BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hostile Hype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
So unless you've been living under a rock, Mechs vs. Minions went on sale a few hours ago.
As was to be predicted, Riot's servers couldn't keep up with the traffic and many a costumer was greeted with error messages when trying to smatch a copy.

Before long, wave 1 shipments were sold out in Europe.

Whilst hitting the refresh key like a fool (though finally snatching a wave 1 EU copy ) I kept an eye out for the BGG forums and found a plethora of nasty threads spawning as a result of the difficulties.

In these threads users were extremely outraged that the launch didn't go smoothly and harsh words were uttered which led me to thinking;

When does hype become harmful?

MvM was talked about by lots of popular board gaming personalities and the hype was palpable. Should Riot have eased down on their messaging? Should malcontented users take a reality check and realise there are worse things in the world than not getting into wave 1 of a new game? Are said users right to be upset the servers couldn't handle the workload, possibly denying them a coveted copy?

I usually expect the posts seen there to come from a younger audience and often find the manner of conversing quite pleasant on BGG... these past hours were rough though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sadistic part hopes that the game is awful and there will be a second wave of "bad hype" by people infuriated by the - lack of - quality of the game. devil

More seriously, I think there is an acronym that sums it up quite well : FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out).

Lots of people want badly their copy, there has been discussion on the percentage of LoL players who could by interested by MvM and the millions of copies necessary and now the ones without copies are crying ?
While there could be 1 or 100 printing runs in the next months ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been deliberately staying away because I fully expected a meltdown, and I'm in no rush. Sadly, I think you'll find that league of legends is pretty infamous for how toxic their community is. That's not to say there's aren't many wonderful and pleasant people there as well, but as the saying goes: a few bad apples spoil the bunch. And the LoL community is *huge* so you're going to find some vitriol. Welcome to the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
want badly their copy,

This is part of the problem. It's not "their" copy until they actually pay for a copy. Otherwise, it's "a" copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
want badly their copy,

This is part of the problem. It's not "their" copy until they actually pay for a copy. Otherwise, it's "a" copy.

Well ... let's say "they want a copy to become theirs".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am old and crabby and I automatically hate any game that shows up on the front page of BGG in more than five posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I am old and crabby and I automatically hate any game that shows up on the front page of BGG in more than five posts

I am old, crabby and live under a rock: I never heard of this game until just now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mb
I guess I am officially residing under a rock now. Never heard of it. Ahh, yet another pretty miniature game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Never heard of it.

Ahhh. Co-op.

It sucks.

Minions? Is that another way of saying "zombies"?

Initial diagnosis confirmed.

Have fun, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor babies crying because they cannot buy their game fast enough.

I would love to take them high in the mountains and show them what real problems are.

"Here is your knife, see you in a week."

If my life is not in danger I don't consider things "hostile."

Wimpsarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
texascpa wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
want badly their copy,

Well ... let's say "they want a copy to become theirs".

That's fine, but I think some people psychologically believe it is theirs by the mere fact they want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe is sold out of the Wave 1 October shipment, but, otherwise, with 15K games for the Wave 1 October shipment, 15K games for the Wave 1 December shipment, anyone who wants a game should have it by the end of the year. March will have card and other corrections to the game. 30K is *a lot* of units. Yes, if you want it by Christmas, you might not get a copy in time. Otherwise, for comparison, CMON's highest number of backers for a KS were Zombicide: Black Plague with 20K of pledges, and Massive Darkness, with 22K pledges. Customers are reporting that they can now make purchases. So, if you can wait for ten more weeks, you can order a copy now or tomorrow without hammering the servers.

If you like programming games (and a good amount of chaos) and chrome, you should enjoy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Minions? Is that another way of saying "zombies"?

Actually, yes. This game is based on an early self-published (in tiny quantities) game called Weapons of Zombie Destruction, in which the little monsters your mechs were destroying were, yes, zombies.

That doesn't bother me, though! Weapons of Zombie Destruction was a fun game, and since this is built on that chassis I'm expecting Mechs Vs. Minions to be fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I think you'll find that league of legends is pretty infamous for how toxic their community is.

Yeah, I had to ban my teenage son from playing the game because of the level of obscenity, misogyny, and outright violent vitriol that's prevelant on there. I'm not some fundamentalist who goes all twitchy at the first "damn," "sh##," or "fu##," but generally speaking the LoL community is just way over the top. Little surprise then that they're all eager to turn a minor inconvenience into a "kill the bastards" hurricane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
Sadly, I think you'll find that league of legends is pretty infamous for how toxic their community is.

LOL players didn't all suddenly sign up to BGG. The "Toxicity" came from the BGG community.

Someone should freeze frame and archive those boards. Next time someone claims board gamers are so much better/nicer than video gamers/jocks/toy collectors/Movie fans etc. we can wheel out the archives and remind ourselves we're all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see if this game flops or not.

Pete (almost never buys the "new thing")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Every review has spoken well of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Find a pre-release review that doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
matthean wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Tom has no qualms with talking bad about a game. He said it fired Robo Rally for him, and I believe it made his Top 30. You might not like his taste in games, but he does like this sort of game, and it is his favorite of its type. Joel also spoke highly of it. If both of them like it, and they both come from different styles of games, then I'm willing to bet the game is fairly solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
matthean wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Tom has no qualms with talking bad about a game. He said it fired Robo Rally for him, and I believe it made his Top 30. You might not like his taste in games, but he does like this sort of game, and it is his favorite of its type. Joel also spoke highly of it. If both of them like it, and they both come from different styles of games, then I'm willing to bet the game is fairly solid.

Don't know a Joel.

Must be thinking of a different Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
matthean wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
matthean wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Don't know a Joel.

Must be thinking of a different Tom.

Tom Vasel, Joel of Drive Thru Reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I have not found in that past that this is any guarantee that a game will succeed.

Pete (thinks that's doubly true for games with a lot of "bling")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than people looking to flip a copy for profit on eBay, I don't understand why anyone would be upset. It's not a limited item. The second shipment is only 2 months away. And, Riot indicated there would be more production waves based on interest.

I can understand that it might be frustrating if someone wasted their lunch break trying to purchase the game. But, 5 minutes in it was pretty clear the servers were smashed. The vitriol and entitlement displayed was ridiculous. Not sure how much it happened in the BGG forums, but I saw message about how Riot games needs to make it up to the community for this happen. There was even a campaign to have all the processed orders cancelled, the servers upgraded, and to have the game sold at a later date. It does make me wonder what these people are like offline. Are they as demanding, angry, and foul mouthed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
You people be such grumps.

Ok, you haven't heard of the game (you say with pride at your "not a follower" badge of specialness). Weird, because it's sitting right at the top of the "Hotness" list, but whatever.

It's hot and put out by a big company so you kinda hope it's awful? Um, automatically reacting against is just as sheeplike as automatically slavering after.

Or you really wanted it but couldn't get it and now you're pissed! Really? I mean, mildly annoyed, I could see, but actually angry? People need to get outside more.

I saw the Tom Vasel review, he made the game sound kinda cool. You and your team coop program your mechs to wipe out hordes of bad guys. Could be fun. I like the programming angle and adding a timer to the mix seems to get rid of the whole "alpha gamer" thing that plagues coops. Good reviews and lots of marketing muscle suggest this'll be at least a mid level hit, and maybe even a big hit.

Me, I almost certainly won't get it. I'm not big into coops and I've been overdoing the game buying lately. However, I don't mind if they sell gobs and gobs of the thing. Anything that gets people to play real games is good by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
You people be such grumps.

Ok, you haven't heard of the game (you say with pride at your "not a follower" badge of specialness). Weird, because it's sitting right at the top of the "Hotness" list, but whatever.

It's hot and put out by a big company so you kinda hope it's awful? Um, automatically reacting against is just as sheeplike as automatically slavering after.

Or you really wanted it but couldn't get it and now you're pissed! Really? I mean, mildly annoyed, I could see, but actually angry? People need to get outside more.

I saw the Tom Vasel review, he made the game sound kinda cool. You and your team coop program your mechs to wipe out hordes of bad guys. Could be fun. I like the programming angle and adding a timer to the mix seems to get rid of the whole "alpha gamer" thing that plagues coops. Good reviews and lots of marketing muscle suggest this'll be at least a mid level hit, and maybe even a big hit.

Me, I almost certainly won't get it. I'm not big into coops and I've been overdoing the game buying lately. However, I don't mind if they sell gobs and gobs of the thing. Anything that gets people to play real games is good by me.

Good lad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.