Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got a prototype built and bought over at Game Crafter, but the two weeks is a little long (need it for a Con) so I was going to do PrintPlayGames.com but I'm having a hard time getting the cards in the format they want.

Right now, I use MS-Publisher for the designs. I merge data from a spreadsheet to get my final designs. When I prototype from home, I simply print 9 to a page (bridge cards) and cut them.

Pnpg wants 21 cards per sheet (and the sheets are big, like 12x18) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make my various programs output the individual cards onto that. I'm assuming it's something easy for something like Indesign, which I wish I knew.

It's easy to save the individual images as files which is what I did for GameCrafter.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you can save the individual cards as separate image files, then probably your best bet will be to download Inkscape or Scribus - the open source equivalents of Illustrator and Indesign respectively. Import the PDF template from Print and Play Productions into the software, then import each of your card images into a new layer and position them in the right positions on the template. Then save a new PDF out again to send to P&PP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I did this with TGC, I would get images for each card and then manipulate them onto the template image via Paint Shop Pro (with layers as indicated above, they're iofesavers for oops prevention).

I haven't done cards via printplay yet, haven't seen many templates up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
If you can save the individual cards as separate image files, then probably your best bet will be to download Inkscape or Scribus - the open source equivalents of Illustrator and Indesign respectively. Import the PDF template from Print and Play Productions into the software, then import each of your card images into a new layer and position them in the right positions on the template. Then save a new PDF out again to send to P&PP.

On the drive home I was thinking about doing that, but with pub again - basically save them all individually (I already did that to make the cards for game crafter), then make a new pub project and add the template and then the images.

It's annoying I can't just export from mspub somehow onto that format, but I guess it is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I ended up working on it, and I think I have it. Basically I made a mspub document at 12x18 (pnp's page size for cards); dragged their template on it; they pushed my cards with bleeds around until I got the positioning. Once I had the 21 cards in place, I duplicated the page, and then it was easy to just copy/paste new images over the old ones while keeping the size, layout and orientation the same.

It's a pain to setup the template - but if this one works and the method works and I do a second template for poker cards (this one is a bridge temnplate) I'll have a card template in mspub that'll work for my designs going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.