwart cards that are above the year you're playing (or presort them out if you prefer) as you draw them.


Concerning the idea of the progressive hero cards - I have a concern, which is Hermione. Her "Give everyone a Seal" ability needs to trigger as early and as often as possible. I'd hate to have to wait until after turn 4 to wait for that effect to kick in.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I'm fairly certain that the game would be extremely difficult if you used Year One locations with Year 7 Villains (and 3 out at a time). I welcome you to try it, let us know how it goes.


I was actually thinking of this as a good way to progressively make the game harder after you beat Game 7 in normal mode. A group could start playing in reverse order the locations for each game to essentially keep decreasing their game counter and making it harder. It's not perfect since the earlier locations don't bump up the Dark-Arts card draws like the later locations but the time constraint should be interesting.

As far as the Heroes, you could do similar to the locations and try playing games with the younger/weaker Heroes to make your game harder. I think the "progressive hero advancement" idea is a little to tedious for playing out a normal game.

My wife and I were also thinking of another variation where...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the two extra Voldemort villain cards are added to the villain stack in equal distances (1/3 and 2/3 from the top) to up the danger of the stack. You wouldn't have to clear the lineup and it would fill a normal villain spot (unlike how the card normally acts) so it just adds to the difficulty while using them in a creative way. The other villain cards would still be randomized so it is not easier at the beginning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BenJazz wrote:
My wife and I were also thinking of another variation where...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the two extra Voldemort villain cards are added to the villain stack in equal distances (1/3 and 2/3 from the top) to up the danger of the stack. You wouldn't have to clear the lineup and it would fill a normal villain spot (unlike how the card normally acts) so it just adds to the difficulty while using them in a creative way. The other villain cards would still be randomized so it is not easier at the beginning.
I like the idea. However, game 7 already takes around 2 hours. Making the villain stack even larger will only extend game length.

Maybe
Spoiler (click to reveal)
replace Quirrel and the Basilisk (both dead in book 7) with the two "lesser" Voldemorts. Thematically, the appearance of Voldemort twice throughout the game could represent the two close calls at Godric's Hollow and Malfoy Manor.
For setup, after revealing the 3 staring villains, shuffle Voldemort 5 into the top half of the villain stack, and Voldemort 6 in the bottom half of the villain stack, then place everything on the face-up Voldemort as usual.
That would keep the game length down, still make it more difficult, and also fit from a thematic point of view.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent L
msg tools
mbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
BenJazz wrote:
My wife and I were also thinking of another variation where...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the two extra Voldemort villain cards are added to the villain stack in equal distances (1/3 and 2/3 from the top) to up the danger of the stack. You wouldn't have to clear the lineup and it would fill a normal villain spot (unlike how the card normally acts) so it just adds to the difficulty while using them in a creative way. The other villain cards would still be randomized so it is not easier at the beginning.
I like the idea. However, game 7 already takes around 2 hours. Making the villain stack even larger will only extend game length.

Maybe
Spoiler (click to reveal)
replace Quirrel and the Basilisk (both dead in book 7) with the two "lesser" Voldemorts. Thematically, the appearance of Voldemort twice throughout the game could represent the two close calls at Godric's Hollow and Malfoy Manor.
For setup, after revealing the 3 staring villains, shuffle Voldemort 5 into the top half of the villain stack, and Voldemort 6 in the bottom half of the villain stack, then place everything on the face-up Voldemort as usual.
That would keep the game length down, still make it more difficult, and also fit from a thematic point of view.


I like this, but Quirrel is such a nice and easy villain to have around. I wouldn't want to give him up surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.