Subject: First play after receiving the physical game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Hi,

After only playing solo games with the PnP version (in a digital version on my computer), I was finally able to play with the physical game, as I received the KS King Pledge yesterday.

I was the Overlord. Daughter controlled Conan, and the Mrs. controlled Hadrathus (mage) and Shevatas (thief).

I was very glad I had all my experience from solo plays of the Print-and-Play version. I started explaining rules around 19:45. Shortly after 20:00 we began playing.

The heroes were lucky and managed to slay Sogar Zag fairly early, but Conan got caught up in the center zone when the giant snake exited its hut, and more and more critters turned up to try and slay him. Meanwhile Hadrathus (using a lot of teleport) and Shevatas (with his fleetfootedness (word?) were checking huts for the presence of the princess as the huts emptied, their occupants heading out to attempt to slay Conan.

But the Overlord was lucky in that the players did not discover the correct hut until there was only two huts left to search. There was not much time left. The heroes had to hurry!

Shortly before 22:00, the heroes were victorious.

Shevatas were gunning down picts with his newfound crossbow and delaying the picts that were after an unarmed, unarmored Conan with the unconscious form of Yselda over his shoulder.

Conan and the princess escaped from the village in the last turn before the heroes would have lost, with only one stamina gem left (the rest as wounds), and three picts at his heels but powerless to stop him.

The round prior to this, Hadrathus had spent the last of his energy on a teleport outside the palisade and walked away past three stunned picts guarding the ordinary exit to the east.

Very close! Great game! Can't wait to play more scenarios and more plays of this as well!

It was sort of late when we began, and it was our first play through. I'm guessing that next time with the same scenario, it might take something close to the 90 minutes it says on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip regarding Hadrathus: on his first turn, make him passive, recovering all his energy. On his second turn he can then inspect 3+ huts by teleporting around. There's no explicit limitation that Teleport can only be used once per turn. This frees up Shevatas for other purposes. Note, also, that Hadrathus has the Concentration skill, so he is unaffected by Hindering until he picks up too much loot. He can, without penalty, loot the chests of huts he teleports into even if they are full of enemies.

The obvious question some players will likely asks:

Do hut walls block adjacency for purposes of teleporting?

Not according to the Wall Wrecker skill, which uses the term "adjacent" to refer to spaces separated by a wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Nérot
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Tip regarding Hadrathus: on his first turn, make him passive, recovering all his energy. On his second turn he ...

shutdown his halo of Mitra :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torenc wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Tip regarding Hadrathus: on his first turn, make him passive, recovering all his energy. On his second turn he ...

He can't be attacked on his first turn, anyway: the hut flaps cost 2 movement to cross, so nobody can reach him (unless the O'Lord spends extra Stamina to do so). The scenario rules say it costs 2 MP for "characters" to cross the flaps, and it uses the term "characters" to include the O'Lord's mobs (e.g. the rules for Area Effect attacks). i.e. the O'Lord is affected by them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Torenc wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

He can't be attacked on his first turn, anyway: the hut flaps cost 2 movement to cross, so nobody can reach him (unless the O'Lord spends extra Stamina to do so). The scenario rules say it costs 2 MP for "characters" to cross the flaps, and it uses the term "characters" to include the O'Lord's mobs (e.g. the rules for Area Effect attacks). i.e. the O'Lord is affected by them, too.

If Picts have a movement of 2 then having a flap that costs your 2 movements just to cross it is poorly thought out as that would mean you need 3 movement to get inside and outside of the hut with a pict. For the Overlord that is bad. That would be a REALLY heavy flap if it cost extra energy to cross for the picts. A hut flap should not completely wear you out if you go in and out of your hut a number of times. It should slow your movement down, but not wear you out.

What I have seen in the play tests is that the flap counts as one movement so it takes a total of 2 movements to get either inside or outside of the hut, not 3 movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:

What I have seen in the play tests is that the flap counts as one movement so it takes a total of 2 movements to get either inside or outside of the hut, not 3 movements.

Correct (apologies if i misrepresented that). The flap adds a point. Thus it costs 2 points to enter or leave a hut, and Picts only have 2 MP each. This has made the green group of picts pretty useless in the 2.5 times i've tried the scenario (first play-thru i had to restart because a translation error in the English version of Wall Wrecker let Conan make a scenario-breaking move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
There's no explicit limitation that Teleport can only be used once per turn.

Just remember Hadrathus spends 1 gem each time he activates "teleportation".
So to visit a hut within 2 areas, he activates the spell with 1 gem and spends 1 gem per area crossed (so 3 gems).
He wants to visit a second hut within 2 areas, so 1 gem to activate and 2 for the distance (so 3 other gems).

Teleportation is a gem burner !

sgbeal wrote:

No, you can teleport your character where you want...remembering 1 gem to activate then 1 gem per area crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
There's no explicit limitation that Teleport can only be used once per turn.

Just remember Hadrathus spends 1 gem each time he activates "teleportation".
So to visit a hut within 2 areas, he activates the spell with 1 gem and spends 1 gem per area crossed (so 3 gems).
He wants to visit a second hut within 2 areas, so 1 gem to activate and 2 for the distance (so 3 other gems).

Teleportation is a gem burner !

Aha...

Quote:
Assign a number of gems from your Reserve zone to this card. For each gem assigned, move your model to an adjacent space.

i had been ignoring the 1-point activation cost at the top. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Tip regarding Hadrathus: on his first turn, make him passive, recovering all his energy. On his second turn he can then inspect 3+ huts by teleporting around. There's no explicit limitation that Teleport can only be used once per turn. This frees up Shevatas for other purposes. Note, also, that Hadrathus has the Concentration skill, so he is unaffected by Hindering until he picks up too much loot. He can, without penalty, loot the chests of huts he teleports into even if they are full of enemies.

The obvious question some players will likely asks:

Not according to the Wall Wrecker skill, which uses the term "adjacent" to refer to spaces separated by a wall.

Yeah, going passive in the first round was actually the players' first "action" for all characters.
It didn't take long for them to grasp the possibilities in Hadrathus' teleport and in Shevatas' fleetfootedness (again: word?).

And the value of sacrifice at the right time. Hadrathus threw a bomb in his own zone to kill two pict hunters, so Conan would not have to fight them. (Because they *really* did not have the time for that.) Hadrathus had 4 unwounded stamina gems. Two red dice. Roll of four axes. Spent two gems in defense. Still wounded two gems. Exiting hut nr 7 (where the princess was), that was when he used his last two gems to teleport outside the palisade and leave the village, using his free movement points.

They played smart, I think. I expect to have an even harder job as Overlord when next we play the pict scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
. . . Shevatas (with his fleetfootedness (word?)

Works for me. Sounds properly Homeric.

Nice report.

Note to Picts: need to work on those door flaps, can we make them out of some other substance than tree limbs? Cloth, perhaps? Experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
JimZam wrote:

Note to Picts: need to work on those door flaps, can we make them out of some other substance than tree limbs? Cloth, perhaps? Experiment.

"Pict no want smooth flaps, Pict want hard tree limb flaps. Good for workout, makes big muscles, makes many women like"

-------------------------------

Thanks for the report, our first game consisted of Conan, Valeria and Shevatas (who kinda wanted to be a warrior, too *roll eyes @thieves never opening a single chest*), so the heroes slayed almost all opponents they encountered for the first half of the turn timer, but then ultimately missed the deadline b/c they were busy fighting so much in the first half.

Was a fun experience, and nice to read that you have an easier time winning the scenario on the heroes side when you don't "farm exp" and just stick to stealth, speed and the scenario objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.