Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lair Base and Modifier Community Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still working on the Lair PSD Template as I am putting in all the lair pics into the template to make it easier for folks to create cards.

Idea: Have a deck of Base Lair cards so you can randomly choose the lair. Have a second deck of modification cards to modify a base lair in some way.

Base lair cards can be the standard lairs in the game or custom base cards.
Example:

Modifier cards change the base cards in some way. They are generic modifiers and not specific to a type of lair. If you need to change a specific type of lair then you would make a new base card.
Example:

I was planning on having the back the Myth 1.0 monster back.

Looking for ... Layout suggestions, Base card ideas, modifier ideas, whatever else you want to add
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, try to make it so that you can stack the modifier cards underneath the base lair and still get all the modifier info at a glance. Maybe not full explanations but maybe any TN/Health modifiers as well as any key words which can then have explanations below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
If possible, try to make it so that you can stack the modifier cards underneath the base lair and still get all the modifier info at a glance. Maybe not full explanations but maybe any TN/Health modifiers as well as any key words which can then have explanations below.

Yeah I was thinking the same that is why you could really show the left side of the modifier and stack the base on top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others already said; How about putting all the relevant information in a row or two on the top or bottom of the card so it can be stacked neatly beneath the lair card. That way you could increase the difficulty of the lair by adding several of those if needed and still keep everything quite clear and accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same that is why you could really show the left side of the modifier and stack the base on top

From a personal standpoint I'd prefer of the keywords like "spiked" stood out by themselves instead of being in-line with the rest of the text. It leads to a cleaner look. Otherwise, when I have the card partially showing from the left, you'll also see "along th" when it is peeking out the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I'll put up a couple pictures showing mods top/bottom and one with it on the side. Folks can decide which looks better. Traveling at th moment. I'll be back to my desktop on Wed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

While I really like the design and idea of the modular lair buffs, it still doesn't change the basic concept of the lair and that's something I want to get rid of.
It's not so much about making lairs harder to kill, but giving more story- / scene-based options to spawn monsters and to allow better control of the game flow (how long it will take to clear a tile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that card design. Simple and uncluttered and all the sections are meaningful. I was going to put your idea that you had in the other thread as a base but I can see there is a 3rd type called story. Why not shuffle all story and base in then draw one, then decide if you want to draw a mod card if it's a base? The mods and base that I gave were a simple example but I see them getting more complex not just harder. I don't want to get rid of lairs but add to and mod them while stil sometimes getting a classic lair.

If folks think this is all still worth doing then let's share a card back pic so they are the same.

Tobi, your idea and design for story lair card is great. To make it fit (if it's decide to do both mods and story) can you add this to the title section
Type: Any, Rank: Lair
Story

Let me know please by thumbs up if base/mod portion is still worth doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
I like that card design. Simple and uncluttered and all the sections are meaningful. I was going to put your idea that you had in the other thread as a base but I can see there is a 3rd type called story. Why not shuffle all story and base in then draw one, then decide if you want to draw a mod card if it's a base? The mods and base that I gave were a simple example but I see them getting more complex not just harder. I don't want to get rid of lairs but add to and mod them while stil sometimes getting a classic lair.

If folks think this is all still worth doing then let's share a card back pic so they are the same.

Tobi, your idea and design for story lair card is great. To make it fit (if it's decide to do both mods and story) can you add this to the title section
Type: Any, Rank: Lair
Story

Let me know please by thumbs up if base/mod portion is still worth doing.

I think, it's not a question of "either or". I like your idea a lot, especially with lair buffs as cards, that you just slide under the lair to add a few bad things! I see this as a quick and simple way to spice-up a tile. If I may suggest something here: Add a reward mechanic depending on how many modifiers you put on a lair or give each modifier its own uniquie reward, so players have an incentive to acutally use those cards.

I'm not really sure if it makes sense to mix both approaches. While you can draw a story lair at random, I find them more useful as a tool box for people that want to write their own adventures. If you do random draws, you end up with the same situation as with the quest deck, where the narrative often doesn't fit your current session.

I'll post any new cards here, if that's ok. Don't want to hijack your threat.

Edit: I'm also not sure, if I should call my lairs "lair". There are certain game terms associated with that expression. E.g. there would have to be a special rule on each card, that states, that - although it is a lair - it has no Vitality and can't be destroyed by just attacking it. There are also other effects and cards in the game, that refer to "lairs" and that wouldn't make much sense with the story lairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK sounds good. Yeah feel free to post your cards here. If I printed it out I would still use the same back though. I was thinking your story cards look a lot like mini quest cards but one of the uses could be you draw a card in place of the lair when you have a lair icon on the tile.

I know what you are saying you would use your story cards for, but a lot of times I like to see the story unfold before me even if you have to make up some inner story to connect the dots. Your story cards will give even more branches. Cant wait.

I will continue on with the lair mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like this one quite a bit, because it makes some use of the Agents of Darkness.

If you use this in a Story, you can also have the heroes aquire the Rift key by other means than defeating the agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And one more... these are a hell to fight through, that's why you get a big reward if you are foolish enough to put them on a 12x12...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that cocoon card is pretty damn cool. I agree these probably shouldn't be called lairs. What about events? I feel like these are things that would be on par with encountering a trap on a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since these are supposed to tell stories and a module has Acts, maybe these are Scenes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My idea was something along the line of "Story Spawn Events"... don't know, any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
Since these are supposed to tell stories and a module has Acts, maybe these are Scenes?

Not sure, if that's a good fit. For me, these events are just a part of the narrative, they don't make the narrative. IMO they are closer to special props that you put on the tile to support your story. Like when your party ventures through the dungeon of an old castle, it may be more fitting to imagine, that new monsters swarm into the corridor through an open portcullis, than them having an acutal lair there, on the 4x6, right beside the other lair from the previous tile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Making this part of the narrative is perfectly fine, but I don't think you have to if your characters are treating this as a miniature game. It's perfectly okay to introduce something like this as a challenge for them to take on. Those webs look nasty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I really like these ideas. My goal with Myth right now is to take the base game and modules/quests they give us and create a cohesive story of some sort. I plan on using a lot of personal and fan made ideas to create the best story. These ideas are perfect for that. I can see myself creating a mini module of a quest chain and using that portcullis or web idea to add to the flavor and feel of the story. And if we do an adventure session we can draw randomly from a lair buff deck to increase the challenge.

Once we get the last two waves I plan on sitting down working on these story chains and I can guarantee these lair/spawn point ideas will be in there.

So, in short, keep up the good work! These ideas are fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's the Elite Kite Squad!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.