Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm not sure if i'm interpreting the Exploding Orb properly...

The item has these symbols:

- Manipulation ("The Hand")
- 2x red dice
- Area Effect

based on the Complex Manipulation rules (Player Book pg. 9), i interpret that as:

- place 1+gems in the Manipulation zone (up to the hero's limit, of course)
- roll the dice granted by the gems
- add the dice granted by the item
- profit! i.e. in this case, Big Boom.

What i don't get is: the item has no ranged attack indicator, and is an area effect item, so it obviously must be thrown (or else the wielder is also damaged).

Is there a to-hit value for the target space, or can it simply be tossed (without an additional roll) to any space within LOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig K
msg tools
The manipulation roll is for calculating range with each success equalling one zone of distance. So select a space you want to throw to, then do a manipulation test to see if it makes it to the targeted zone (it can fall short)the orb then explodes in the zone doing the 2 red dice worth of damage that is printed on the card to each unit in the zone it landed in (friend or foe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForeverDead wrote:
The manipulation roll is for calculating range with each success equalling one zone of distance.

i vaguely remember reading that somewhere but can't for the life of me find it again, so wasn't sure if i actually read it or imagined it :/.

Update: here it is, Heroes' Book page 9, "Throwing and catching an object".

ForeverDead wrote:
So select a space you want to throw to, then do a manipulation test to see if it makes it to the targeted zone (it can fall short)

And woe unto he who rolls no successes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related: strictly speaking, there is nothing in the Orb's description which says it is destroyed by the attack. i.e., a strict reading of the Heroes' Book, pages 9 and 18, indicates that the Orb is dropped in the target space, so it could therefore be picked up and used again. i sincerely doubt that is the intent, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Related: strictly speaking, there is nothing in the Orb's description which says it is destroyed by the attack.

Apart from the card's name Exploding Orb

sgbeal wrote:

Indeed.
Number of successes = max throwing distance.
0 success = 0 distance = your own zone. For the exploding orb, spending extra gem(s) to reroll might be wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Related: strictly speaking, there is nothing in the Orb's description which says it is destroyed by the attack.

Touché!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Roolz wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

sgbeal wrote:

Indeed.
Number of successes = max throwing distance.
0 success = 0 distance = your own zone. For the exploding orb, spending extra gem(s) to reroll might be wise.

Which also means that if you want to detonate it in your own zone, you do not need to assign a gem to manipulation, since no success/axe is needed. Or at least that is how I choose to interpret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
Which also means that if you want to detonate it in your own zone, you do not need to assign a gem to manipulation, since no success/axe is needed. Or at least that is how I choose to interpret it.

i suspect that the intended interpretation is that you must Manipulate and simply ignore the die roll (since the number of success is the maximum range, not the real range). e.g. if you roll 2 success, you can throw 0, 1, or 2 spaces.

In fact, on second thought, i'm certain of that because the Hand icon is the "cost" of using the item. If the cost isn't paid, the item cannot be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post edited :

You can see the complex manipulation icon on the orb card, so if you want to detonate it in your own zone, you have to put 1 gem in manipulation an throw 1 die...You're sure to have a success because you need at least to do 0 (blank side) or more.

If you just drop the orb in your zone as a simple manipulation (for free) that means you just put it down on the ground where someone else can pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
You can see the complex manipulation icon on the orb card, so if you want ton detonate it in your own zone I think you have at least to put 1 gem in manipulation an throw 1 die...hoping to do a blank side.

Rolling a blank is not necessary: the rules state (H. book, page 9) "if the hero succeeds, the hero drops the object in the target space."

Interestingly, because the Manipulation's difficulty is "equal to the distance from the hero to the chosen area," even a blank (zero) is a success in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When throwing an orb, it's considered as a complex manipulation. You choose the number of gems to spend in you throwing action then roll the same number of dice.
The result indicates the range. Then you roll the 2 red dice for damages.

Example : I'm playing Conan and want to throw an explosive orb in a range of 2 areas. My Manipulation is orange, so I decide to put 2 gems in manipulation, give me 2 orange dice.

If I do 0 as result, the orb explodes in my area.
If I do 1 as result, the orb explodes in the next area.
If I do 2, 3 or 4, the orb explodes in the area aimed, because when you do the exact result you need (or more) the object thrown falls in the area aimed.

When you know where the orb falls, you throw the 2 red damage dice.

That's how it has to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that is not correct (following the rules strictly). You have to roll the EXACT distance, otherwise it falls short or you overthrow (as clearly stated on p. 9)

as you can see, throwing the explosive orb is actually quite difficult!

but actually you should be using it like this (p18):

makes it a lot easier, right?
because it's a free action and does not require the spending of any gems. you can thrown it anywhere you have LOS and it does 2 red dice area damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
Actually that is not correct (following the rules strictly). You have to roll the EXACT distance, otherwise it falls short or you overthrow (as clearly stated on p. 9)

as you can see, throwing the explosive orb is actually quite difficult!

but actually you should be using it like this (p18):

You're marking the wrong text. The line above it is:

Quote:
If the hero succeeds, the hero drops the object in the chosen area.

i.e. successes count is maximum range.

"Succeeds" means "rolls at least the required number of successes," not "rolls exactly the required number..."

Loig wrote:
makes it a lot easier, right?
because it's a free action and does not require the spending of any gems. you can thrown it anywhere you have LOS and it does 2 red dice area damage.

It's not a free action: the Hand symbol on it means it requires paying a Manipulation gem. This is the "unless otherwise stated" part of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, don't worry. I was just making a silly point because of the unclear formulation and examples in the book it's all good. We too play it the way it's described in this tread of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger massé
msg tools
mb
If you just drop the orb in your zone as a simple manipulation (for free) that means you just put it down and its going to explode!

For sure and its clearly written in the french revisted Manual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.