Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of the first games I played when I received my piecepack, which seems appropriate as it was one of the first games created for the piecepack. A simple game that has turned out to be enjoyable enough to keep on playing.

Components
Naturally, this depends on the PiecePack you purchased (or made) but I should say that either a monochrome or color piecepack will suit this game. A plastic or wood set is a must. Foamcard or paper just isn't heavy enough for the mechanics of the game.
The standard piecepack is all that is required. There are no extra components, extra piecpacks or scoresheets needed. (However, we sometimes use shiny cardboard as a field, so the coins slide easier!)
The rules are very easy to understand and fit on a single page while still being comprehensive.

Game Setup
You do need a smooth surface so the coins can move easily. A polished table or thick, shiny cardboard can be used. The soccer field is created by building a rectangle 7 tiles wide by 8 tiles deep, with a tile missing at each end to act as Goals.
Four coins of the Arms and Crowns suits are used for each team and must be placed in the setup box in front of the goal area. A sun coin is used for the Soccer ball and is placed in the middle.

The setup is quick and easy because of the simple design and limited number of pieces used.

Gameplay
This is where I was pleasantly surprised. The flicking technique works very well and is surprisingly accurate without a great lot of skill required. You place the tip of your index finger behind one of your kickers (coins) and flick it so your kicker will hit and move the ball toward your opponent's goal.

You can bounce the ball off the tiles to avoid other kickers, and the rules seem to cover all eventualities that may arise. (including dislodging the tiles)
There are tactics involved as you try to decide whether you will play defensively (keep some kickers in front of your own goal to block the ball) or play agressively (get your kickers out there to make the most of every opportunity).

The object is to score 3 goals and this allows for a shorter game. Although as you become better the games do seem to last longer. Expect some nailbiting moments and don't be scared to get excited.

Conclusion
Piecepack Soccer is an excellent game that will provide many hours of fun. There is a small level of skill required, mixed with some strategy and tactics. It is something different to the abstracts and pattern building games that are normally associated with the piecepack. I have played it with my wife and numerous nieces and nephews. My wife rates it a 7 while I give it an 8.

I recommend that you at least give this game a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I just bought the three different versions of Piecepack components and would like to start playing a few piecepack games.

Where can I locate the rules for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be downloaded from here: http://www.piecepack.org/rules/Soccer.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.