Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say the fair is about to happen and I have yet to present a wine for the fair.

I currently have 3 wine experts available to use. I am presenting a wine of value 7.

Can I use 2 renown cubes to make the value 9, thus increasing the number of wine experts that I am allowed to play?

Since I only have 3 wine experts (and lets pretend they are wine experts that happen to match the features in my fair booth), I don't really get a benefit of increasing the value from 7 to 9.

Though technically I get a benefit of being able to pay more wine experts. (which of course in this particular case has no value.)

I believe the rules would allow me to use the renown in this case. But if the goal of renown is you can only use it when it actually helps you out and not just to waste it, you shouldn't be allowed to do it here.

So, is it legal?

(and obviously I could expect a different answer if you send wine to the fair earlier when you still have time to possibly acquire more wine experts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Let's say the fair is about to happen and I have yet to present a wine for the fair.

I currently have 3 wine experts available to use. I am presenting a wine of value 7.

Can I use 2 renown cubes to make the value 9, thus increasing the number of wine experts that I am allowed to play?

Since I only have 3 wine experts (and lets pretend they are wine experts that happen to match the features in my fair booth), I don't really get a benefit of increasing the value from 7 to 9.

Though technically I get a benefit of being able to pay more wine experts. (which of course in this particular case has no value.)

I believe the rules would allow me to use the renown in this case. But if the goal of renown is you can only use it when it actually helps you out and not just to waste it, you shouldn't be allowed to do it here.

So, is it legal?

(and obviously I could expect a different answer if you send wine to the fair earlier when you still have time to possibly acquire more wine experts)
Yes it is perfectly legal, if nothing else, than to deny your opponents use of those cubes in the future. The answer doesn't change based on when you do the press release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

So, is it legal?

Yes it is perfectly legal, if nothing else, than to deny your opponents use of those cubes in the future. The answer doesn't change based on when you do the press release.

This is what I expected, and I agree it is a good ruling just for rule consistency and clarity.

But it definitely seems to go against the intent of not using renown cubes for no actually gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A vast majority of your questions are in the rule book and discoverable after 1 game.

Set up a dummy game it will make your game click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
A vast majority of your questions are in the rule book and discoverable after 1 game.

I've played the first edition game. I understand how it works. Just making sure how a few details work that I don't think are all fully answered in the rules.

I agree that some are clarifications that the rules do support but help understanding in case that could lead to ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Kassanova wrote:

I've played the first edition game. I understand how it works. Just making sure how a few details work that I don't think are all fully answered in the rules.

I agree that some are clarifications that the rules do support but help understanding in case that could lead to ambiguity.

I understand but many of the questions you have asked would be answered after a single play and some were pretty much theory craft.

I am not saying "Stop asking" merely suggesting that you are making your own challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Kassanova wrote:

I understand but many of the questions you have asked would be answered after a single play and some were pretty much theory craft.

I am not saying "Stop asking" merely suggesting that you are making your own challenges.

I understand your meaning. I'm not sure which of these questions would have actually been answered by playing the game. (As I have played and still had the questions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.