Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punisher's Hail of Bullets card says, in part,
Quote:
[tech][tech] You may defeat that villain for free.
If the villain card in question has Fateful Resurrection, do I need to bother with that effect, or is it automatically defeated regardless? To clarify, if it said
Quote:
Fight that villain for free
then I wouldn't have a question, but it says defeat. Does that do an end run around Fateful Resurrection? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that when you get a "defeat a villain" action you don't have to worry about any fight restrictions (such as can only fight if only played one card or to fight must discard cards) but you still have to do any fight effects. Fateful Res is a fight effect so I think it would still happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just check Devin's comment at the end of this post:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/12734676#12734676
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As of the Dark City rules, "defeat" does not avoid "Fight:" effects. Also, note that "cards have no memory" and so the instance of that card which would re-enter the city may be defeated again, but no longer for free.

(There are occasions where you may want to do this, such as occasions where the Villain deck gets cards placed back on top of it, gets cards played off of it, or just plain gets shuffled.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
Does that do an end run around Fateful Resurrection?

In short the answer is no (because it's a Fight effect and you still resolve the Fight effect "after you defeat a villain for free").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.