Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Ganancial
Philippines
flag msg tools
Click to view this gamer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you don't have an opponent and want to play with a physical boardgame?

Check this out, World Smartest Chess Board:
http://en.chessbase.com/post/world-s-smartest-chess-board-is...

It can eventually be applied to some other similar games like Go, Checkers, Hive (jumping pieces?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can that even: "MOVE TWO TIMES" Variant; White begins by making two separate MOVES of two separate PIECES, with their opponent doing similarly on their own TURN. This could even become applied within them other, unless you're: "AFRAID!" surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go probably wouldn't work well. You'd have to move a lot of pieces to put down new stones in the middle of a position. You'd be better off with a robotic arm or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's neat, though I'm guessing you couldn't just put draughts men on the board and play draughts or Breakthrough. I doubt that would matter to the target audience though.

Thunkd wrote:
Go probably wouldn't work well. You'd have to move a lot of pieces to put down new stones in the middle of a position. You'd be better off with a robotic arm or something.

Quite. Informing me where my opponent played and me placing their stone would probably work best. Using image processing to work out the current game position would seem the ideal approach too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the video it worked ok when the knight moved so I think moving past other pieces isn't a problem. the issue for me is that in chess all the pieces are already present on the board, Go would need a staging area that is fed by a slide and hopper for the extra pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
In the video it worked ok when the knight moved so I think moving past other pieces isn't a problem. the issue for me is that in chess all the pieces are already present on the board, Go would need a staging area that is fed by a slide and hopper for the extra pieces.

Assume black's last move was in the upper left in that big dumpling looking shape. Say the fourth column from the left and the fourth row from the top. There's no good way to put a stone there without moving a bunch of stones out of the way. Pieces are meant to move in Chess, so when you see something move, it makes intuitive sense what happened. Pieces don't move in Go, so seeing a bunch of pieces moving and then moving back will be confusing. It could be confusing even figuring out which stone was placed on a turn. If there's a big capture in the middle of the board, you'd have to move a bunch of stuff out of the way just to move the captured pieces off the board.

This technology just wouldn't work well for Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the squares be made bigger and the pieces smaller? or would it just spoil the feel of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
Could the squares be made bigger and the pieces smaller? or would it just spoil the feel of the game?
Umm... it'd be a big change aesthetically at the very least.

If there were enough room for a piece to fit between two other pieces, it would be hard to distinguish at a glance whether two stones were connected to each other, or merely close to each other. Which would make the game almost unplayable. But honestly, I doubt you'd ever sell anyone on changing the look of the game.

I use Chinese style stones which have a flat bottom, but the Japanese style which are convex on both sides are more common. The boards for Japanese style are often designed with the lines to be spaced slightly smaller than the width of a stone, forcing stones to overlap each other and making it hard to fit everything on the board without pushing some stones under others. Many people prefer that look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Ganancial
Philippines
flag msg tools
Click to view this gamer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that this is just for chess and possibly checkers right now. But it is a pretty cool thing. As they say on the video it is like a Harry Potter thing.
Maybe they will bring this is in space and perhaps Mars and have the feeling of Physically playing with another person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razzmonid wrote:
What if you don't have an opponent and want to play with a physical boardgame?

Check this out, World Smartest Chess Board:
http://en.chessbase.com/post/world-s-smartest-chess-board-is...

It can eventually be applied to some other similar games like Go, Checkers, Hive (jumping pieces?).

So...

...Play by e-mail, then.

Really expensive play by e-mail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.