1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Star Realms» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Legend Series Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
SRL ratings: Elo, TrueSkill, Stang (recency 3/legacy). Stang (simple) has me at 34 ... I have recently concluded that I am not a fan of the Simple rating.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and welcome to the final stage of this three-part Legend Series event! Everybody here has already run a gauntlet to get this far: qualifying for promotion in Season 19 of the league, then duking it out in eight-player divisions against some of the toughest competition in the game to qualify for promotion a second time.

It is strongly recommended that all players who are promoted into the tournament subscribe to this thread. The projected start date for the tournament is October 22, though it could start sooner if all divisions have finished.

Here is our list of competitors:

Legend Legend Finish Tier
Series Series in of Format
Seed Player name record division division origin preference
---- ----------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ----------
1 NickRice 7-0 Comet 1 Iron V
2 HomerJr 6-1 Quasar 1 Platinum B
3 SweetJustice 6-1 Supernova 1 Platinum G1BEH
4 bmcfluff 6-1 Black Hole 1 Gold BH
5 Mortex 6-1 Bombardment 1 Silver B
6 Klemp 5-2 Galactic Summit T1 Platinum G1B
7 Bungo 5-2 Warp Jump T1 Silver 1BH
8 DeAr 5-2 Galactic Summit T1 Silver G1B
9 CrankyDay 5-2 Trade Mission T1 Silver BE
10 boj 5-2 Trade Mission T1 Iron 1B
11 kolok 5-2 Warp Jump T1 Bronze 1BHF
12 Zorrofuego 5-2 Quasar 2 Iron 1B
13 JTLondon 5-2 Bombardment T2 Platinum B
14 FuzzyLogic0 5-2 Black Hole 2 Bronze BH
15 Verrinho 4-3 Comet T2 Gold V
16 MarauderMo 4-3 Supernova T2 Bronze G1BEH

Seeds are determined according to the following qualifiers: record, placement in division, tier of origin, record against each other, coin flip.

Each match in this single-elimination tournament (except the final) is a best-of-three series; the final will be a best-of-five series. In the event that two players have differing preferences, the higher seed's preference will be used in the first game, the lower seed's preference should be used in the second game, and the higher seed's preference should be used again if a third game is necessary. Games will be played sequentially, rather than simultaneously. Results should be reported after each game.

Note the following exception on player preference: If only one player in a match has included Type F in their preferred format, that match will be played without Type F altogether. (Example: The 8th seed has a preference of 1BF, and the 9th seed has a preference of GE; the first and third games would be played as Type 1B.)

Edit: I have adjusted the way seeds are determined once I figured out that I would have too many conflicts with my original version.

Edit (23 Oct): I reserve the right to adjust the seeding tiebreakers in order to keep players from the same division from being matched in the early rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
SRL ratings: Elo, TrueSkill, Stang (recency 3/legacy). Stang (simple) has me at 34 ... I have recently concluded that I am not a fan of the Simple rating.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Fleets & Fortresses releases, players will have the option of changing their preference to include it; preferences may not be changed in any other way. If you would like to change your preference for this season, please geekmail me. (Players may already have expressed a change for next season, but I will not be using that preference for this tournament unless expressly instructed to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will #1 play #16 and so on? Are players from the same Tier with identical records ranked alphabetically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
Will #1 play #16 and so on?

Yes.

Quote:
Are players from the same Tier with identical records ranked alphabetically?

No. Players with the same record originating from the same tier are randomly sorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pyrah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bungo, checking in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Remy,

To clarify, my preference for next season will be Type A (including F), but my preference for the Legend Series will still be G1BEH. I don't want to spring a new card set on anyone - including myself! - in the middle of the Series.

Thanks!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
I don't want to spring a new card set on anyone - including myself! - in the middle of the Series.

Come on, Dave, you like exciting surprises (GB1EH), don't you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
lSweetJusticel wrote:
I don't want to spring a new card set on anyone - including myself! - in the middle of the Series.

Come on, Dave, you like exciting surprises (GB1EH), don't you...
Gambits and Events are not the problem. It's the stuff that they can get you sooner than you should have it that is the problem. This usually manifests itself in the Promo cards, but Fleets has its own share of big cards that most of us do not have a ton of experience dealing with yet.

I have seen plenty of 1B games go the way of the dodo because a Freighter or Blob Wheel got the Ark or Megahauler in deck 2. And at this point, there is not a single surprise left to be had in that game.

That being said, 1E may be my favorite format - a "balanced" game only means less opportunities for my opponent to mess up or miss a potential finesse. And I am really enjoying playing with Fleets so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Hi Remy,

To clarify, my preference for next season will be Type A (including F), but my preference for the Legend Series will still be G1BEH. I don't want to spring a new card set on anyone - including myself! - in the middle of the Series.

Thanks!

Dave

I will clarify the opening post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marauder Mo

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarauderMo checking in. I'd like to confirm my preference as G1BEH as well. Looking forward to this high stakes event!

Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to guess, I'd say the tournament will start on Monday, October 24. It's possible it could be a little longer, but unlikely that it would be any earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Verri
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Hi everybody, just checking in!

I will be on holidays until Tuesday morning (Italian timezone), good luck guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Aweberman wrote:
Hello, and welcome to the final stage of this three-part Legend Series event! Everybody here has already run a gauntlet to get this far: qualifying for promotion in Season 19 of the league, then duking it out in eight-player divisions against some of the toughest competition in the game to qualify for promotion a second time.

It is strongly recommended that all players who are promoted into the tournament subscribe to this thread. The projected start date for the tournament is October 22, though it could start sooner if all divisions have finished.

Here is our list of competitors (currently, a work in progress):

Legend Legend Finish Tier
Provisional Series Series in of Format
Seed Player name record division division origin preference
---- ----------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ----------G
1 NickRice 7-0 Comet 1 Iron V
2 SweetJustice 6-1 Supernova 1 Platinum G1BEH
3 HomerJr 6-1 Quasar 1 Platinum B
4 Mortex 6-1 Bombardment 1 Silver B
5 Klemp 5-2 Galactic Summit T1 Platinum G1B
6 Bungo 5-2 Warp Jump T1 Silver 1BH
7 DeAr 5-2 Galactic Summit T1 Silver G1B
8 CrankyDay 5-2 Trade Mission T1 Silver BE
9 kolok 5-2 Warp Jump T1 Bronze 1BHF
10 boj 5-2 Trade Mission T1 Iron 1B
11 JTLondon 5-2 Bombardment T2 Platinum B
12 Zorrofuego 5-2 Quasar 2 Iron 1B
13 Verrinho 4-3 Comet T2 Gold V
14 MarauderMo 4-3 Supernova T2 Bronze G1BEH

Seeds are determined according to the following qualifiers: record, placement in division, tier of origin, record against each other, coin flip.

Each match in this single-elimination tournament (except the final) is a best-of-three series; the final will be a best-of-five series. In the event that two players have differing preferences, the higher seed's preference will be used in the first game, the lower seed's preference should be used in the second game, and the higher seed's preference should be used again if a third game is necessary. Games will be played sequentially, rather than simultaneously. Results should be reported after each game.

Note the following exception on player preference: If only one player in a match has included Type F in their preferred format, that match will be played without Type F altogether. (Example: The 8th seed has a preference of 1BF, and the 9th seed has a preference of GE; the first and third games would be played as Type 1B.)

Edit: I have adjusted the way seeds are determined once I figured out that I would have too many conflicts with my original version.

Gold has not had a successful time in legends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't DeAr be seeded over Klemp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klemp wrote:
nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, he did all the hard work during the tiebreaker (winning 2 games) and I get all the benefits for being Platinum. Now I know how it feels to be high society. *sips wine* *pinky out*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pyrah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolok beat me twice too (head to head & play offs) but I'm higher tier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klemp wrote:

Yeah, there was just no way to make that work cross-division since I wanted to throw all 16 contestants into a pot and stir, so I settled on giving the higher seed to the higher tier of origin rather than trying to juggle positioning any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only had one player say they wanted to go with Fleets & Fortresses in the tournament. I'll put out a last call now for anybody else who wants to add it in (subject to the rule in the first post); if you don't want it, you needn't post anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bungo_Underhill wrote:

And it does seem to me we're on collision course once again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have our slate of 16 contestants.

I will start the tournament on Monday, October 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pyrah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
Bungo_Underhill wrote:

And it does seem to me we're on collision course once again... :)

Yeah looks like the seeding will mean half of the pairings will be people who qualified from the same division.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bungo_Underhill wrote:
kolok wrote:
Bungo_Underhill wrote:

Yeah looks like the seeding will mean half of the pairings will be people who qualified from the same division.
Good luck!

I am not above some creative manipulation to keep that from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:
Bungo_Underhill wrote:
kolok wrote:
Bungo_Underhill wrote:

Good luck!

I am not above some creative manipulation to keep that from happening.

I see no problem with playing against my previous div. rival - and not because I managed to win those matches -, but it may only be me, and also, you're the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How hilarious that all the efforts I made to randomize and sort everything fairly ended up pairing so many people from the same division together!

I have made adjustments to ensure this doesn't happen in the first round. In only one case will winning players from the same division meet in the second round; mostly players are now on opposite sides of the bracket. Most of these adjustments were performed in the lower half of the bracket; in all cases, only players who were tied in record and finish were rearranged.

After months of preparation, and after active competition going all the way back to August 15 ...

THE LEGEND SERIES TOURNAMENT BEGINS!!

As a reminder:

- each match is best two out of three
- the first game in each match should be played according to the listed preference of the higher seed (1 being the highest)
- the second game in each match should be played according to the listed preference of the lower seed (exception: no player is required to play with Fleets & Fortresses if they do not wish to)
- the third game in each match (if necessary) should be played according to the listed preference of the higher seed
- games should be played sequentially (that is, not all at the same time)
- for my own pleasure and amusement, please report results after each game, if possible (as opposed to at the end of the match)

Here is the link to the bracket:

http://challonge.com/bggsrlls

Here are the first-round matches:
F O R M A T
Seed Name vs. Seed Name Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
---- ------------ --- ---- ------------ ------ ------ ------
1 NickRice v 16 MarauderMo V G1BEH V
8 DeAr v 9 CrankyDay G1B BE G1B
4 bmcfluff v 13 JTLondon BH B BH
5 Mortex v 12 Zorrofuego B 1B B

2 HomerJr v 15 Verrinho B V B
7 Bungo v 10 boj 1BH 1B 1BH
3 SweetJustice v 14 FuzzyLogic0 G1BEH BH G1BEH
6 Klemp v 11 kolok G1B 1BH(F) G1B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.