Lars Munstermann
msg tools
In my latest Game of Thrones session, we had 5 more or less experienced players and one newbie, who had drawn Greyjoy. We played the T6 rules. The problem was, that the Greyjoy player did not really understand the game and had the only goal not to be the last. So in the first round, Greyjoy made a truce with Lannister, G gets Seagard+ Flints Finger, L Riverrun. Because of that, L could expand without being troubled by G (with now superior housecards). Tyrell and Martell did standard openings, Baratheon tried to claim the narrow sea and failed, but Patchfaced Eddard. Stark (me) took the Narrow Sea +Moat Calin, losing Robb+Eddard (should have played Greatjon). So in the next round there was of course a mustering, which favoured Lannister once again. Stark focused later on powerfarming in the north, the problem was, this was not that effective as I hoped, because nearly every round the card "Game of Thrones" was drawn, so that every player got enough PT's. In the mid game Tyrell nearly overrun Martell, but I tried to rally the other players to play against Tyrell, which helped to save Martell, who could recover and who had at the end the 4 standard Martell castles.
So Tyrell and Martell were weakened and Lannister and Baratheon were constatly at war, sometimes with battles against Tyrell. Greyjoy remained passive, but had a fucking big army through the mustering cards. Also Greyjoy was able to hold the sword the hole time, so there was no way for me to expand to Seagard or to Flints Finger. So another option was the Eyrie, which I took probably a bit too late. In my desperation I tried to build a fleet in the west, with the intention to take the Sunset Sea, in order to be able to raid Ironmans Bay. Of course this failed, because Lannister supported Greyjoy at sea. So my fleet got routed and in the very same turn (9) Tyrell attacked the Sunset Sea. He was totally inferior, but both wanted to stop me from winning, Tyrell because I formed the alliance against him, Greyjoy agreed whyever to lose the battle intentionally. So Tyrell played Loras, went to Bay of Ice and destroyed my routed units.
So on the last turn, there was the following situation:
M: Sunspear, Storms End, Yronwood, Starfall
T: Highgarden, Oldtown
L: Lannisport, Riverrun, Reach
S: Eyrie, Winterfell, Moat Cailin, White Harbor
B: Dragonstone, Cracklaw Point, Harrenhal
G: Pyke, Flints Finger, Seagard
Tyrell was at my doorstep, so I had to put a lot support orders around Winterfell, but I managed to hold the capital. Tyrell made the wrong choice for a final assault out of revenge. Greyjoy remained passive as ever, allowing Lannister to concentrate on his war against Baratheon, with the result, that he takes Kings Landing and Harrenhal on the last turn for the win. I took Cracklaw Point, so we both had 5 victory points, but he had more strongholds.
Fun fact: Greyjoy could have, despite her horribly bad strategy, won on turn 10, if she would have attacked my Moat Cailin with Balon and the sword and if she had taken the poorly defended Riverrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any passive newbie will allow their neighbour to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're griping publicly on BGG because a noob didn't understand the game well enough to help you win?

Guess Lannister did a better job of easing them into the game than you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Munstermann
msg tools
Chrysm wrote:
So you're griping publicly on BGG because a noob didn't understand the game well enough to help you win?

Guess Lannister did a better job of easing them into the game than you did.

Lannister did a better job, I did not deny that in my session review. I also stated some of my own mistakes (there were more of course), I never said that was a good game from me.

I just wanted to post a more or less entertaining review, I did not post names so I do not think, that any player has a problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.