Subject: Why not being able to buy MvM right now makes me happy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Lapuz
United States
Corona
CA
flag msg tools
I haven't snagged my copy as of writing this (11:57 AM PST) I still have high hopes that I will get one today. Even if I don't, I will be over the moon. I woke up this morning thinking I would be able to quickly get on and grab one before anyone notices. I was up and ready at 7 AM. I half expected what I thought would happen and half expected what actually happened. To my dismay, I'm hoping they don't sell out before I can place an order.

Even if I couldn't get a wave one copy, I'm hoping for a wave two copy. But that's not what I'm excited about. I know I'll get it eventually. What I'm excited about is what Riot is going to take away from this. If anything, this tells Riot that there is a huge number of people who want to either collect top quality stuff from them or want to play more than just Summoner's Rift or Howling Abyss or Summoner's Rift with massive cooldowns. There are people out there who want to see an extension of the LoL universe.

Seeing how popular this game is, maybe Riot will release add-ons or maybe another board game. Either way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was excited for this game.

UPDATE: 12:54 PM
I just got my copy. The trick was to be patient and get lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kostas voulk
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
And hopefully they develop a whole baordgame department, so we get to see other genres of games with this value for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be nice but I suspect it would make almost no sense economically. 100K copies at low margin is a waste of resources for Riot compared to their core business.

Maybe I am wrong but I suspect this is a one off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exciting. I imagine the response is far greater than any of them anticipated, so maybe we will get expansions / other games in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lane
msg tools
What makes me unhappy, is struggling for ages to get as far as putting in my credit card details, and then getting the message that it's sold out??!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Morgan
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
May I also recommend that they invest in a system that can actually scale when webserver activity goes up. There are plenty of cloud automation platforms that could've helped with the traffic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david knowles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Select wave 2 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmorgan1217 wrote:
May I also recommend that they invest in a system that can actually scale when webserver activity goes up. There are plenty of cloud automation platforms that could've helped with the traffic.

They based on their experience and knowledge planned as well as they could. Let's not forget places like MM have their own server issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
This also tells them that having a mass marketing campaign with a strict sale time and copy limit would result in a large amount initial interest. No company on the face of the earth could have ever seen this coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leopard wrote:
Select wave 2 instead.

There is no Wave 2 available in the north american store, the Wave 1 is not sold out yet on this side of the pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gpsilberman wrote:
That would be nice but I suspect it would make almost no sense economically. 100K copies at low margin is a waste of resources for Riot compared to their core business.

Maybe I am wrong but I suspect this is a one off.

We didn't do this with the expectation that we'd make League-level money... we did it because we love board games and we thought there might be folk who would like board games in Runeterra. If we make more it would be because that proved to be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.