Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the priviledge cards are good if they come up early in the game, but are pretty much useless if they come up in the 4th or 5th round such as Otto (gives an extra worker), Ellen (can look at event card), Thomas(protection from event card)...
Other cards are good no matter when they come up such as the woolfair(8 gold), crying Madonna(3 points), and mathematics(2 metal). To fix it so that the priviledge cards are always useful I thought to seperate them into three piles: early cards, mid cards, and late cards. Then shuffle the piles seperatly, and remove one card from each along with the Prior Phillip card (because I hate it). I think this makes the game more interesting and fun. So far, I've played it once this way, and it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
This would diminish considerably the already limited randomness in the game, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taj Mahal, anyone?
Switzerland
Basel
Läckerli State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One the one hand, you've got a point in saying that certain privilege cards became rather useless in later rounds, on the other hand it must be said that this variant would make the game feel a even more scripted as we've already got the same ole craftsmen turning up every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion does decrease some of the randomness, and I understand how it could feel scripted if you play it that way many times. How about this for a compromise:

Take out the privilege cards that would be useless if they come up late. Shuffle the remaining cards then add enough cards to the separated cards so that you have two stacks of 7. Shuffle both piles and remove 2 cards from each. One pile is the early stack and one the late stack. Put the early stack on top of the late stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last round has fixed cards.
Prior to the last round, the variability of value for the cards that may turn up during the course of the game offers a nice decision for players.
ie it is turn 5 and Ellen comes up. Is she worth One gold? How about zero?

If the cards always came up in their optimal order then the choice of where to go with your master builder is always consistent. It is nice to have cards come up that are worth the full seven next to cards that are worth maybe 1.

The benefit of this variant is when players are new to the game they won't get shafted with a buying a bad card.
Play without the variant for a "gloves off" match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i had some thoughts on this too but never tried it out.

there are some cards that are really only worth it if they show up very early (like see future cards or protection from a card), others are very powerful if they show up early (like one wood or stone each round).

the powerful cards obviously increase the luck factor. the weak cards don't cause a problem to the game, i just think its sad to almost never have them in play.

so i think a mechanism to increase the chance, that the cards show "at the right time" does make sense to increase the usefulness of cards, and therefore the game variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.