Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making a semi microgame, and to reduce the number of coponents I increased the density of the content of the cards. There is now 2 cards built as 1 card, where one of the card is played horozontally, and the other one vertically.

So far, the best layout design I found to organise the information is this one.

So the orientation of the card determines which card is used. I tried the other way around (split card or the short side) and it does not seem as much convenient as the layout above.

Now I was wondering if there were other kind of possible layouts that could worth take a look at.

I know the magic dual cards cards:

I could place each cards facing upside down to whoe which card is active, but it might be too confusing to the opposing player.

Know any other game that uses dual cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MTG also had cards like this:

another idea would be Flip City. Where the card backs are the "second card"

not sure if those really help....any more info on how the game is played?

Many games have multiple symbols and such but none are really striking my mind as far as able to be ID any other way than how their played...could you have zones in the play area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea of using the card orientation seems okay, as long as the cards don't need to be touched again and can accidentally be rotated later. Although it still seems to me that it can be a little confusing having all that info visible in different orientations, and you'll have to rotate the cards on your hand constantly to read their effects.

La Granja uses cards with 4 different types of information on the front that can be used 4 different ways, the top part is used to deliver products (the card being used as a barrow), the bottom square of text is a special power (the card being used as a worker), and the two lateral columns each give you different resources and bonuses (the card being used as a farm expansion).

When you play a card you have to place it in the slots on one of the 4 sides of your player board, partially covered under it so only one section of the card is showing and that's the effect that takes place, the other 3 sections of the card are ignored. This also limits how many cards can be used for each action.

If you don't play a lot of cards during your game (or during a round before clearing), you can have a small cardboard rectangle or a couple of extra cards put together (forming a long strip) that acts as a player board and conceals one half of each card as they are played. That way you can use the Magic dual-card or any other half-and-half layout with all the info orientated the same direction, and still avoid confusion about the intended effect for each card.

Like this (or horizontally if your cards are orientated the other way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could divide them diagonally from top left to bottom right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a couple of card games with split cards; the corners have icons for both sides, so it's easy to see what you have, even when they're fanned in your hand:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome and Mottainai both have multi-use cards, depending on how they are played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
La Granja uses cards with 4 different types of information on the front that can be used 4 different ways

It reminds me of glory to rome

Quote:
not sure if those really help....any more info on how the game is played?

The 2 main usage that requires card face information is:

A: Play a card straight up for either an immediate effect, or leave it in play for a permanent effect. Could be similar to MTG sorcery and Enchantment

B: Play a card side ways to become a commandable unit used for attacking or other purpose. Similar to summon spells in MTG.

I first though of hiding a part of the cards for the units, but since they are going to move around a lot, it was not very convenient. It also cost extra cards.

Else, permanent effect cards could be stacked to hide the wrong portion of the card, but there should not be that do many on the table anyway.

Tapping would simply flip cards face down. Else I could rotate the card upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a possible layout picture using battle group cards:

The center is the deck at the top and the discard pile.

On the bottom you have the permanent cards, on the top you have the units you can use. They could either be placed side by side or stacked one above the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I think your original layout is just fine. Sure, you get extra visual clutter per card, but that cannot be avoided.

What strikes me is the orientation of the text. When the card is rotated for use, the text for the other part is not as easily read since what you see (reading from left to right) is the end or middle of the text. This makes it not a temptation to read, and thus, not distracting. I believe this is a good thing. If the side text were rotated 180 degrees to stack cards from the bottom, then in either case when the card is rotated, the other text would be easier to read (and therefore distracting).

One thing to note is the icon for the vertical section. When the card is in portrait mode, the icon for the vertical section may seem to align with the icons on the horizontal section. Without knowing the game, this may be easy to mix up. Putting the vertical section icon on the bottom of the card (in front of the section title) would eliminate that. But it may confuse with the icons on the bottom of the other section. Perhaps just making sure the sizes and alignment of icons obviously do not match would be useful. Or maybe a different border for icon types.

The only other option I see is to make a blank to cover half of a card where each half is in portrait mode with the text 180 degrees rotated from each other,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The position of my icons will not be at the same place than this game. I'll consider how cards are hold into the hand. Still, sometimes, you want to see in a glance what both parts of the card do when hold into your hand instead of rotating the cards constantly.

Still, for now, I am planning that players hold only 3 cards in hands, so the information overflow should be relatively low. But that rules could change with design progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, holding cards does mean the position of the icon is important. In that case, I would make sure the borders are unique to the icons on the left side of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.