Subject: Can companion use Catacombs tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Companion use the Catacombs tile to teleport, even though the tile only refers to moving your Merchant stack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I followed the rules as written.

You can use the Companion to trigger the Catacombs, which will teleport your Merchant stack. Similarly, when Companion triggers the fountain, your assistants are recalled back to your Merchant stack, and not the fountain.

It's a good tactic to leave your Companion near either the Catacombs or the Fountain, for just this purpose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
This somehow seems to good, could the designer or someone else pitch in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as good as it seems, I think. If you were able to use the destination action, then it would be overpowered. As it stands, all you get is the free resource (as well as being able to move your stack). You don't even get to pick up your lone assistant at the destination, if there happens to be one there.

There are circumstances in which you'd use it, like only needing one more ruby but it's on the other side of the board. But you'd have to be at least three moves away to make it worthwhile, as it will always take at least two to get to a desired location and use it using Catacombs - the Catacombs action to get you close, then moving to the destination and using the action. I expect you could combine it with discarding 3 seals though to do it all in one round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McWhorter
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
You lose....
badge
Think outside the box!
mbmbmbmbmb
cinderbike wrote:
Can the Companion use the Catacombs tile to teleport, even though the tile only refers to moving your Merchant stack?

Thematically, it doesn't make sense for the merchant to "teleport" based on the action of someone not him. Also, under the companion section of the rules, it talks about cards that affect the merchant stack not applying to the companion unless the card specifically states the companion. Extrapolate the card rules to the board, which seems reasonable, and the answer would be no. The companion can't cause the merchant stack to move around the board by utilizing either the Catacombs (25) or the Fountain (7) and neither can the family member. The only reason you would move the companion or family member to the Catacombs (25) would be to collect the free resource and the only reason to move the companion to the Fountain (7) would be to interact with one or more of the encounter pieces.

No. Only the merchant stack can fully utilize the Catacombs (25) tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've already had official confirmation that the Companion can activate the Fountain (as can the family member). I see no reason to believe that the same would not apply to the Catacombs. Do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McWhorter
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
You lose....
badge
Think outside the box!
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:
We've already had official confirmation that the Companion can activate the Fountain (as can the family member). I see no reason to believe that the same would not apply to the Catacombs. Do you?

I don't know how you read that as official confirmation. Other than someone simply stating that it is who isn't credited on the game or with the company stating that it is. Also, even if an actual FAQ was posted stating all of those uses, why would you want to play something that breaks the theme so horribly? The idea of the Fountain itself is for the merchant to call his assistants back over to him, how is the family member doing that from the Fountain to another space. And it doesn't address my point about the cards. Why would cards be restricted but not the Locations themselves, shouldn't there be an increased amount of power the Merchant boss have over his subordinates? Or do I just enjoy cohesive logic to my games more than the average player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McWhorter
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
You lose....
badge
Think outside the box!
mbmbmbmbmb
onorc wrote:
jlwill wrote:

I don't know how you read that as official confirmation. Other than someone simply stating that it is who isn't credited on the game or with the company stating that it is. Also, even if an actual FAQ was posted stating all of those uses, why would you want to play something that breaks the theme so horribly? The idea of the Fountain itself is for the merchant to call his assistants back over to him, how is the family member doing that from the Fountain to another space. And it doesn't address my point about the cards. Why would cards be restricted but not the Locations themselves, shouldn't there be an increased amount of power the Merchant boss have over his subordinates? Or do I just enjoy cohesive logic to my games more than the average player?

I re-read all of the rules and take it all back. Yes, as dumb as it is thematically , teleport away. Also, I don't count someone random stating something as official as an official response. Though he probably is official and needs to update his profile page with official credentials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onorc wrote:
someone random stating something as official

That's a good point... I've only come to know Ralph as an authority after subscribing to and reading the Istanbul forums for a year or two.

However, after doing some searching, here's something to back it up
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19221303#19221303
(Second paragraph in the quote)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
onorc wrote:
onorc wrote:
jlwill wrote:

I re-read all of the rules and take it all back. Yes, as dumb as it is thematically , teleport away. Also, I don't count someone random stating something as official as an official response. Though he probably is official and needs to update his profile page with official credentials.
I'm the developer and editor of Istanbul and the expansions (and mentioned in the rulebook and on the box) and I don't think you can find someone more official than me here

Besides this I don't see the difference in claiming my answers being official to writing it down in my profile. I hope you'll trust me in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McWhorter
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
You lose....
badge
Think outside the box!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having a rushed/poor time that day and was irritated at everything for whatever reason. I usually don't post on forums, let alone troll them. We all have those days I guess. My apologies.

I love the game. One the best games made in recent years for a medium complexity game with low playtime.

And honestly, I never use the fountain because it means I wasted a turn somewhere and I hate to waste my turns. Companion adds a reason to go, but you can get him from the kiosk too.

Now that I've royally hijacked this thread, I think I'm done posting to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onorc wrote:
I was having a rushed/poor time that day and was irritated at everything for whatever reason. I usually don't post on forums, let alone troll them. We all have those days I guess. My apologies.

I love the game. One the best games made in recent years for a medium complexity game with low playtime.

And honestly, I never use the fountain because it means I wasted a turn somewhere and I hate to waste my turns. Companion adds a reason to go, but you can get him from the kiosk too.

Now that I've royally hijacked this thread, I think I'm done posting to it.

Eh. If that was your best attempt at being irritated, you don't have anything to worry about.

I personally like it when folks questions things because it forces everyone to reconsider/prove their points vs. taking everything at face value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.