Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Smash Up Digital rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Hopkins
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Has anybody played Smash Up Digital on Steam yet?
How is it?
Any problems or concerns?

Looking forward to jumping on soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was dissapointed by the fact that they only had 9 factions availible, the cost seemd a little steep, and the faction distribution was weird.

Otherwise, I haven't played but the implemetation looks fine, although I would have preffered minions surrounding bases rather than in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
It's available now on Steam (early access) if anyone wants to test it out.

I've played a few games and came across several bugs. It helps to report them on the steam discussion board for the devs to review. Still a work in progress. I guess that's the point of Early Access though, to help them sort through the issues.

Overall, I like the interface and feels headed in the right direction. It's a bit clunky at first, having to click 'proceed' after every small step. Some of this can be sped up or skipped via the game options. But at the same time it helps to have some pauses since there may be several opportunities to play cards throughout the various phases of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also tried the digital game and I'm a bit disappointed. Not so much about the interface, bugs and whatever, that I know may be changed, but about the paying system and the pseudo free to play.

If they want it to be feel a free to play, they should allow more free factions, so there is enough player pool with varied strategies. Then, if you want expansions, you pay. As a free to play player, I find it boring to have access only to three factions (Geeks, Dinosaurs and Ninjas), so I will not play often, so the player pool will decrease and people won't find opponents, so they'll eventually stop playing.

Or, if you have the physical game, you get your factions digital too, but that would be too good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the IAP that you purchase in steam willl be unlocked in IOS when that version comes out?

I will be playing on IOS and don't do any steam gaming currently but I'm willing to try, I just don't want to have to pay twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Does anyone know if the IAP that you purchase in steam willl be unlocked in IOS when that version comes out?

I will be playing on IOS and don't do any steam gaming currently but I'm willing to try, I just don't want to have to pay twice.

I would assume this is not the case. That is not how Nomad does things for Talisman. I can't think of any developer that does this besides White Wizard's Star Realms, which has more flexibility because they are publishing their own apps. Are there others?

You can use the free version, which is a little lame in its faction restrictions (and rather buggy at this point) but will at least give you a sense of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Was really excited about the app, but am currently really bummed about how payments and factions have been handled. Own all factions and will not spend more than $10 to get them all digitally. My hope is for rotation of the free factions, ways to earn without paying, or having physical purchases translate to digital as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timgoddard wrote:
I would assume this is not the case. That is not how Nomad does things for Talisman. I can't think of any developer that does this besides White Wizard's Star Realms, which has more flexibility because they are publishing their own apps. Are there others?

Plenty, in fact a majority of my games that are freemium can be freely transferred between my android and ios device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
timgoddard wrote:

Plenty, in fact a majority of my games that are freemium can be freely transferred between my android and ios device.

I meant Steam IAPs <-> mobile. That's what has seemed less frequent to me. I don't do much on iOS these days so don't have much insight into that, though I would be curious about the specific games you're referring to.

Cheddarific wrote:
My hope is for rotation of the free factions, ways to earn without paying, or having physical purchases translate to digital as well.

I don't understand what the point of this would be from the developer perspective, with the possible exception of rotating free factions. Why would they put so much effort into catering to people who have no plans to pay them money? Keep in mind that this is not being developed by AEG, but by Nomad Games. They have not received any of what you have spent on cardboard games, and they have mouths/bills/investors to feed/pay/satisfy themselves.

You could certainly argue the price point of $2/faction, but that feels like a reasonable cost for a Steam game given comparable games, I think. The problem is that it's almost certainly too expensive for an iOS or Android game, so they may well price them lower on those platforms. If they do, then they certainly won't let the IAPs migrate freely between them. It's one or the other (hopefully--it could be neither which would be lame).

I do think that the rotating free factions idea--or perhaps more likely, making one of the new factions free temporarily when they release new ones--has merit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
i found the gameplay and interface just fine. It took me about one game to get used to how things worked in an general sense. Some things you can't learn until you use the cards with weird abilities, but they were pretty clear to me once i did use them.

They even made the Geek interruption cards easy to use.

I am completely fine with the IAP cost. I own everything physical, and I do not feel bad about paying a small amount for the digital races. I can't use my physical copy to play online vs anyone at any moment, and it is worth the small cost to be able to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
I also agree with the idea of getting factions you own, or some benefit for getting the hard copies. Also don't like how everyone can be the same faction. I was expecting zombies, but "they keep coming".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a fun at all of the steam app because:

1. it is possible to encounter multiples of the same factions in a game.

2. the pricing model

3. they should have released it on game board arena not on steam

4. there are some annoying things implemented (like the proceed button nonsense)

Friends and myself will not gonna support the digital version of this game (for casual play and especially for local tournaments)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.