Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil» Forums » General

Subject: [Cosmic Mythology] Script 7 Review - SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emily Rose
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
There seems to be a big problem with this script. The Mastermind can always prevent the Extra Gauge from increasing by always playing Forbid Goodwill on the Class Rep. The Mastermind also has to make sure that the Girl Student (Witness) does not get 4 Paranoia, which is a fairly easy task. The Mastermind can also easily prevent the Rich Man's Daughter from putting enough Goodwill on the Class Rep.

The Protagonists also cannot really figure out all of the roles, especially the difference between the two Unkillable roles. This script seems extremely broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
My group noticed that issue, though the mastermind didn't try it since they didn't think of that strategy until after the Class Rep had already been talked to once.

Thinking about it, the Mastermind can't keep the RMD away from the Class Rep safely. The protagonists only need to get them together once, and can then Forbid Movement x2 the next day for the second goodwill, and while the Mastermind can't play movements on the Class Rep without opening themselves up to risk, the protagonists can move her freely. The "natural" sequence of moves might look something like:

Days 1 and 2: RMD gets +3 Goodwill, Mastermind moves her to Shrine.
Day 3: Mastermind moves RMD horizontal, protagonists move RMD vertical.
Day 4: Protagonists move Class Rep horizontal and Forbid Movement RMD.
Day 5: Forbid Movement x2 for the second goodwill.

However, this sequence assumes that the Mastermind is playing "straightforwardly" -- no surprise diagonal movements, and no surprise "haha I didn't actually play Forbid Goodwill on the Class Rep today" tricks. So it will ultimately come down to a wine-in-front-of-me situation on the third/fourth day where the protagonists and mastermind need to predict each other's plays.

The problem is that the protagonists can't be reasonably expected to attempt this on the first loop, since it will take a couple days for the Forbid Goodwill every day to become suspicious, and getting the RMD set up takes a while. And if they don't get their EX until the third loop, they're going into the last loop without having had a chance to get much information, especially about the loss condition. So a lot of the game is really going to come down to one or two days in the middle of the second loop, and if the protagonists lose the WIFOM there, they're in serious trouble even though there are two whole loops left. That's a lot more weight than I'd normally like a single day's mindgames to have.

I'm not convinced it's a taboo exactly, but I definitely don't like that that strategy exists, and it's stronger than I'm comfortable with it being. I wish this were a No Forbid Goodwill script, or at least had a Pop Idol included.

(The difference between the two Unkillable roles is actually totally doable for the protagonists to figure out -- if the Mastermind is blocking Class Rep, then the Mastermind isn't blocking the Shrine Maiden. The reason they can't win the final guess is the Witness, who is pretty much impossible to find without having the Shrine Maiden inspect random people and hoping for luck.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.