Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to make some coop scenarios. But I want them to be balanced. In most minis games this is easy. But FG assumes the players are attacking one another AND the enemy. If they are not attacking each other the enemies get a disadvantage mathematically. Has anyone looked under the hood and figured out how to offset this, by awarding the enemies more points? Also, how many points are various creatures worth? Would be great to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Frostgrave is the kind of game that you can mathematically balance. You're just going to have to work it out through through trial and error. Aside from the monsters' stats, how their AI works will have a impact on difficulty.

What kind of scenario did you have in mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The level of the Wizard and the strength of the war band determines how difficult you make beasts in the creature phase, last night scenario was a mountain complex With lots of Maze like tunnels with three players Playing in a 24 x 24 area but it was six levels high. Only two players encountered each other During the whole game And that was briefly. There was a 50% chance that a creature would appear on a roll of 10 or less. We usually make a D 20 table with the lower numbers Revealing much harder monsters . So if you roll a 20 You might get a giant rat. But if you rolled a one you would get the strongest monster That would work for the level of war band were at.

We have played games from level I wizards to level 20 wizards, and managed to find a way to balance out the creature phase, because it's usually also relative to how much terrain you have on the board, if there's lots of towers and open terrain where shooters can dominate and the treasurer is consolidated in the center of the board where you know they'll There will be war band conflict you make the creature phase roll a higher number . So there is A less percentage of chance that they show up. Depending on the scenario we can also have where the number needed to roll for the creature phase goes down , making it easier for the creature to appear every turn . For games where there's more treasure that a player can haul off and we want to discourage them at the end of the game to take what they have been run, you could have the Creature phase number go up making creatures appear less and less each turn.Are have the creatures appeared conditionally every time you touch a treasure a construct or ghost appears. So you have lots of elements that you have to consider no straight-line mathematical formula would work

I can think of only one game out of dozens And dozens of games that we played where creatures dominated the game, and that had more to do with consistently bad Creature phase rolls,

So it's not so much a straight line mathematics as looking at all the components in your home growth scenario and balancing the creature phase with those components and the level that the war bands are at. And remember because of the swing of a D 20 you could play the same game several times and get completely different outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
I don't think Frostgrave is the kind of game that you can mathematically balance. You're just going to have to work it out through through trial and error. Aside from the monsters' stats, how their AI works will have a impact on difficulty.

What kind of scenario did you have in mind?

Couldnt' agree more on the balance. Or rather lack their of. If i want balance i'll play chess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.