$60.00
$20.00
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure whether it has been mentioned, here is my favorable way to play campaign games in Magic Realm. The setup is very simple. You just need to do very small changes of the game and it plays very well both in Realmspeak and in the physical game.

Venturing in Magic Realm Campaign
- Play Development and start with the first level as per Rule E5.
- You have four months to achieve two major goals:
1) To reach the Fourth (highest) level (= 27 18 regular VPs)
2) To finish Quests worth 17 Quest Points in total (using Questing the Realm setting, first month = 5, each additional month = +4)

Update 1: For the details of how to use the Quest Cards, you can check out Steve's Questing the Realm

Update 2: A set of the quest cards for PnP is in the Files section. Happy questing!

Yes, that sounds LOTS of points to get! But the Questing the Realm system is fully incorporated into the regular gameplay without any unnecessary burdens or complexity.

I've played dozens of games this way and I really enjoy playing with this setup for its rich roleplaying flavor, a strong sense of adventures, and a unpredictable yet vivid narrative. Each game tells a very different but rich tale of a specific character.

Also the regular VPs now have more meaning to me because I don't get VPs just for their own sake but for making a more powerful character just like experience points.

I've tried using two characters this way and the whole story have even more twists and plot lines. The Magic Realm becomes a fruitful sandbox allowing each character to create and develop their own stories along the way.

ADD: For more variety and shorter games, you can start the character at any level with the corresponding adjustments to the length and the VP requirements. For example, a character starting at Level 2 will have to get 21 VPs and 13 Quest VPs (i.e. one month shorter in effect).
This way you can even allow other players to join in when the game progresses on Day 1 of any month.

ADD: As per Rule E4 about multiplayer games, you can form a party with additional characters at a cost of +1 required VP for each.
... It would be interesting to add a new character in the middle of the game to help out your precious one in a desperate situation.

Yet I still found playing the full campaign is most rewarding.

Additionally, there are a couple of minor changes I would use concerning the stock missions and campaigns. These are only doable in the physical game by far:
- Do not use any of the original missions and campaigns.
- Instead, treat each mission and campaign chit as a generic "Quest" chit (with numbers 1 to 6 for tracking), i.e. NPCs who are looking for valiant heroes to take up the challenges. You can receive (but cannot replace) Quests from them in additional to the dwellings. In this case simply draw a (non "All Play") quest card at random.
- These Quest chits still flip and appear as per the standard rules.
- (Optional and more difficult) If you want to give up or replace a current quest, you have to compensate by paying (deducting) Fame points equivalent to its Quest VP. Actually I think the compensation can (or should) apply to Notoriety and Gold depending on the nature of the Quest. [ADD: Allowing abandoning Quests with a bigger penalty may also work.] I haven't fleshed out this part but will try to do it after finishing a physical card deck for the Quests.

EDIT: Typos and minor additions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A new simple campaign system with minimal changes of the original game
Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear it works, I was thinking of doing a very similar model, but using the Book of Quests instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
This does sound interesting. I've never been a big fan of the development variant because most of the characters start out so weak. Are there any characters you prefer to play with or any that just don't work at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
This does sound interesting. I've never been a big fan of the development variant because most of the characters start out so weak. Are there any characters you prefer to play with or any that just don't work at all?

In my experience longer games can usually increase the chance of survival of 1st level characters, just because the characters must proceed very cautiously in the first month. Don't forget that each starts out with a couple of Quests which can bring nice rewards early in the game.

My usual choices in the campaign game (starting from 1st level) are Amazon, Pilgrim, Magician, Druid, Swordsman, and Woods Girl, i.e. those starting out with speed 3 and 4 (or even 2) chits. for it can outrun most threats, unless you are using the stumble rule. The latter three play quite similarly in early games for their low strength.
Slow characters such as White Knight, Black Knight and Berserker are not the best choices as lone wolf. That being said, they can be useful if they team up with faster characters.
Other magic users are not very good for their lack of useful move and fight chits and knowing no spell yet.

I am no MR guru so these are just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note:

In Realmspeak, you can enable both Development Game and Questing the Realm with the following setting:
New Game > More House > No VP Restrictions for Development (check);No VP Development Ramp (uncheck)

For easier games, simply check "No VP Development Ramp". This way your character just need to gain 1 VP for each additional chit at all levels. Personally I do not check this option for a more challenging and thematic experience.

Also a set of the quest cards for pnp is available now in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried out this mode?

My strategy, though not perfect, is very simple: During the first few weeks, just poke around to locate (not necessarily find) as many sites and dwellings as you can. There is no need to rush or worry about looting or gaining VPs at this stage. After that you can sit back and plan the best (safest and most lucrative) route(s) to collect Treasures and complete Quests.

Do not activate the Quests in your hand so early, unless you are sure you can complete them without much risk. At the dwellings (at Birdsong), replace (unactivated) Quests at hand until you get the easy ones. The best are those offering gold as reward, which is very helpful in early games especially for the frugal characters.

So far it seems the easiest character for solo play is the Druid. After reaching the 2nd level, the Druid just need to roll 1 die for Hiding. At the 3rd level he is immune to Curses (Optional Rule 6.3); at the 4th level he simply won't trigger sound chits and warning chits (and also site chits under Optional Rule 6.3), which practically eliminates the need for hirings. As you can tell all these traits make this character an ideal treasure hunter and quest taker. His major weakness is probably his low (L) strength, which limits the weight of loot he can carry, but you can easily make up for this by getting a workhorse, or some powerful boots.
Just remember he is not a real fighter (unless he gets those cool gloves and swords), so when alone he should avoid conflicts, including troubles with the natives, whenever possible.
As for spells (Types II & VIII), I find Prophecy (II) most useful, unless you find the Timeless Jewel. But often learning spells is not absolutely necessary for winning the game in this variant.
I am often able to complete the objectives (reaching 4th level + 17 Quest Points) in three months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Mapmaker All-Play quests are ideal for this. All you have to do is trek through dangerous tiles. When you complete a route, you immediately get the fame and notoriety for it (which helps development and "You Are..." quests), and then you get the gold when you deliver the map to the House.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.