Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was so impressed with how they handled the Media blitz. All at once so many reviewers posting reviews all in one day.
BAM!

Not only was that well done, the photos and praise from everyone who has seen it was amazing. Watching the game plays, this could be a really fun game with friends.

Listened to interview of the Development heads wow they really care about the product and seem sincere.

15,000 ready to be sold today.

Not just in one country but many.

They are professionals wow.

I admit I assumed they would have doubled no tripled no etc...

Since 5 min before 11 I had my thing in the bag.

I am honestly disappointed.

There is no way they could not have expected this; they created it.

I am disappointed they were not ready for this. If I got beat out and did not make it on the line for the game that is understandable because of the limited quantity. But server issues unacceptable.

So disappointed I thought better of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I'm out.

One less buyer clogging the pipeline.

Wasted far too much time on this. I could have played a game in this amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev C
msg tools
I've never known Riot Support to be a good thing. Shouldn't have been surprised. Thanks for wasting more of my time Riot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to pile on negativity, but the point in the OP made does beg the question - why put so much effort into generating hype without trying to measure it's effectiveness before the big-bang go-live? I am making some assumptions in the nature of that question, but from a consumer's standpoint it seems that Riot has dropped the ball so far.

Since the timeout everyone is getting is on the shopping cart even displaying it doesn't seem to be an upstream service provider (merchant services provider for example) that's bottlenecked. It really looks like limitation in server capacity on their cart service (whether 3rd party hosted or directly hosted by Riot, I can't say). These things are easily volume tested before a big release.

I'm just another frustrated customer caught up in the effort to place my order, but standing at my desk waiting for the gateway to timeout does result in some time to reflect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it would have been nice to have a raffle for the 15,000 spots beforehand. That's probably a pain to coordinate and run though; this way they get their ecommerce servers to implement the raffle for them in real-time

I was on the fence anyway trying to decide whether I really wanted it or it was just the hype train ("Look at everything you get for $75!"). I had already planned out everything I wanted through the end of the year and this felt more like a novelty rather than a necessity for me. But now I don't have to worry about it either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today was the first day where the kickstarter model actually made a lot of sense to me!

publishers can get a sense for the demand and fulfill orders in a peaceful manner.

This door buster crap is pretty dumb when it comes down to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm truly tired of the "more traffic than anticipated" mantra from PC Game companies.

I'd rather they just said, "it's. Of working right now." Feigning ignorance (or worse yet, actual ignorance) is just lazy. Do your due diligence and stress test. Prepare for worst case scenarios, rather than good enough scenarios.

As the OP said, way to build a media train and under deliver customer experience.

At the end of the day though, they are moving their $$$ and that's what they care about.

Giving gamers great value... if you're aloud to buy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're very disappointed as well. We'd based our assumptions on our most popular promotions and sales in the past, but it turns out demand for a board game is much higher! We weren't trying to build hype by avoiding pre-orders, we just wanted to make sure everyone had time to make an informed decision. None of us are happy about how this has gone, and I understand everyone's frustration. I've been sitting here for the last 3.5 hours tearing my hair out.

I'm really sorry we let you all down with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, Calm down a bit.

They said something like 30% of the NA first wave orders are already ordered. In the first 3 hours. WITH all the issues.

How many people do you think were trying to order at once?

Ever tried to get on Steam at the beginning of one of their big sales? And that is Valve. Who has TONS of experience with what is going to happen. And they still have trouble dealing with it.

Just. Calm down a bit.

This is literally an unprecedented thing for a board game to be perfectly honest. I doubt any board game has sold out a 30k print run on the first day (which is very likely to happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
We're very disappointed as well. We'd based our assumptions on our most popular promotions and sales in the past, but it turns out demand for a board game is much higher! We weren't trying to build hype by avoiding pre-orders, we just wanted to make sure everyone had time to make an informed decision. None of us are happy about how this has gone, and I understand everyone's frustration. I've been sitting here for the last 3.5 hours tearing my hair out.

I believe you, but how did you all not anticipate the popularity of this game? I personally cannot fathom that, and I don't even play LOL.

You really think they should have expected day 1 sales of their board game to be better than day 1 sales of pretty much EVERY board game that has ever existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Null Field wrote:
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

I believe you, but how did you all not anticipate the popularity of this game? I personally cannot fathom that, and I don't even play LOL.

You really think they should have expected day 1 sales of their board game to be better than day 1 sales of pretty much EVERY board game that has ever existed.

It's not an unreasonable expectation. Their whole plan was to convert LoL customers to the board game (not a small community). In addition to the traditional board game community.

(And if that wasn't their intent, it shouldn't have LoL attached to it anywhere/shape/form, since it's so dissimilar).

If they took an estimate of active LoL users (with a conversion factor) and typical board game sales, I don't imagine their estimates should be as conservative as you think.

Like I said, they are giving gamers great value, but PC Game companies have beaten an eternally dead mule with the "unanticipated demand/traffic" comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cone Defense wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Null Field wrote:
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

It's not an unreasonable expectation. Their whole plan was to convert LoL customers to the board game (not a small community). In addition to the traditional board game community.

(And if that wasn't their intent, it shouldn't have LoL attached to it anywhere/shape/form, since it's so dissimilar).

If they took an estimate of active LoL users (with a conversion factor) and typical board game sales, I don't imagine their estimates should be as conservative as you think.

Like I said, they are giving gamers great value, but PC Game companies have beaten an eternally dead mule with the "unanticipated demand/traffic" comment.

Yet, if looking at LOL reddit, there was only minimal interest for MvM there. I think the place which shows greatest interest for MvM is BGG. Even here, only few members posted (few, compared to 15.000 stocks Riot had prepared).

Edit for numbers:
- MvM release thread on /r/leagueoflegends: 233 replies.
- MvM release thread on /r/boardgames: 754 replies.
- MvM release thread on BGG: there is one big thread with 400 replies and there are many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

I for one appreciate that you guys are actively posting in different places and apologizing. A lot of companies wouldn't bother in this situation, knowing they'll make money anyways. Regardless of preparations, these things happen. It's your first venture into board games and you did it with a very reasonable price and a huge amount of up front inventory compared to other game print runs. If you had done early birds then I'd be mad laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

At the end of the (stressful) day, you did something pretty cool and a lot of fun is on its way to people now. It has been insane on this side of the web browser for sure as well. I am sure there will be plenty of post-mortem to cover this day

Customer experience sure took a hit, but overall this is amazing, and will continue to be for the next waves.

Good day sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
We'd based our assumptions on our most popular promotions and sales in the past, but it turns out demand for a board game is much higher!

As a control experiment, next promotion for whatever merch, create a media embargo around it, send it to a bunch of streamers (closest equivalent to reviewers I guess) for them to wear all on the same day at once and for 3 weeks non stop until you open the sales with a pre-announced limited supply, at a significant discount compared to similar existing items on the market.

Who knows, maybe you just found a working hype formula regardless of the item!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.