Subject: Fast-paced, fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took part in playtesting in the Yorkshire Terrier pub last night. I went simply for the experience of being involved in playtesting, but the game definitely exceeded my expectations.

One thing I do not like about auction games is that it is difficult to evaluate an item's worth if you are not fairly familiar with the game. It's Alive does not have that problem. It is less about insider knowledge of what particular items should be worth, and much more about judging a tactical advantage.

You also have to balance buying the best items, with attempting to be the first to collect the set. This makes for a fast-paced game.

We were playing with prototypes, so I can't comment on the quality of components - the artwork was great though.

The rules suggest basic and advanced versions. The basic game is good for kids, and the advanced game adds a bit more tension, strategy and calculation.

I've played a few auction games, which have left me feeling underwhelmed. It's Alive was different. It is fun to play, and leaves plenty of space to drive a bargain. It was a bit of a leap from the original theme of buying Jewish candles, to mad scientists trading body parts. Definitely a wise move that. I hope it is a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Babb
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was at the play-test session at the Yorkshire Terrier and was not sure what to expect from the game. I admit, the first game, having just read the rules for the first time, was a little iffy, but I was seeing the intricacy of the game and the dynamics with 4 players by the end. I was surprised at how differently it played with 2 players versus 3 or more. A very good game, with excellent artwork, particularly the player screens. Can't wait to see the final version and pick up my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.