Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
mbmbmbmbmb
I got frozen out of ordering at 2:00pm ET. Waited for 35min but had to abandon the attempt.

I'm back trying 4 hours later...still the same problem...gateway timeout:

I'm not going to get angry, it's only a game after all, but wow. With all the hype, this was really botched.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/checkout/onepage

Give that a try. I had the same issue as you until I used that link. Riot Games Merch Facebook page posted that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this link and got the order: https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/checkout/onepage/////
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! BGG community always comes through.

Thanks for re-sharing the link. It worked fine. Got the confirmation email.

Still a little baffled by this process though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We're floored and humbled the the reception, and incredibly sorry it's been such a negative experience for folks.

While It doesn't excuse anything, or make your experience better, this is the first time we've done something like this, and we clearly botched the execution.

We appreciate your patience, and again, apologize for how poorly this has gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Debrick
United States
Milford
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did hype the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you get a failure page, add slashes until it succeeds!

Here's my quick guess on what's going on here:

Riot games is using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) called CloudFlare to serve content quickly to you. For some reason, the CDN is timing out on the main URL. (You probably saw a CloudFlare error page with a 504 error code.)

Adding more slashes causes the CDN to do a fresh request to the server (since the URL is not technically the same, but it ends up going to the same place), which succeeds for some reason. Cache busting FTW!

(For the record, caching is one of the two hard problems in computer science.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you get some gold and you get some gold and you get some gold.... Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez guys, cut them some slack. Companies use separate servers to handle merchandise and there is no practical way they could either anticipate or budget appropriately having hundreds of orders over a matter of minutes. It wouldn't be practical to devote so many resources for a couple hours of rush purchases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
We're floored and humbled the the reception, and incredibly sorry it's been such a negative experience for folks.

While It doesn't excuse anything, or make your experience better, this is the first time we've done something like this, and we clearly botched the execution.

We appreciate your patience, and again, apologize for how poorly this has gone.

I'm sorry that your release did not go as well as expected but hey at least you know the game is popular!

Thanks for providing us the opportunity to get what looks to be a fantastic game for a fantastic price! You guys rock, hiccups notwithstanding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:

First time you've done something like this? Didn't this company put out LoL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DebrickWookiee wrote:
You did hype the hype.

Actually, they really didn't do any hype. They just provided the game to reviewers, the reviewers and the community are the ones that did the hype. I expect that the reviewers hyped it because they think it is a great game and we all contributed to it because we think the same. We can't really fault Riot for making a good game can we?

So, Day 1 ordering sucked, you think anyone is going to remember or care about that in a year if the game is as good as it looks to be? I won't at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NaptownMVP wrote:

Yes. So it's the first time they've done something like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Physical merchandise is fundamentally different than digital merchandise and board games are a different subset than other types of merch.

Lots of very valuable and (unfortunately) painful lessons for us today. We're sorry we let you guys down, we know how frustrating the experience has been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the fact that game servers and websites servers are entirely different beasts. They are using Magento Software for their store, and its not exactly a whiz kid when it comes to handling high stress request loads.

Could they have prepared better and handled the rush better? Maybe, not likely. Standard web servers can only handle so many requests at once, and most tend to be set up to start denying requests if they start coming in too fast, to prevent crashes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:

We can fault them for being grossly unprepared for their game launch. How often does this happen now-a-days? All the time. It's just that it's new to the board gaming world. Well, get used to it. This is what major video game releases look like and customers support it by defending the companies that pull this stuff. If Riot, the extremely successful and popular game publisher, wants to sell its game at 11am on Thursday the 13th, they better be prepared to actually sell their game at 11am on Thursday the 13th.

I agree with this point completely. We failed today. It's fair to hold us to better standards than what we delivered. I think it's justified that you're frustrated and angry.

No excuses. We'll just try to learn from it and do better next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Riot Kades wrote:
Null Field wrote:

We can fault them for being grossly unprepared for their game launch. How often does this happen now-a-days? All the time. It's just that it's new to the board gaming world. Well, get used to it. This is what major video game releases look like and customers support it by defending the companies that pull this stuff. If Riot, the extremely successful and popular game publisher, wants to sell its game at 11am on Thursday the 13th, they better be prepared to actually sell their game at 11am on Thursday the 13th.

I agree with this point completely. We failed today. It's fair to hold us to better standards than what we delivered. I think it's justified that you're frustrated and angry.

No excuses. We'll just try to learn from it and do better next time.

As someone who just spent 7 hours trying to get one for her husband, I appreciate your clear communication and taking responsibility. Thank you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graison Swaan
Canada
Saskatoon
sask.
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe they should try Amazon's AWS. I hear it's pretty solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
NaptownMVP wrote:

The first time they've ever sold a high-demand product online? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NaptownMVP wrote:

Exactly. I'd guess that they've never had something on their merch store sell like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
graison wrote:
Maybe they should try Amazon's AWS. I hear it's pretty solid.

That sounds newfangled. How is that better than an old PC under Jeremy's desk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
NaptownMVP wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
NaptownMVP wrote:

Yes, really. How is this difficult to understand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stang
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NaptownMVP wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
NaptownMVP wrote:

Yep. Their merchandise store is not the focus of their business. Small sideline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
Chris its this kind of support response that makes a company great. Thank you for the humility and willingness to take ownership (as a proxy for the company on this forum). I hope that the heart of LoL leadership reflects the same perspective. I am a big believer that mistakes will be our greatest teacher if we would listen. Some folks never reflect on that and as a result get sucked into the a spiraling mess of repeated problems.

Hopefully, the adjustments won't be too difficult to make so that future offerings to the board gaming community will be smoother. Such a great game and great value.

Onward and upward...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.