Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graison Swaan
Canada
Saskatoon
sask.
flag msg tools
mb
This is a cut and paste from my order. Am I missing something?

Subtotal US$75.00
Shipping & Handling US$5.00
GRAND TOTAL US$90.05

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What state did you choose? I believe Riot is based in CA, and would tax Californians. (Your flag is Canada, and those don't look like Canadian prices.)

(My order was a straight $80 ($75 + $5 shipping), I'm in Colorado.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assume so, my order had a tax listed under it. Don't know why it's not showing on yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no tax on mine. Total was $80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graison wrote:
This is a cut and paste from my order. Am I missing something?

Subtotal US$75.00
Shipping & Handling US$5.00
GRAND TOTAL US$90.05

As a Canadian, I was charged $18.13 of Tax & Duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'm in California and was charged tax:

Item Subtotal: US$75.00
Shipping: US$5.00
Tax: US$6.76

Total:
US$86.76
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking at my order right now for Canada and it has the following:
US$75.00 Subtotal
US$20.00 Shipping & Handling ( i-parcel )
US$10.05 Tax & Duty
US$105.05 Grand Total

Everything makes sense except for the $10.05 USD Tax & Duty line. I was under the assumption that for this game sent to Canada it would only cost $75 USD + $20 USD. What is with the $10.05 Tax? Even if it was GST, that would only amount to ~$5 CAN so it does not make sense. Anyone else from Canada that has ordered the game encountered this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you paid $8.08 less than I.

UPS random custom fee generator I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not recall Chris saying anything about a tax & duties charge. It was $20 for shipping (reduced from $30 originally) plus the $75 USD for the game.

In this thread he specifically talks about the USA/Canada/Oceania/APAC being shipped DDP which I have never used before so I don't know if that typically includes this Tax & Duties charge.

Re: Let's chat about shipping costs.

Does anyone know the answer to this? Has any Canadian got the game for just $20 plus $75 USD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I'm looking at my order right now for Canada and it has the following:
US$75.00 Subtotal
US$20.00 Shipping & Handling ( i-parcel )
US$10.05 Tax & Duty
US$105.05 Grand Total

Everything makes sense except for the $10.05 USD Tax & Duty line. I was under the assumption that for this game sent to Canada it would only cost $75 USD + $20 USD. What is with the $10.05 Tax? Even if it was GST, that would only amount to ~$5 CAN so it does not make sense. Anyone else from Canada that has ordered the game encountered this?

Mine was $16.53. I'm not happy about this "extra" cost either. At least it was on the checkout page and I could make the decision at that point.

I must say, combined with the lovely server clog, this extra money has definitely soured the experience.

But I'm Canadian, so instead of actively doing something (like deciding not to buy), I'll passive aggressively express my displeasure in the hopes that someone notices.

But if UPS comes back and charges me extra, or this takes longer than a week to ship, or anything else goes wrong, I'm probably going to throw the hockey gloves on the floor and come out swinging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they reduced shipping by $10 only to make customs and tax extra so ends up the same thing!

I still haven't gotten through though so at this point it's kinda ridiculous. The hype is gone. I'll get it when I get it I guess, and let you guys be the guinea pigs for UPS and see if there's extra charges still coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid 4.13 tax in Wisconsin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did not pull the trigger. I didn't purchase it. Until I hear back from Riot regarding what it is I'm going to hold off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I did not pull the trigger. I didn't purchase it. Until I hear back from Riot regarding what it is I'm going to hold off.

To be clear, in my original post, I said this:

Sure, confirming it right now.

In all NA-fulfilled Countries (US, Canada, Oceania, APAC), everything is shipping DDP (Delivered Duties Paid) so that you pay all of your duties and taxes upfront as part of the initial purchase. You shouldn't have to pay anything later.

The only places that are DDU (Delivered Duties Unpaid) are non-EU European countries (Switzerland, Turkey, etc.) In those regions, there will be duties and taxes as the item is being delivered.

You pay all of your duties/taxes up front when it is DDP. You should not be charged for taxes or duties upon receipt as they are paid at the time of purchase. If that happens, then please contact our player support and we'll work with iParcel to figure out the root problem. I apologize that I set the wrong expectation, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:

To be clear, in my original post, I said this:

Sure, confirming it right now.

In all NA-fulfilled Countries (US, Canada, Oceania, APAC), everything is shipping DDP (Delivered Duties Paid) so that you pay all of your duties and taxes upfront as part of the initial purchase. You shouldn't have to pay anything later.

The only places that are DDU (Delivered Duties Unpaid) are non-EU European countries (Switzerland, Turkey, etc.) In those regions, there will be duties and taxes as the item is being delivered.

You pay all of your duties/taxes up front when it is DDP. You should not be charged for taxes or duties upon receipt as they are paid at the time of purchase. If that happens, then please contact our player support and we'll work with iParcel to figure out the root problem. I apologize that I set the wrong expectation, here.

Thanks Chris. So using iParcel, you are expected to pay for any taxes and duties based on your location plus the $20 for shipping and $75 for the game to ship it to Canada (or any other foreign country). Once you receive the game, you should not be charged anything by UPS and if so, then you (Riot's player support team) want to hear about it to fix the issue.

This would also explain why different people in Canada have different taxes due to federal (GST) and provincial taxes. I would expect people in Alberta to have the lowest due to only having to pay GST. I still don't like paying UPS their $10 fees for brokering the tax as I could do it myself. But shipping a large heavy box like this to Canada for only $20 is a deal. Thanks for following up.

I just placed my order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graison Swaan
Canada
Saskatoon
sask.
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in Canada but I'm having it shipping to North Dakota so I can pick it up later. It'll save me some money.
I ask cause there's no tax line in the summary. There's 10.05 somewhere being added randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
graison wrote:
I'm in Canada but I'm having it shipping to North Dakota so I can pick it up later. It'll save me some money.
I ask cause there's no tax line in the summary. There's 10.05 somewhere being added randomly.

Could you PM me your order number and I'll dig into it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record: New York State here and I had $5.25 Tax applied to my order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:

This would also explain why different people in Canada have different taxes due to federal (GST) and provincial taxes. I would expect people in Alberta to have the lowest due to only having to pay GST. I still don't like paying UPS their $10 fees for brokering the tax as I could do it myself. But shipping a large heavy box like this to Canada for only $20 is a deal. Thanks for following up.

I just placed my order.

You'd think but I got dinged the same $10 as everyone else for taxes and duty. 5% tax sure isn't $10!

UPS is trying another fast one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
heretic_dave wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:

I just placed my order.

You'd think but I got dinged the same $10 as everyone else for taxes and duty. 5% tax sure isn't $10!

UPS is trying another fast one?
UPS brokerage fees. They charge you money to take care of the taxes you owe.

$75 USD has $5 CAD Federal tax ($3.80 USD)
UPS is charging us ~$6.25 USD to take care of this so they collect the $6.25 USD fees plus the required taxes of $3.80 USD which works out to $10.05 USD.

They may also charge more fees for orders that have provincial taxes as it would be more work to collect taxes for two levels of governments than just one? This is just a hypothesis. No idea...

In the grand scheme of things, $6.25 is much less than UPS/FedEx typically charge which is around $20 USD so in a way we are kind of lucky here. Had it been delivered by standard USPS mail to our Canadian Postal Service we would have still had to pay the taxes plus the $5 processing fee Canada Post charges. We came out golden here with the very low $20 USD shipping fee we were charged. I don't think anyone could beat the $20 shipping that Riot arranged for us either via USPS or FedEx/UPS using standard methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, $6.25 is much less than UPS/FedEx typically charge which is around $20 USD so in a way we are kind of lucky here.

I certainly agree, however as generally is the case I wonder the reality of how much of that $6 is actually spent doing what UPS says.

We can literally go clear this stuff ourselves and its a one page form and costs no money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eve
Canada
Toronto
On
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my order invoice to Canada - Ontario.

Item Subtotal: US$75.00
Shipping: US$20.00
Tax and Duty: US$16.53

Total: US$111.53

$16.53 ?? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
heretic_dave wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, $6.25 is much less than UPS/FedEx typically charge which is around $20 USD so in a way we are kind of lucky here.

I certainly agree, however as generally is the case I wonder the reality of how much of that $6 is actually spent doing what UPS says.

We can literally go clear this stuff ourselves and its a one page form and costs no money.
100% Agree. I will self clear as much as I can but in this case, the savings we got in shipping has made me accept paying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missouri, Tax: US$3.17

Order Number: 110186571 if you want to take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Dittrich

California
msg tools
Hi All,

We've been seeing discrepancies for Canadian players who ordered in Wave 1 shipment #1, as it looks like they were charged extra duties/taxes. We are looking into this with the carrier iParcel and will let everyone know as soon as it's remedied and what our fix is.

The majority of my interaction has been on the following thread and will try to keep my responses there as this is popping up in lots of threads:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23952505#23952505

Feel free to send me a message if you have a concern other than duties/taxes but know that I am working on getting this resolved ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

-Chase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.